Mississippi River trip | SouthernPaddler.com

Mississippi River trip

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Hi Folks
Well I finally got to go on a Vacation with Ms. Val. Been 8 years since the last trip we have been on together. Now that we are retireded we did it. And we took our boats along. We went to Iowa for 3 weeks. Had a great time and did some very interesting paddling on the Mississippi, and the Cedar rivers.
100_1720.jpg

This is what we took to live in for the Vacation time. This shot is of my boat ( Pirow TV) straped to the top.
100_1719.jpg

This one is of Vals on the other side. They fit great up there and didn't change the fuel much. I put them nose first so's they would cut through the air more better.
100_1751.jpg

Upon arriving in Iowa we were shown fer the first time our newest Grandaughter Danni. The first daughter of our middle son and his wife. ( Toby & Rhonda)
I think she will grow up to paddle, she is ^ months old.
100_1759.jpg

At the first camp we stayed at on the Cedar River the whole Iowa crew came to camp. And all 4 of the Grand Kids got to come out and see the river. Abby, Danni, Trenton,Cobain

Then it was time to put the new boat on some water to see if it was gonna float. I decieded to put it on the Big Muddy First
100_1782.jpg

Yep it still ain't takin on water so it must be gonna work.
100_17831.jpg

Then it's Abby's turn to ride. As for all my Boats she getts to ride with me on the first wetting day.

100_17921.jpg

100_1787.jpg

100_1785.jpg

It floats it's a mirical. Then put me in it and we will see. Give me water i gotta go paddle
100_1800.jpg

Gotta watch out they got BIGGGG BOATS ON HERE>
Well it went very well for the new boat.
Val and I paddled almost every day on the Miss, for 2 weeks. We did hit some heavy wave action a couple times when we stayed out on the Illinoise side in the swamp area to late in the day, But I had no problems from her or my boat. As you ( Ron can see I have not cut my hatches in as of the trip. It is going to be done this week or next. I don't want to jump up and hurry toooo much. I am just figurin this retired ment thing out and listening to Chuck and some of the elders on here I need to keep it slow and easy.
I will be posting the rest of the story later.

See Ya On The River
Joe

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Looks good, Joe, and the Grandbabies look good too.

These wooden boats we build travel from shallow swamps, through creeks and rivers, over lakes, and down large rivers to the sea. One boat, traveling from a small, marshy area, clear to the sea. Now that's something.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joe ....

Good for you and Val , about time to kick back and have some fun and on your river no less , the big muddy. Yes , you are right and I think you have found going slow and smelling the roses is way more fun then rushing along , especially if you don't have to rush. :lol:

I was wondering what happen to you and if the TV was done , figured you went into hibernation in the forest and would show back up in cooler weather. Should of known Val would have you up there visiting the grand baby , ( or was it you having Val up there ???? Probably a combination. :D ) she ain't as little as she was at the outpost and I see her love for boats has not changed.

Chuck.

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Retirement+Grand babies. Goes together sort of like Peanut Butter and Jelly.
I highly recommend it.
Someday, I will wet a paddle in that river.
Cheers!
Nock

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Looks like you had a wonderfull trip. How did you tie down your boats to the top of your camper. We have a small pop up camper and was looking into carrying ours on top of our camper as well.

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
savannakelly I put the boats on foam pads and secured with ratcet straps. I hookked the straps to chains that I hooked to the bottom of the camper. The chains were just pieces of dog chain screwed to the bottom frame of the camper. Then I put another to the front. I found that the nose of the boats moved around in the wind if not tyed down.

Ron: It worked great. Easy to paddle easy to control. I even had a wave come over the front. Val thought I was doing a suberine imatation. It did go in pretty deep. The waves were at times 2.5 feet high. We got caught in a storm but the TV came through it like a fine piece of equipment. I did not have the time before the trip to get the hatches cut in so the front did have a tendency to ride higher than I would have liked. It caught a little more wind that way. But it will have hatches and be full of gear next trip. That should give for a little less wind signature. But all in all. Great boat. Val did try to get her butt in it to which I said. ( Babe maybe you should stick to the freedom, it is easier to control) Hey it worked for the time being. I am sure she will get to try it. At which time I may have to look at a new build. If I can get the honey do list down some. I been pouring concrete for the last week. We (Val) decieded that since I have a mixer and lots of time I should be able to hand mix it and save some money.
Later Joe