Mosquieto Coils and Smoking Tents. | SouthernPaddler.com

Mosquieto Coils and Smoking Tents.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I don't know if any of you guys have done this but I found out it works quite well down here in the swamps.

If you are camping in a tent and the swamp angles are bad along with the sand gnats. Here is a way to keep them out of your tent while camping.

Put your tent up , get it secured and before you put your stuff in there get one of the Pic's ( mosquito coils) Put it in a pan or something fireproof , light it and place it in your tent. Close up the tent and let it smoke the tent for about 30 minutes.

Remove it and open all the windows to let the tent ventilate and get the smoke out of it. You do not want to breath it.
The insecticide / repellent will be in the tent fabric which is a big .... NOT WELCOME .... sign to all of the bugs.

Best to do this several hours before you plan on going to bed.... Plus make sure the skitter coil is in something fireproof when you put it in the tent.
I use my frying pan and I make sure the coil is sitting upright before I close the tent up.

I did this down at Long Point Drive when the kids and I were camping there and the bugs about drove us nuts .... we never had a bug inside the tent after that. Even with the kids running in and out of the tent.

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
mosquito coils and smoking tents

SPARKY REMIND THE REST OF THE GEEZERS NOT TO EAT THE BACON YOU COOK! WE,LL USE JACKS FRYING PAN OR WE,LL BRING OUR ON. HAVEN,T TRIED THE COILS . I HAVE & USE THE MOSQUITO THERMOCELL. DON,T KNOW IF YOU GUYS HAVE USED IT . THEY WORK TOO. DON,T KNOW IF ANY OF YOU GUYS HUNT BUT THAT IS WHEN I USE MINE THE MOST. IT WOULD WORK GREAT ON A CAMPING OR FISHING TRIP TOO.

I WOULD ASSUME KEITH & SEEDTICK HAVE SOME SWAMP ANGLES OR SWAMP TURKEYS WHERE THEY ARE FROM TOO. I IMAGINE IF YOU WEREN,T REAL CAFEFUL THEY WOULD DRAG YOU OUT OF ONE OF EM PIRO. (CATFISH) :lol:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hey Chuck,

Thanks mate. That is a great tip. I use mozzie coils here as well but was never smart enough to work out to pre smoke my tent.

Have any of you tried citronella candles? The also work well and smell a whole lot better.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Never have inside a tent , will have to give it a try. I did not have one of the coils with me on the last trip , tried my best to find one down there but that was a lesson in stupidity on my part. A person would think they would have them at a place where folks go to camp and fish.

One of the smaller candles would make a good note writing light at night and get rid of the bugs at the same time.

Chuck.
If I don't make at lease three mistakes a day then I am still in bed.

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Chuck
We have these little candles in the store here that are citronila or what ever they callit. I have taken one with me on guide trips and by the way they are in little 2 inch bucket looking things with a little handle just like a milk bucket. I put them on a sting and hang it in my Hennessy. It will keep the bugs at bay and gives off a good smell. I tried the spray bug dope on the outside of my Hammock thing which works but found I do use the nite light to write in the Journal in the evening. I will see if Val can find them again maybe order some more.
We may need a couple for the next trip.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep , there are the little buckets and then some larger ones with three wicks in them , they are the yard or industrial size.

It might pay you folks to have some in stock for anyone going down river and camping this summer. One good thing is that they would have a long shelf life , in case they did not sell in a rush.

The little ones would be nice in a tent.

Chuck.