My Canada Trip.... What a Trip in more then one way. | SouthernPaddler.com

My Canada Trip.... What a Trip in more then one way.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I arrived at the conclusion that the James Gang is alive and well along with the Dalton's and all the rest of the old time robbers in the West, only today they are running Canada.

Yep ... I am back home where things are sensible, no Loonies, Toonies, weird money and things are measured in Miles not Clicks. A Loony is a $1.00 coin and a Toonie is the $2.00 coin in Canada. All mileage is in clicks and gas is by the liter.

What a deal on the gas only $. 99 per liter, only problem is that 4 liters make one gallon. OK, I will stop ranting and tell about the trip.

Left here on Sunday, Aug 26.07 and made it to the North side of Macon, GA where I got a motel room because of the heat. A Motel 8 for $54.75 (remember the cost for a while) and spent a nice night enjoying the cold air in the room.

Up in the morning (Monday 27.07) and on the road. Arrived in London, KY for the night and again hotter then heck so a motel room at a Super 8 $52.00 and cold air in the room.

On the road and made it to Windsor, Canada which is just over the Ambassador bridge ($7.50 to cross it) in Canada from Detroit. Tired and hot so I see this motel, super 8 , and pull in for the night, I am in Canada so what could be wrong, YEP, Guess again sucker the room was $99.89 for the same one I paid $54.75 for in Georgia.
To top it off while on the bridge every time a semi would pass me the bridge would move up and down, it was a long ways to the water below and I was one happy person to get off that bridge after going up and down on it for over an hour.

Up in the morning and off to the East on Canada 401 to 403 and down to the Bronte Creek Provincial Park to do some Camping. These are main expressways and they have speed bumps (ridges in the roads from the pavement buckling about every 100 feet) So I bumped my way for a couple hundred miles over those roads to the park turnoff. The roads was even worse, there was a drop off of about 8 inches and then holes that would swallow a Greyhound Tour Bus.
After all of this fun I arrive at the campground and check in.

May I get a camping spot for two nights , They had several available and since it is a Provincial park (sort of like our national parks) the cost is $31.25 per night = $62.50 for two nights. What the heck I am here and want to camp, got my camp site and set up, sweat is rolling off me ( I went threw three "T" Shirts that afternoon) and it is hotter then in Florida, This is Canada ????

My camping spot
canada%20002.jpg

During the night a small front moved thru and it did cool down to a livable temperature. The weather did turn nicer and I did enjoy some time at the campsite, watching geese fly overhead, chipmunks playing around the camp, blue jays dropping nuts on the top of the tent camper in the morning to wake me up, all in all it was some nice camping. I meet some nice folks, two French ladies were camping on one side and Irish, Germans and Texas on the other side, what a mixed batch of folks and we all had fun.
These Canadians are fun people and friendly , just good folks.

The camper set up for two nights.
canada%20005.jpg

Friday, Aug 31, 07
Up and packed the camper, off on the road around 9 and on the way to the Inn for the wedding. Drove the back roads and there is a lot of corn and soy beans raised in that area, miles and miles of it.
Arrived at St. Mary's and checked in around 1 , the room was ready but I needed to gas up so off to the only gas station in town, the Ford Dealer and they have two pumps.

The Westover Inn , main area.
canada%20012.jpg

Checked out the town and it is a nice country town and quite picturest and pleasant, back to the Inn and moved in. Turned on the ac unit to cool the room down. Around 3:30 the wife and the rest of the gang arrived so I helped moving the wife's stuff up to the room which was still hot even with the ac running. Checked the ac out and the fan motor had burnt up the barrings in it so no fan to move the air or one BROKEN ac unit. To make a long story short we opened the windows and thankfully the weather had cooled down so the room did get cooled off.

I am only paying $295.00 per night ( The rate for the wedding party) for this room and we could not move to another since the Inn was packed to capacity for the wedding.

Our area , called the terrace , the left windows were our room.
canada%20008.jpg

Sept 1, 07 the wedding went off without a hitch and everyone had a grand time along with some good drinks and great food. "O" by the way the dinner menu at the Inn, if you want scallops and side dishes it is between $48.00 and $52.00 per plate.

I found that in Canada a breakfast will run between $8.00 and $11.00 which we can get down here for about $4.00. Cigarettes are $10.00 per pack, Gas is $4.00 a gallon, Motels are double to triple in price from down here and I never had the nerve to check out the cost of distilled spirits. I can say at the Inn a mixed drink was $9.95 per drink and a Beer (which I had) was $11.50 for two of them.

Camping ... Canada $31.25 per night at a Provincial Park, USA National Park $20.00 or $10.00 with a Gold age pass (Three nights in US or one night in Canada for the same cost ) , State parks $7.50, County parks $5.00 or less.

Gas, Canada .. $4.00 at the least amount, USA..$2.54 to $3.09 per gallon.

I am sure you get the idea and can see why I got up early Sunday the 2nd of September and was back in the states around 10:30 that morning. As far as the roads go it is a toss up between Michigan and Canada for the worse roads but I have to give Michigan the credit for the worse roads.

I did have a lot of fun, meet a lot of really good people and had an experience like never before that is why I said that all the old time outlaws and crooks from the states are running things today in Canada, you feel like you are getting robbed at ever turn. Great folks but lousy prices on things.

Over 3,000 miles and lots of education for me. It was a trip in more then one way. "O" By the way ... NEVER ask for unsweetened tea , I did and had three waitresses and the Manager at the table asking what is it and forget about saying Grits when getting breakfast , all they have is over cooked potatoes called hash browns.

Give me the Good Old South any day.

Chuck.

WestCoastPaddler

The problem is that you went to the "other" Canada, Chuck. The real Canada is hidden away on the west side of the Rocky Mountains. In the real Canada, everything smells like roses and the costs are somewhat lower than the "other" Canada. Not a lot lower, but lower nonetheless. The scenery is also way, way more beautiful in the real Canada.

We do pay a premium to live here but those prices you experienced (with the exception of gas) seem a might bit more than what they are in my neighbourhood here on the west coast.

But thanks for telling everyone that this place is outrageously expensive and while you're at it, tell them that there's nothing but snow here too. Snow for miles and miles (don't use metric measurements -- it's far too confusing for our American friends). Cold snow. Cold, wet snow. Lots of it.

Hopefully, that will keep visitors away -- we have enough people here already. But if they do come to Canada despite your warnings, tell them to bring their wallets -- we like the colour green up here. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
WestCoastPaddler said:
But if they do come to Canada despite your warnings, tell them to bring their wallets -- we like the colour green up here. :lol:

That is no Joke , you folks are in love with the color of green , especially the ones from a persons wallet.

I did notice that the states offer something for free for the East side of Canada ... SMOG and lots of it. I could not believe it , all day driving and it never cleared up till the front started to move threw the area and push it back to the states.

When it was gone the air was nice and fresh smelling , I guess all the farms help to keep the air fresh and nice , the back roads are a lot more fun to travel and the scenery is sure nicer.

Something else is the speed limit you have 100 clicks or 60 MPH as the top posted speed on the interstates. I followed the limit posted and boy did the locals like to fly by me. They see the area all the time , this was a 1st for me so I wanted to enjoy it. :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
I am like you a Texan doesn't belong in Canada . I love Alaska but don't want to drive back thru Can to get there. Those folks starve a Texan to death I made the mistake of ordering bar b Que chicken up there ohhhhhhh was bad . I found one little town called hope that was pretty nice. Neat wood carvings some of the best I have ever seen.
I made a lot of folks mad when I was there changed my money before I went in and payed in there monies they had a problem converting the greenbacks seems like they were about thirty percent of most of the time
of course was in there favor.
I probably want go back there is so much country in the west where bear is . as beautiful as any in the world
Ron

JEM

I've been to Toronto. Nice city. Never have gotten a chance to go their back country.

Spent many hours in the woods of northern MN in an area just a stones throw away from the border. Gonna get up there one day for some prime canoeing. Probably when my kids get a bit older.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister High Sheriff,

Glad ya made it back safe. We are still on the road, but headed back east. I reckon the honeymooners are sailin' the high seas?

regards
bearridge

Katie Couric:  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?
Marine sniper: Recoil.

ObionRiverRat

Aug 9, 2007
Obion TN
Sounds like you needed to find a river to paddle down and see the sights. They would have prob charged you for every gallon of water you paddle over.

Glad u had a good time. Aint it good to get home after one of those trips

.....thinkin bout buildin a canoe??

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Chuck, did you remember to get the refund on taxes when you crossed back into the US? Much of the use tax, and some others, is refunded.

I had enough of a problem of realizing that when the weather men said it was going to be 32 it was not the freezing 32 that I know and 28 is not below freezing it is actually 82 degrees.

Nope , sure didn't , had no idea you could do that.
I was just to happy to get back where things are normal , some nasty people , unlike all the good folks in Canada but I will take the nasty folks as long as they are with , miles , gallons , inches , feet , yards , pounds , ounces and Fahrenheit. :D

The 1st ones I meet coming back were in the little outhouses sitting on the border and the folks were in uniform , what a bunch of grumps. They must feed them lemons while they work there since they sure are some soured people. The idiot asked me if I had anything to declare and I said yes , I declare that I am happy to be back in the States..... Then the 20 questions started.

My guess is he did not speak southern or eat grits ( had to be a Yankee) but we worked it out after he checked my license plate and passport.

Chuck

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
Canadian tax refund

Chuck:

You can get a tax refund(7% GST tax) on all your purchases and acomadations. Your goods have to be more than $50 and hotels, more than $200. Go to www.canadiantaxrefund.com for more info than I can give you. I am not up to date on all the rules and regs. You should be eligible for several hundred dollars refund on your rooms and goods.
Toronto is a great city to visit. My wife and I go up there three or four times a year for the theater. We live about three hours from Toronto.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: Canadian tax refund

JAYCEESFOLLY said:
Chuck:

You can get a tax refund(7% GST tax) on all your purchases and acomadations. Your goods have to be more than $50 and hotels, more than $200. Go to www.canadiantaxrefund.com for more info than I can give you. I am not up to date on all the rules and regs. You should be eligible for several hundred dollars refund on your rooms and goods.
Toronto is a great city to visit. My wife and I go up there three or four times a year for the theater. We live about three hours from Toronto.

I will give it a try , the room at the Inn was $295.00 a night just to have a place to sleep , the total bill came to over $700.00 not counting all the rest the wife spent and my camping fees and that one motel for the night when I got into Canada.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Chuck I,m glad the ac was broke, if it had been working you would have had to taken out a loan. :wink: :lol: Sounds like you had a good time anyway.

WestCoastPaddler

Re: Canadian tax refund

oldsparkey said:
...the room at the Inn was $295.00 a night just to have a place to sleep...
Holy cow, Chuck. That must have been a nice room. You know, in all seriouness, that does sound a bit steep -- but I've stayed in places in the US that cost that much too -- and I can't say that I was overly impressed.

You can easily spend $300-500 a night in a swanky hotel in Vancouver, but you can also find some really nice hotels for less than $150 a little bit away from more popular areas. I suspect that same would be true where you were as well. But 32 bucks for a nights camping in a provincial park seems a bit rough -- I don't think there are any provincial campsites in my neck of the woods that charge anywhere near that much. And $9.95 for a drink?!? That's crazy. Sounds like you were at some overly high priced resort or something like that.

I don't think it's so much a Canadian thing to be charging exorborant amounts for lodging and other services -- it's expensive everywhere. But... if you stay off the beaten track you can get much better deals -- on both sides of the border.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Another question, now that JayCee'sFolly has helped here. Why the tarp over the roof of a new camper?

The top is white and water resistant and that is there idea of a rain fly , one hurricane tarp.
It can be flipped over to make a awning since it is zipper attached to the one side. All that you need are three poles to fit in the grommets and some line as tie downs to make it a awning. It does double duty.

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Welcome back CHUCK! We all missed you even if some of these geezers wont say so they did. They held down thr fort pretty well. You are very proud I'm sure :shock: Sounds like the trip was a bit of culture and wallet shock. I hope the wedding was worth all the expense. Glad your home, Like Dorothy says there's no place like it! :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Someone up there woke up as far as what I paid for the room.

About 7 months ago I paid a decent deposit for the room for two nights to save it for the wife and I.

This is why when I checked out and the gal behind the desk handed me the bill and I asked about the $295.00 per night for the room , it had me floored. :evil:

I asked her about it and just got a blank stare from her , then I asked about the lack of services (No AC in the room ) as advertised. It was like talking to a Zombie or someone with sawdust for brains. Basically a lesson in futility and wasted breath on my part. So I just shut up and signed the slip for the room. All that said was ... that I was authorizing the amount at that time.

Being in a foreign country I did not want to raise a stink at that time , I would hold off till I got home and then really become a pain in the arse for them.

It seams that Lisa at the Inn has her stuff together because I got this letter from her explaing that they overcharged me $380.85 for my stay.

With my deposit to save the room the room was only $175.00 per night not the $295.00 and she has credited my charge card the $380.95 difference.

That stops all my fun , I was going to contest there rates and overcharging , that is why I put it on the charge card and did not use cash. If you know you have been had with the bill on a credit card then you have the right to contest it and make the person prove it is the right amount.

Will I ever be back there or to Canada , just as soon as Michigan and Canada has good roads which I really think will never happen in my life time. Or Hell freezes over , your choice.

It will take an act of God and Congress to ever get me north of the Mason Dixon line again. They can have it. I could go back every month if I wanted to , The key phrase here folks is wanting to. :evil:

I will do the smart thing , put the wife on a plane when ever she wants to go and have her go up there while Pup's and I enjoy life down here. Look out Mary ... Ya Mom might be visiting you a lot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chuck, and welcome back :D

Sorry about the late reply mate but I have been away on a little trip too. :D

Mate, just to put some perspective on things, the prices you quote (except the very large one that you got some money back on) are about comparable to those here.

A pack of Cigarettes is about AUD$15.00, Average motel room - (nothing flash) starts around AUD$70.00. The one Robin and I stayed in a couple of nights ago cost AUD$160.00, and petrol here at the moment is $1.19 per litre (come back a bit from $1.29) a few weeks ago.

By comparison, many US prices seem dirt cheap and I just don,t understand how this can be. Enjoy it while it lasts mate. :D