More random Oz piccies. | SouthernPaddler.com

More random Oz piccies.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys, I have just learnt how to create albums on picturetrail. I will update from time to time.

Most of the shots are from my local area with a few from North Queensland. As I learn more, I will work out a way to add comments to explain where, or what they are. :oops:

We get a heck of a lot of foriegn tourists over here, but very few sem to get past Sydney or our bloody Gold Coast. Both places are little better than pig stys in my opinion and they certainly don't represent what this country really is. I guess it would be like me going to New York and then to Califorinia and coming away thinking I had seen America. Both these American places are probably fine tourist destinations but for me, If I want to see lots of high-rise buildings and millions of bloody people, I can stop at any city in the world. The real places are in the country.

As you can probably guess, I am particularly fond of sunrise and sunset. I try to see both every day. One of God's true wonders. I love to just sit in my back yard and watch the sun rise over my Australian bush.

Even better, I love to get into work, on a cold morning, sneak into the blocks just as the sun is coming over the horizon and then, in the dead quiet and still of the time, rouse my workers with repeated calls of -

WAKE UP!!!, WAKE UP!!

:twisted: :twisted:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
As you can probably guess, I am particularly fond of sunrise and sunset. I try to see both every day.
Friend Mick,

Too seldom I have had the good fortune of a sunrise or sunset view. Never had both frum where I lived. If ya kin see both frum yer home, ya'll are indeed lucky folks.

regards
bearridge

We are living in a world today when lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. Alfred E. Neuman

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Just like you folks coming over here and seeing the Rat House (Disney) and Orlando , then going home saying I saw Florida.
All you saw was the rip off part of this area nothing to do with the real area and nothing what it is really like and all of those things a person can enjoy for free or next to nothing. compared the the rat factory.

Like paddling and camping on a river , listing to the wildlife , the Owls at night and with some luck a coyote singing when the moon is full or some frogs crooking or better yet a Bull Gator calling his mate. That will make the chills run up and down your spine.
The buzz of the skitter as she looks for a meal (the males don't bite) , the honking of the sand hill crane the snoring of your camping partner the racket that an armadillo can make in the middle of the night , you would think a tank is going to run over you.

Then you have the smell of the campfire and it's fading light on the side of your hammock or tent as you fall asleep , the moon and stars lighting the sky for you and all of those wonderful night sounds (Minus that stinking armadillo pushing his way around and under your hammock). It is a different world out there when you are away from the tourist traps and into the real Florida. :D

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day bear,

Thanks mate, Yep, we are very lucky where I live. My town, Torbanlea, is a very small place indeed, It boasts about 3oo souls, a hotel and a gas station come post office come general store. It is about 10 miles or 15 minutes from the coast.

My house has never been locked in 7 years and we know everyone (allmost) who lives here.

Chuck, you really sound like a man after my own heart. With the difference in animals taken into account, you have described perfectly, what I like about the bush best.

We have just started our first cold snap (for here) of the year and The fish will be bighting. :D

I am off today with the chainsaw to get firewood. The wood pile has go very low in thelast couple of days. After that, I might head down the river for some bream and flathead. :D

Life is good. :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Got the wood, goin fishin and taking the P5 for a maiden voyage tomorrow, :D

IMG_1688Small.jpg

IMG_1690Small.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Ha Keith, that is my old Julio trailer, :lol: Best trailer I ever owned. I only replaced the suspension once, the chassis twice and the floor and sides three times :D

Chuck I love gtting out in the bush and mesing with my chainsaw.

I think I finally killed it yesterday. Will have to call into the Stihl dealer next week. I can feel a new Farm Boss coming on :twisted:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Damn I work too much and too long.....I just caught this thread and pix.
That is down right beautiful! Every picture a postcard!

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey mick your woods looks nice, the fire wood will be nice setting around. :) Course if you guys winter is 75 in day & 53 @ night you don,t need much firewood. Your winter sure ain,t like Yaks or Jacks.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick,

Your story of the trailer reminds me of the guy who had Abe Lincoln's original axe. When the museum looked at it, they thought the handle looked pretty new, and asked. "Yep, replaced the handle three times and the blade twice. Abe's original axe."

My Dad's business sold and serviced lawn mowers, garden tractors, chain saws, and snow mobiles. I grew up fixing these things. Stihl invented the chain saw. The Swedish make Partner is a helluva good machine too. Cuts faaster than anything else I've seen.

I'm not familiar with a "Farm Boss"; is that a chain saw?

dawallace45

I'm a couple of hundred km north of Mick and here it tends to be a little warmer , cold snap here today , temp on the veranda is 76*F which is cool for here and inside the house it's 73*F but it hasn't been getting any colder than that inside the house overnight , don't have any idea how cold it gets outside of a night , we have a slow combustion fireplace but we aren't going to install it and will be giving it to my brother instead , just not needed in this house , still sleeping just with a cotton blanket on of a night and I don't wear pyjamas

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Thanks for the kind words re the piccies. :D

Jack, A Farm Boss is a model put out by Stihl. We also have a swedish brand - Huskvana (spelling) fine saws but I'll stick with what I know. I have heard of the Partner brand chain saw but never seen one.

Dave, gets a bit cooler than that here. got down to about 45 early this morning but by 0900, I was out on the water doing this. :D

2007_02140109Small.jpg

It turned into a beautiful, classic Queensland winter's day. Blue sky, light wind, temp low 70s and clear water.

Man, I just love my life. :D

Oh yeah, you can just see some of the fish in the and behind me. - red hot session. :D