minnesota river from jordan to shakopee in thunderstorm | SouthernPaddler.com

minnesota river from jordan to shakopee in thunderstorm

bret

Apr 19, 2005
shakopee mn.
my new girlfriend and I went on a nice canoe trip in late july . we got dropped off in jordan heading down river to shakopee . it was a beautiful start tell we got to the carver rapids ,it started to thunderstorm. we went through the first set of rapids but I didn't know about the other set ,just down river about 300 yards and around the bend. so we decided to take cover before trying the run over the rapids sence I've never seen them before. well we went to the south side of the river under a big elm ,got out of the canoe and scramble up the bank looking for a place to pitch the tent . when we got up the 15 foot muddy to your knees bank we decovered that it was swamp land ,not suitable for tent land .so we looked at this part of the bank that had been collapsed ,it was just big enough to put the tent on . so we got the tent up and got inside and it was leaking profusely .not ony that the bank was starting to collapse down on us ! we lost everything ,the tent,sleeping bags,lantern,ect.we barely got out . to make matters worse the canoe was parked at the bottom and the mud dumped right in filling it up to the gunwhales. ....nice huh ? we struggled to empty the boat of this wet stickey galatinous mud when I noticed that my sweetheart who was very misreable and soked from head to toe was becoming hypothermic . we were 6 miles by water to the nearest boat ramp ,no shelter ,no fire ,nothen dry .and we still had to do the rapids . so in the boat we went ,she was in front and I was steering . just as we went over the 3 foot drop the canoe stoped dead in the water . the water was boiling all around us my soon to be wife was probably thinking early grave. she didn't move an inch she was petrafide the water was an inch from the gunwhales . I was worried about the rash of crap I was going to get for killing her on this dark muddy cold river miles from help . all I could do was drop my legs and bounce up and down to see if I could get the boat going again .and it finally worked . the boat shot over the spill and down the rapids we went . we made it through fine . and with a sigh of relef we both said thank god right when a lightnig bolt hit near and dam near blew our eardrums out . then my wife to be got real quiet for about a mile ,she was siting straight up and all I could see was her back .she didn't move a inch .so I pulled over to the nearest sandbar and got out .her lips were purple and she couldn't talk without having her teeth chatter out of her mouth . I told her she had to hang on and do her best to start paddling because it was the only thing that was going to save her life . She did good and we made it all 5 miles without a word to me ,tell we got in the truck turned and screamed what are you trying to do kill me ? that was a year ago and now the ice is off the river and flooded she wants to go again .....what a trooper .