Merry Christmas | SouthernPaddler.com

Merry Christmas

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
seedtick said build it and if you don't like it, give it away. I like this one a lot, but I'm still giving it away. It is my son's Christmas present.

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dear BeeKeeper Daddy, I am your long, lost son from Ypsilanti, and am very glad I found you. Mommie has told me a lot about you and the boats you build, and I'm anxious to meet you tomorrow morning......... :wink:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Naz said:
Bee
Thats a really sharp looking Christmas present there bubba. He should be really happy with it
Are you gonna start on a Bayou skiff for yourself now ? :D

Thanks for the compliment. I don't know if I will ever build a Bayou Skiff. The "firewood" skiff I built is better suited for my needs. It is narrow enough to paddle well and more stable than most pirogues, kayaks, etc. Seedtick and Keith's ideas and help were right on target when I discussed my goals. Uncle John changed it into a skiff more suitable for oars and outboard power ( a popular idea, judging by the response on here). Boats evolve. That is the beauty of designing and building them yourself. This design is my attempt to improve the skiff I built. I don't know if it is a skiff or a pirogue with a transom. Somebody should post some definitions.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks JimmyW, Coal, Oyester, And Chuck for the kind words. It is very pleasing and up lifting after all the work that goes into a boat. This site is great and lots of fun.
The transom was used to allow for easier hauling in the truck and to have a wider bottom width close to the stern. Also handy for installing a trolling motor if wanted. My son picked out the colors. Ms bee will not let me do colors. :lol:

Keith and seedtick thank y'all many times over for your advise and help. Your time and compliments are appreciated.

Kayak Jack I am flattered at your attempt to claim kin. I would like to meet you, but you must rethink this idea of being my son so you can have a boat. The boats I built have flat bottoms, chine logs, nails and screws, and are painted. It would not be good for your reputation if people thought we were related. :wink: I do take you effort as a compliment. Thank you. :)

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, Dad, you're right. A flat bottomed boat with screws and nails is sorta against my religion. But (sniffle, maybe a sob or two) I was prepared to make an exception (another sniffle) for our relationship. (outright sobbing here).

Now, I guess I'll just go eat worms. (broken hearted sobbing trails off into a misty distance)

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
mr keeper that is a good looking boat. your son may not never stay at home now. :wink: yea like the sqare tramson & the keels. i guess you could adopt ky jack :lol:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
catfish
My son is grown and lives with his wife and our two grandchildren. We hope this boat will help us fish, paddle, and spend more time together. I know if I would have adopted Kayak Jack he would have been around all the time. Thought for a minute he was liking a flat bottom, painted, boat that had nails and screws instead of epoxy and fiberglass holding it together. I'm still flattered by this slight hint of such. :wink: :lol:

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Shucks, Big Daddy BeeKeeper, I'd have eaten you of house and home. Less'n you eat gritz or okra. But I work for my keep. I'm not afraid of work at all; I can lay down and go to sleep beside it most anytime.

TopWaterboy

Dec 29, 2009
Louisiana
Merry Christmas Mr. Bee! That's a fine looking boat, and I know your son is going to enjoy his maiden voyage. I've finished the woodwork on my pirogue, and I'm hoping for a few sunny days to finish her. Thanks for the help and all the advice. As you have said, this is definitely a fine site to visit. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and heckles. Most of all, I truly appreciate the wonderful works of craftsmanship that y'all have been able to create.
TopWaterboy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
TopWaterboy

Your boat is looking good. When you get the finish on it, post some pictures. I know your proud of it, and rightfully so.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The boat was too big to fit under the tree. My son had to settle for this, until I could deliver the boat.

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

beekeeper