More "and Such" than Humor | SouthernPaddler.com

More "and Such" than Humor

Red Stick Jim

Jun 7, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I got this in an email today.....thought some of you might relate

1963 vs 2006

For those of us old enough to remember the good ol' days, and for the others that should. Be of good cheer.

Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1963 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.

2006 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1963 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

2006 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1963 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still in class.

2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.

1963 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.

1963 - Mark shares headache medicine with Principal out on the smoking dock.

2006 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations.Car searched for drugs and weapons.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Mary turns up pregnant.

1963 - 5 High School Boys leave town. Mary does her senior year at a special school for expectant mothers.

2006 - Middle School Counselor calls Planned Parenthood, who notifies the ACLU. Mary is driven to the next state over and gets an abortion without her parent's consent or knowledge. Mary given condoms and told to be more careful next time.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1963: Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2006: Pedro's cause is taken up by the State.. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak English.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1963 - Ants die.

2006 - Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher Mary. Mary, hugs him to comfort him.

1963 - In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2006 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
humor and such

RED STICK JIM DON,T KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THIS OR WHO THOUGHT THIS UP BUT THIS IS 100% TRUTH. I,M NOT AN OLD OLD GEEZER YET BUT WORKING ON IT. (44) THINGS HAVE CHANGED HERE IN MY HOME TOWN TOO. I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS COMING UP IN SCHOOL ON FRIDAYS YOU COULD CARRY YOUR CAMPING & HUNTING THINGS (SHOTGUN) INCLUDED & GO HOME ON BUS TO YOUR BUDDIES HOUSE & GO HUNTING THE WEEKEND. YOU HAD TO LEAVE IT DURING THE DAY @ SCHOOL WITH APPROPIATE PERSON BUT THEY DIDN,T CALL IN FBI . NOT LIKE THAT NOW! YEA THEY WANT TO LOCK YOU UP OR TAKE YOUR CHILD AWAY FROM YOU IF YOU DISIPLINE THEM. I GOT MY SHARE OF WHIPPINGS IN SCHOOL & THEY DIDN,T HURT ME LONG TERM , DID RIGHT THEN THOUGH. I HAVE AN 21 YEAR OLD SON & A 15 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. I HAVE WHIPPED THEM A FEW TIMES TOO. IT HASEN,T HURT THEM EITHER. I WOULD RATHER GO TO JAIL BECAUSE I MADE THEM MIND THEN FOR NOT MAKING THEM MIND!! I WOULDN,T HAVE A GUILTY CONQUENCE THEN. IF THE PARENT,S MADE THEIR CHILDREN MIND & STILL WHIPPED THEM WHEN THEY NEEDED IT NOW YOU WOULDN,T HAVE ALL THE SCHOOL SHOOTINGS & KILLINGS. I LOVE TO HUNT & FISH YEA I MAY STRETCH OR BREAK THE GAME LAWS EVERY NOW & THEN. IT,S MIGHTY SAD I WILL GET MORE TIME IN PRISON IF I KILL AN ILEGAL DEER OR SOMETHING THAN IF I KILL A PERSON . I MAY NOT BE A GEEZER YET OR AINT NO ROCKET SIENTIST BUT THEIR IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE JUSTICE SYSTEM!!!!!!! ( CATFISH)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dan, I wondered that too?

Addressing the original premise, there are a couple of concepts at work here. One is called "Kind cruelty". That's where small kid messes with a live electrical cord, and gets swatted. He learns to not play with electrical cords.

The other concept is "Cruel kindness". Same kid plays with an electrical cord, parents "tsk tsk" and talk with him. Next day he bites into the live electrical cord.

If you want to see how to raise a kid, watch animal parents with their little ones. There's always one lion cub who harasses momma. You can see her jaws tightening. Then WHAM! - the little truant goes caroming off a tree and a rock, gets up, and now walks over to mommy with a loving smile on it's bruised little face.

He learned that she loves him enough to train him when the going gets rough.

Katie hasn't needed a spanking in a long time, since she lied to me and ran off when she knew she wasn't supposed to. Now, I can speak to her and she knows that if it goes too far, she'll get a spanking. Now, I don't have to.

It's a kid's job to push the envelope. I wouldn't trust one that didn't. It's a parent's job to establish and hold the limits. I wouldn't respect one that didn't.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Matt,

I first saw segregation in '59 when I went to Alabama. I couldn't believe my eyes. Sad, disgusting, wasteful, small minded.

And, though I'm not from the twenties, the change in schools is just as sad, disgusting, wasteful and small minded as was segregation. Schools are for education; anything - and I do mean anything - that detracts from that process has no place in a school.

Most people do not realize that they mal-define the word and concept of discipline. Most people, when asked for a synonym, will say, "punishment". Wrong. Discipline is self-control. Only we can discipline ourselves.

Punishment is punishment. It may be in retribution or for rehabilitation.

When Machiavelli wrote his advice to the prince, he said two things. "Don't rule with love alone, because the power is then in the hands of the follower. If he stops loving you, you no longer lead. Don't lead with fear alone. The follower will come to hate you and eventually kill you."

For some reason, he never finished the equation. Leaders - teachers, parents, supervisors, etc. - must lead with the full range of techniques to be effective and respected. When we know that our leader values us enough to stand up for us, we can return that affection or positive feeling. When we also know that s/he will get in our knickers if we screw up, we have a bit of fear of screwing up because we don't want the punishment.

The sum total is that we respect someone who values/loves us enough to stand up for us, and has the courage to call us to task for mistakes.