Monday paddle on the Ogeechee | SouthernPaddler.com

Monday paddle on the Ogeechee

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
As I rode home from having lunch with Mom and Dad I decided I couldn't stand it any longer and had to go paddle. I spent the weekend fixing the rack on my car and riding the canoe around town to see how it checked out but couldn't get around to going to the river. A quick check with Gator Dog and he agreed that we should go, then a call to the outfitter and the plan was set. Put in at the Trestle at I 16 and pull into Morgan's Bridge at sunset, what could be better. My gear was stowed back in the truck and I made sure we had warm clothes and something to eat and drink, on to Ogeechee Outpost!

We got on the water at 2 pm, which this time of year is a little late, but I knew we could be down at the bridge by dark and with the moon already up and getting full, I wasn't worried. The water was really low, the gauge had bottomed out and showed 1.89 for the last week. What really intriqued me was the clarity of the water and for the first few miles I took no notice of anything that wasn't in the water. You could see the turtles swimming along with schools of mullet and the bottom of the river bed at least 6 to 8 feet down in places. That is really unusual for a Blackwater River. Before long I began to notice the bird life as well and spotted quite a variety along the banks. Great Blues and Kingfishers led me down the river as well as a small flock of ducks that I kept disturbing as I paddled along.

IMG_2959_1.jpg

Woodpeckers abounded, pileated as well as the smaller ones called and flew overhead most of the trip. A red shouldered hawk surprised me as he was chased over the river by another hawk or owl and song birds called everywhere as evening approached. Turtles slid off downed trees in the river and there was evidence of beavers where they had chewed the soft wood of the willows that line the banks. The trees were turning colors and while not as outstanding a view as in the north, it was a sight. Most places I paddled in mere inches of water but being careful I never had to exit the boat to drag it.

IMG_2974.jpg

The air was turning chilly and it wasn't long before I had to wrap Westbury's coat around him. It was still warm enough for me to be barefoot and in short sleeves but he had been playing on the water's edge and was wet and cooling quickly. As the sun touched the horizon we spooked a flock of quail and soon after a roosted turkey, who flew over the river just ahead of us. Just about dark we arrived at the bridge and loaded the boat to head home. Another great trip only to be shared by this writing. I hope the next trip I will be able to give some warning and invite other to participate but sometimes I just have to go when the urge hits!

IMG_2960_1.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Envious trip, Franke. Your descriptions of the wildlife are good. Our kingfishers have departed from Michigan.

I wonder how they migrate on those stubby, little wings? We saw some turtles on the Au Sable in May; I saw none in August. Blue jays and crows are the "raucous dependable" birds around here. "Pleasant dependable" ones are Nut hatches, Chick-a-dee's, and Wood peckers.

You didn't say, but I'm betting that the trip cleared your mind a bit.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Needed the trip

Jack:

You're quite right, it really helped ease the tension and relaxed me. These weekday trips by myself really give me time to unwind and without the planning and waiting on others is food for my soul.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Franke.....Your a real bugger! :x You are teasing me just a little too much! I wish I was there on the Ogeechee. The memories of the Ogeechee paddle less than two months ago came all back to me again! What a wonderful report. Thanks.

Lets see....I can have the truck loaded with camping gear and boat tonight...I get off work at noon tomorrow...I can be there at about 10PM tomorrow night and paddle 3 days and come home Sunday......Hmmmmm :roll: Alot of explaining missing T-Day. :(

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Sorry Oldyaker

Just look foward to the day when you can be on the river in a matter of minutes, until then come when you can, we'll have the boat ready and plenty of hot dogs to grill on the bank.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Buck,

Are YOU one of the guys who hosted Yakus Vinicus there? Lord, you have no idea what you started! That guy'll be haunting you now forever.

HINT: He's susceptible to bribery. Even just a picture of a strawberry sundae from Cracker Barrel and he'll charge like lightning. Don't hold the picture in front of you; hold it off to one side, and quickly step away as he approaches.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack said:
Buck,

Are YOU one of the guys who hosted Yakus Vinicus there? Lord, you have no idea what you started! That guy'll be haunting you now forever.

HINT: He's susceptible to bribery. Even just a picture of a strawberry sundae from Cracker Barrel and he'll charge like lightning. Don't hold the picture in front of you; hold it off to one side, and quickly step away as he approaches.

GUILTY AS CHARGED!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
For Jack.....Yep 20 miles out of the way! For Buck.....only 5 or ten....he's a pretty nice guy. :wink: