Maybe you can help me settle this. | SouthernPaddler.com

Maybe you can help me settle this.

Birddog

Jun 17, 2005
MN.
www.catch-n.com
I am having a debate about Chilli beans and Kidney beans, is there a difference. I think that there is a difference. It is getting the time of year when a warm bowl of chilli sounds awful good. Share some Recipes if you have some.

Thanks BirdDog

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It is my understanding what are considered Chili beans are Pinto beans while folks like my self use Kidney beans in there chili.

There is a different recipe for chili as there are people cooking it.

Mine is About 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of hamburger or chopped beef. Brown it in a pan then add it to a pot. ...............( Sometimes I use equal amounts of turkey burger and hamburger , I have even added , cooked, ground sausage , to it )

Add two cans of kidney beans, drained
Add two cans of diced tomatoes, juice and all
Add one good size onion diced up.
Add finely chopped bell pepper, garlic and anything else you like and the amount you like.
Add water to cover all of it.
Add chili powder, to taste along with some salt and pepper.

Let it simmer most of the day, adding more liquid as needed because it will cook down.
ENJOY IT
The left overs are taken and mixed with some cooked elbow macaroni, everything is put in a casserole dish ( some water is added) and baked in the over till good and hot, sprinkle cheese over the top and dish it up.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Bird Dog,

I aint sho bout the beans, but we like black ones best. I have made chili outta beef, pork, sausage, chicken, etc., but we like venison best.....duck breast chili wuz mitey tasty.

I buy chili powder by the quart. That way I dont hold back. I buy cumin by the quart fer the same reason. Cumin makes yer food taste like a Mexican cooked it. A pal frum Las Cruces showed me that.

Sometimes I add celery, includin' the leaves. Sometimes I use Zatarains, sometimes I use pickled jalapenos. Sometimes I use some of the dried peppers Montezuma give me.

We like tomato paste chili. Sometimes I dont add any vegetables....jest meat 'n seasonin' (mebbe some small chopped onion 'n garlic). That way I jest git some chips 'n dip away....'er put it on a baked tater.

Like Ole Emeril sez "bacon" rules. It kin even make a fish taste okay, :lol: but dont try ta make fish chili.
011.gif

regards
bearridge

The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop. P. J. O'Rourke

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The difference is simple. I bring pinto, great northern, and Navy beans into the house, cook and eat them.

Neither kidney beans nor tofu will ever cross my threshold. They - like hot dogs, bologna, and gritz - are what we give to city kids. They don't know any better than to eat that stuff.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Neither kidney beans nor tofu will ever cross my threshold. They - like hot dogs, bologna, and gritz - are what we give to city kids. They don't know any better than to eat that stuff.

I made this and it is pretty good. Jack would love it.

Have this ready and set aside..................................
2 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans and enough water to cover them
1 LB tofu, squeezed dry and torn into bite size pieces.

Preheat the oven to 350
Whip together
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Pour this over the prepared tofu pieces and squeeze in so all the liquid is absorbed evenly> Spread on a cookie sheet .... 1 Tbsp oil
Spread the tofu pieces on the oiled sheet and bake for 20 minutes flip them over and go for 10 more minutes.

Saute in a heavy pot until tender
1 Tbsp oil
1 large green pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced

Add these to the above items in the pot.
The cooked beans and water
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
The baked tofu pieces. Bring to a simmer and serve it up. :D

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Birddog;

As some folks would say (and I am surprised they haven't yet):

Real chili doesn't have beans in it!!! :wink:

Course, I am not one of those. The canned chili beans are usually pinto beans. My mom always used kidney beans. I always use black beans. My sister's brother-in-law uses diced potatoes because his family doesn't like beans.

Use what you like, it makes the recipe your own. By the way what is your recipe?

DM

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I am makin' chili. I added a half a bell pepper, two large wild garlics, a small onion, mushrooms (Miz Bear likes 'em in chili), etc. Last month I cleaned out a jar fulla pickled peppers (jalapeno mostly). I put the peppers (been in that jar nigh on three years now) inta the dice-a-lator. A spoonful iz near bout all ya need fer a pot of chili...but this time I added a can a tomato with green chiles 'n reglar chili powder too. I saved the vinegar, but that stuff kin hurt ya. I aim ta put a few teaspoons in my red beans, jest before they are ready.

I make chili in my wok. I like the way it browns the meat 'n stuff dont splash all over the stove.

I been outside shootin' pecans off a plank. Life aint too bad rite now. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

The lion and the calf shall lie down together but the calf won't get much sleep. Woody Allen

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was going to say something but did not do it.......Real Chili Does Not have BEANS in it.

Here is a recipe from the trail drives back in the good old days. It is almost Chili.

Remember you are on horse back all day eating dust and cussing while thinking about something to eat and a place to sleep. "O" By the way if the cook was not worth his salt in these times he was ..............HISTORY......

Going back to the Cattle Drives 1800s...........

Sonofabitch Stew.

2 pounds lean beef
Half a calf heart
1 1/2 pounds calf liver
1 set of sweetbreads
1 set of brains
1 set marrow gut
Salt & pepper
Louisiana hot sauce

Kill off a young steer. Cut up the beef, liver and heart into 1-inch cubes, slice the marrow gut into small rings. Place in a Dutch oven or deep casserole. Cover the meat with water and simmer for 2 or 3 hours. Add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
Take sweetbreads and brains and cut into small pieces. Add to the stew. Simmer another hour, Never boiling.

By jaunty John White of the N. Bar Ranch in Montana....... (Back Then)

Chuck.
PS... Did ya notice ... No Beans in it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If'n ya want beans .... Here is another one from John White. N. Bar Ranch .. Back then.

Cowboy Beans

2 pounds pinto beans
2 pounds ham hock or salt pork
2 onions chopped
4 tablespoons sugar
2 green chilies
1 can tomato paste

Wash the beans and soak overnight. Drain, place in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Add remaining ingredients and simmer till tender.
Sample the beans while cooking. Add salt to taste and water as needed.

Chuck.

islandpiper

See? the Navy has their own bean.....Marines probably do too, but they'd be in smaller packages and twice as tough, but NO AIR FORCE BEANS.....looked all over the shelves......none to be found.

Subsitute grits when the recipe calls for AIR FORCE beans.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
We always figgered navy beans as about .45 caliber, and Great Northerns at the 20 mike mike level. Pintos make for gooder lubrication.

Some beans ain't worth skid marks. Limas come to mind - another food for unsuspecting city kids.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
Louisiana hot sauce
Friend Ole Sparkey,

I dont reckon they had that back on the trail drives, but I bet they had somethin' ta kick a calf heart up a notch. What do ya reckon they done with the other half? Reckon they ate it raw....like the people showed Ole John Dunbar? Cowboy sushi?

Truthful Jack,

What kinda hot sauce did ya'll use on Mister Chisolm's Trail? I never heard a Cowboy Tofu, but I reckon the Hollywood movin' pichur makin' folk will tell us it wuz on ever chuckwagon...rite beside the pastel table cloth.
1211.gif

regards
bearridge
sideways bound

Woodrow Call: Gus.
Gus McCrae: What?
Woodrow Call: Why not go up to Montana? Its a cattleman's paradise to hear Jake tell it.
Gus McCrae: Sounds like a damn wilderness if ya ask me. 'N we're a shade old to start fightin' Indians all over agin, dont ya think?
Woodrow Call: I mean it, Gus. Why not, go north with a herd?
Gus McCrae: I'll tell ya what. You ride on up there, clear out the Indians, build a little cabin, get a nice fire goin' in the fireplace 'n me 'n Jake will gather a herd 'n then we'll come on up.
Woodrow Call: I'd like to see the herd that you 'n Jake could gather. Herd a whores, maybe.
Gus McCrae: Well you aint no more a cattleman than I am, Call, 'n ya know it, too.
Woodrow Call: I wanna do it, Gus. I wanna see that country, before the bankers 'n lawyers all git it.

Birddog

Jun 17, 2005
MN.
www.catch-n.com
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I will be eatin a lot of chilli, because I want try out those recipes. Deer season starts this Saturday around here ,maybe if I am lucky I can try out a venison version of one of em. I don't think that I want to eat any b-4 huntin or I am afraid that I might be mistaken for a snorten buck. FIRE IN THE HOLE!! jack stepping in here