My Chaland | SouthernPaddler.com

My Chaland

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Bee..

Whats with all of the other pictures included with the picture of the boat you are showing.

NO idea? I only see the four from this post, and I have to "click" on each one to see them. Do you want me to delet the pictures of the boat and see if the others go away?

bee

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Bee......

The pictures are OK.
I was curious to why you were using that site and if you knew they were posting those other pictures.

Free site that was mentioned by another member after the Photobucket betrayal. The pictures do not show on my computer when I link to them.. I will search for another way to post my pictures.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Free site that was mentioned by another member after the Photobucket betrayal. The pictures do not show on my computer when I link to them.. I will search for another way to post my pictures.
Bee,
I used postimage last time I posted pictures, no ladies looking for men then. . my pics came straight up in the post, no clicking a link. I may try it and see what happens However last week I uploaded some photos and notice one of these "advertisements" popped up.
Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
G'day, JD. Nice looking boat. Did you bob off the ends for a length/space restriction? Is the boat for sliding into fishy corners of a bayou? Tell us more about it?

Nothing has been bobbed off.:confused: Some boats like canoes and pirogues have had points added to their ends, but a chaland don't need all them fancy lines.:rolleyes::)
I actually don't know if it can be certified as an authentic chaland, but boat types and describtions are subjective.
https://books.google.com/books?id=_...D3QQ6AEIXTAL#v=onepage&q=chaland boat&f=false
It is my effort to improve on the little punt I built. That little boat can work in certin cituations but not too well for my usage.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
New to me also. At the Bayou Teche Boat Show a local attendee said my punt looked like a boat used for crossing the bayou and back again. Researching for more information about boats used for that purpose is when I found the name. Chaland boats have several descriptions, usually determined by their location and/or primary usage.
I don't expect it to replace my 14' pirogue but I hope the changes have improved it over the punt.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
IMG_4342.JPG
IMG_4342.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4347.JPG
IMG_4348.JPG
IMG_4358.JPG

Last edited:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
It floats. Adjusted the sitting position forward and it paddled well. More pictures latter, after I resize them.
100_0360.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
JD - is that handsome, young paddler you??!! Iknew you were young and good looking, but this is a biggie.
Riding that horse is a "biggie" even for you. :rolleyes:

Seat moved forward. Tracked better and had less turbulence at the stern.:)

100_0364.JPG

100_0369.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: admin

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Canoes are almost always best when trimmed to just a little nose high. If heading into a stiff wind, paddling solo, they do better if trimmed just a bit nose low. Kayaks do best trimmed flat. I have little to no experience in pirogues. They look like they want to be trimmed just barely nose high?

Having less turbulence aft of the boat is good. Less drag. It's important to both separate and put the water back together smoothly. Pointy stems, particularly at and below the water line, do that well.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
My pirogues tend to paddle best with the nose up. Maybe only a couple inches of the bottom at the bow out of the water. If a head wind kicks up lowering the bow seems to help.
The little punt I made previous to this boat had issues at both ends. Pushing too much water at the bow and dragging too much at the stern.
Pointed stems do separate and put the water back together well, but that is only one requirement of a boat's design. Pointed boats are popular because "ease of paddling" is a priority for most folks. A chaland was only paddled across the bayou and back. Capacity, stability, and ease of building were more important. Variations occurred depending on the builder, materials, and/or particular intended usage. Mine is a variation.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I have made several trips in this boat and am impressed. As I have said it will not replace my pirogue, but it is a good boat. The main objective was to improve on the little punt design. It does that very well. Raising the stern and the bow above the water line makes it paddle much easier. Adding the skeg tamed the tracking issues. Top speed tops out pretty soon, but adequate for even a long day of fishing.
Stability seems better than a pirogue of equal length. I built a new seat for this boat that is a couple inches higher than my others. Very comfortable and easier to get out of. After adapting to seating more forward than I'm used to and finding suitable places for my gear I am comfortable using it.
Works well enough to catch a few of these, so I'm happy.0725180912-00.jpg