My cold weather labours

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
dirty truck

Oops, sorry Jack, got carried away with the woodbutcherin and forgot to clean things up. Incidently that 12' Laker was specificaly made to fit all the way into that truck,to ensure security (as much as one can) for road trips.

MM

Ps, I remember in an older post your berating me for a shop that was to clean, where's the happy medium ? :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
(hanging head in mock shame here, grinning) No sweat, M&M, I rubbed off the dirt for you. (and put it into your clean shop)

I'm curious how you will rig those outriggers onto the main hull, and where you'll paddle/sail that craft? Will take some open waters.

olecajun

Feb 13, 2011
houma, la.
Very nice work. Us south La. boys won't have anything on you. Really nice shape on prigoue on the white table. What style is it called and where did you get the plans if any? Never seen a strip hull before. How are the individual strips attached to each other?
Is Brent Tx anywhere close to Midland? My son just got transferred there.

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
"I'm curious how you will rig those outriggers onto the main hull, and where you'll paddle/sail that craft? "
Jack Havn't got that far along yet, will document when I do. I will test sail on Inks Lake eventually, it's convienent (back yard)
I have the Hobie Adventure Island and have many hours of sailing, including open ocean trolling.[img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54/makenmend/Cayman pictures/IMGP2461_edited.jpg[/img]
So I hope to do same using different hulls, ie Toto and/or TV 29-15.

Oh by the way thanks for cleaning my truck but you could have used a chammy to remove the water marks to finish up !

MM

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
olecajun, That design is the Toto by Jim Michalak, alway liked the look of this hull, do not expect high performance though, short waterline and pretty wide. The strips were all edge glued flat on the bench [[img]http://i469.photobucket.com/a...end/The Toto build/IMGP3274_resize.jpg[/img]]

Midland is quite a way from me in west Tx.

MM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
makenmend said:
<SNIP> Then assembled stitch and glue mode, [url
IMGP3274_resize.jpg
][/url]
It never ceases to amaze my, how a pile of sticks or a pile of plywood can be transformed into such beautiful shapes, be so pretty, and provide so much fun for us.

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
OK Laker 12 christened, slimed and muddy.
Attachment

with wooden seat in, was very tippy, much happier with butt on the floor spent all day on
colorado saturday covering several miles, conclusions :- moves along real well for a short boat ( gotta get handheld GPS) tracks well and even glides well, BUT with my 190 + lbs dosn't leave much freeboard.

Great boat for more daintier people than me

MM

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
That was a Ladyfriend in that pic since then my daughter (140 lb) has used it and tryed to stake a claim, so to avoid a cat fight I decided (for now) to keep it, I'm still amazed at its speed and ease of maintaining it :!:

Anyhoo moving on fished (all but varnish) the TV 29-15 at last that zebra wood in the deck and bulkhead lined up great to :!:

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
decks,bulkheads, gunnels all done,time for fill coats,Test fit for watertite hatchs

Be interesting to see what/if any performance difference between the strip built at 35.4 lb versus Luann built at 54.5 lb, I know it when it comes time to move them around :!:

MM