Modified JEM Crawdad | SouthernPaddler.com

Modified JEM Crawdad

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Modified JEM Crawdad
I built the prototype crawdad and really like the stability and portability of the design. It is my favorite boat out of several I have built. Matt does an excellent job of design and has opened a bunch of new concepts for many of us. Of course, I decided to make some changes to my second crawdad build. The craw dad has lots of freeboard which probably adds to the high maximum load, “secure feeling “and comfort of fishing out of it. We decided to try to cut the wind signature by reducing the height of the sides. Hopefully this will help better match the boat to our fishing conditions. I realize the changes may nullify the safety specifications of Matts design. I hope that’s enough disclaimer.
This build was done by my 17-year-old Grandson, with my guidance and help. He will be heading to the Marines after High School graduation this spring, so a Marine flag waves proudly from the rod holder.
I didn’t document this build as much as previous builds because I think I’ve already shared most of my techniques.
I deleted the pictures

Andy

Last edited:

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Thanks beekeeper. He worked hard and never checked up. I'd like to see it on the water, unfortunately ice everywhere. Blake's family plans to move to Bossier this spring, the boat will work good there. On another note I got a start on tracing a pattern on the fiberglass pirogue.

coast

Jun 10, 2011
Any update on how your modifications worked? Lose any stability?

Last edited:

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Any update on how your modifications worked? Lose any stability?
Stability stayed the same as near as I can tell. I still use a seat 9" high and not at all tippy. Improved the drift from the wind a lot. I've paddled around some pretty big wakes no problem. the only downside (for my use so far) is I feel kinda "naked" sitting up in open space. Think I'll change to a lower seat. I've started a second one!

Good Fish'n
Andy

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
The modified Crawdad is 8" from the floor to the top of the gunnels. My seat I use in the unmodified Crawdad is 9" high. No wonder I feel a little"naked " sitting above the sides. By contrast my water Moccasin has 8" sides and my seat is 3". The tall seat is easier getting up and down for us old folks. Guess I'd better get a shorter seat to keep in Texas.
Good Fish'n
Andy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
From one geezer to another: a rope, say 3/8" diameter, running from the bow to the seat, with judiciously placed knots, can aid in hoisting one's posterior to an upright stance. Lean forward, get feet back close to the CG, and pull the bow back toward you. Be graceful if falling into the water; surface with a smile, while saying, "WHEW! That feels good!"

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
From one geezer to another: a rope, say 3/8" diameter, running from the bow to the seat, with judiciously placed knots, can aid in hoisting one's posterior to an upright stance. Lean forward, get feet back close to the CG, and pull the bow back toward you. Be graceful if falling into the water; surface with a smile, while saying, "WHEW! That feels good!"
Jack, I learned the "pull up" rope trick from you a couple of years ago! I must admit it is one of the best of the many tips from this site. About a year ago it became both a sit down and pull up rope. complete with a snap it lives in my pirogue bag.
Thanks I'm still paddling!

Andy