My Canada Trip.... What a Trip in more then one way. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

My Canada Trip.... What a Trip in more then one way.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick...

It is always my pleasure to know someone with a lot of money , It helps my ego. :lol:

Guess I was just to use to the $39.95 motel rooms ( Motel 6 , single room ) or the $5.00 for a camping spot at a county campground. $10.00 at the most for a National camping site and $20.00 if it was necessary at a KOA.

The cost of gas , well it it is either pay it or push the jeep and camper down the road , not a good thing. Now at $ 2.54 a gallon ( 4 liters ) up today to $2.74 it is not that bad but I expect it to go up even more as soon as it cools down and a lot of folks are on the road taking vacations.

There are some more trips I want to do in the next couple of weeks but they are all down here in the south and more or less short ones , one day or two day's at the max to get there. This way I can still be around the Chomp an Choke places that have grits for breakfast and some good BBQ ( Ya know home style cooking) if wanted for supper.

Chuck.
PS. If I ever say I am driving over to your place , remind me Not To. :lol: :lol: :lol:
$15.00 for a pack of smokes , I will not even go there , you would not believe it. OK... The little cigars I use to like , right now are 40 for $2.50 and they are pure tobacco , no fillers. Usually they are that price for only 20.
A good reason to kick the habit , to costly without the special , get one and have one pack for free.. :lol:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
It is always my pleasure to know someone with a lot of money ,

That wouldn't be us mate. We are just a working class couple, used to paying the exhorbitants rates.

Check this one out, - in particular, the tree house - mid week prices. :oops: We go there for a couple of nights a year and don't mind (too much) the price. Round here, this is a pretty special place and they charge accordingly. It is our little treat to ouselves.

http://www.secretsonthelake.com.au/rates/index.html

No point in being the richest man in the cemetary.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick...

The way I see it is ya work for it so why not enjoy it when you can , later will be to late. Last thing I would hate to say is ... "I wish I would of done this or that".

Only thing they will say about me when the time comes is ... The old Fart spent it as he got it and had a lot of good times.
Then the full amount of my retirement checks will go to the wife and she loves spending a part of them now days. :lol: When that happens she will have all of them for fun and games providing she out lives me.

You can't take it with you and it ain't worth a hoot if you don't use it ..........BUT , It does not mean you can't fuss about it when you think an injustice has been done. Like having to travel over those roads in Michigan , that I would not wish on my best enemy. Even folks down here that use to live up there say they are the worse ones in the states.

Might be one reason they are down here now days , besides as one person has here on the forum ... Never have seen anyone retiring down here and moving back up there.:lol:

Chuck.

Jul 6, 2007
Niagara Peninsula
Chuck, should have done your homework before coming to Canada, you should have crossed the river at Port Huron over into Sarnia and avoided Detroit/Windsor area.From there you could have camped somewhere along Lake Huron, there are very nice camps there. (Bronte ? I drive by there and go to the Georgian bay area) Traffic in the Toronto area is the busiest in North America. People go from there to camp not to there.
Gas prices here have always been higher than US prices due to the higher taxes ( today 93 cents eq. $2.93 US per US Gallon) but then again someone has to pay for our free health care.
I am glad you found the people friendly.
Martin

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I just sent this letter to the Westover Inn at St. Marys , Canada.........

Letter to the Westover Inn , St. Mary's , Canada.

1st off I would like to thank you for the letter you sent me about the refund on the over charge for my visit with you at your Inn.
The $730.88 was a slight over charge caused by the person working the front desk when I checked out.
Only $350.03 over the correct amount.

When I checked out I asked the person (Her) at the front desk about it and was only greeted with a blank stare , then I asked her about the fact there was not any air conditioning in the room since the AC Unit had burnt the bearings in it and the fan did not work for both of the nights I and the wife were there for my daughters wedding. I am sure that damage was done before I got there since the AC unit did not work when I turned it on. Again greeted with a smile and a blank stare with the attitude of .... So What.

I decided not to say anything since I was in a foreign country and did not know the laws of that nation. I decided at that time I would just continue on as normal with the person at the front desk who could care less , a lot less. Then when the bill came in on my charge card , contest it , which I have the right to do here in the land of the free and I have all sorts of witnesses , including most of your staff and the wedding party.

All of the places for folks to spend the night down here in the states would either give a discount or find another room for them. If that was not possible then they would find lodging for them at a different place to provide the services as promised in the contract. Since the original provider was not able to provide services as advertised.

Later when I arrived home , I found out Lisa located the mistake and that is why you sent me the letter correcting it , which I am grateful for and still have as part of the record. It shows that someone with you is on the ball and knows what they are doing.

I figured it was just a simple mistake anyone could make ....We all make mistakes. Then on further investigation I found that one other party at the wedding was doubled charged , like I was. Mistakes do not happen that often and especially on the same day.

I have no idea what the further investigation will provide but I am sure looking forward to finding out since I am a retired from the Sheriff's Department and enjoy digging into the truth.

By the way I have a web site and most of the folks on it are retired and like to travel , guess what ???? All of this has been posted on there so about 8 million folks ( And lots more) will see it.

C.B. "Chuck" Littleton.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chucky,

We got resorts and hotels etc with staff just like that too. I think it is a sad truth that lazy staff like the one you dealt with are everywhere.

I am certain that when management read your letter, that one of two things will happen.

1. A serious dose of attitude adjustment will be meted out to the person concened. ( and a very sincere letter of apology sent)

or

2. They will assume that you are just another whining tourist and do nothing.

Either way, the whole affair has cost them dearly. I look forward to seeing if they reply to your letter.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
hairymick said:
... 1. A serious dose of attitude adjustment will be meted out to the person concerned. ( and a very sincere letter of apology sent)...
Mick, you just hit on the key concept here - and in Life. ATTITUDE.

Whether we think we can, or think we can't - we're right.

We always have time and money to do what we want, and never have enough to do what we don't want. It isn't time - it's priority. And, priorities come straight from our attitudes.

As W.C. Fields said, "Everybody's got to believe in something. And, I believe I;ll have another drink."