My cypress skiff | SouthernPaddler.com

My cypress skiff

Boudreaux

Jan 14, 2012
Jeanerette, Louisiana
Started building a small cypress skiff out of some old cypress that came out of an old house we tore down. This wood was on the ceiling of the house, it was about 1/2" thick tongue and grooved with a bead on one edge. These boards sat in an old barn for several years so they were pretty dusty so I pressure washed them which got most of the paint off. After they dried I removed all the old nails and tacks that held on cheese cloth/wall paper. I ripped the tongue and groove edges off and passed through the planer once on each side to clean them up. Boards came out 7/16" thick and 2 1/2" wide. I cut a ship lap joint on each edge and glued together panels with thickened West Systems epoxy.

This is the link to pictures I took so far,
Pictures are not in any kind of order.

http://s1073.photobucket.com/albums/w39 ... nboudreaux

I will post more as I go.

Buddy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ya dunn gudd, Buddy. I like to see someone take experienced lumber and re-use it. Maybe, while you're fishing on a quiet bayou one day, voices from the old house will seep out and entertain you. A song or two, or maybe a conversation, a family at supper in a summer evening. :) It's a thought.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Great looking boat. Love the wood and the clean lines. :)
How long, wide,and etc.? Are you going to power it? What are you going to do with it, when it's finished?
Would love to see the boat. Hope you can make the Rendezvous.

beekeeper

Boudreaux

Jan 14, 2012
Jeanerette, Louisiana
It's 14' long, 32" wide at widest point on bottom, haven't measured beam, 14" high sides. I have a 1952 5hp Johnson outboard I plan to run on this boat, just put put around.
What and where is this Rendezvous you mention?

jfreemanTMN

Dec 9, 2017
The Alamo City
The Skiff is sure a sharp looking boat and will be an head turner when it is completed. You might want to send a picture of it to Uncle John so he can post it on his web site in the Bayou Skiff section.

The rendezvous information is here...
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9038

oldsparkey; Boudreaux,

Unfortunately, the link goes to an ERROR message. Downright HANDSOME cypress skiff, too.

I wonder how much it would have to be "up-sized" to be safe with the 1955 Johnson 10HP OB that I already have??

yours, jim

jfreemanTMN

Dec 9, 2017
The Alamo City
oldsparkey,

I'm sure you're 100% correct. = I'm just wondering how much it would have to be enlarged.
(There's no shortage of water out there for a longer /slim craft.)

There is 23 pounds difference in weight between a 1952 5HP & a 1955 10HP Johnson.
(I knew it wasn't a great deal, as I've hand-carried both OBs.)

Btw, be GLAD that you glassed that skiff. = I once owned a 16x5 foot all cypress skiff that 2 people could launch in the Spring & you needed a team of horses to recover in the Fall. = Cypress soaks up water like a sponge.

yours, jim

Last edited:

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
pass by a place that sells boats and see what the recommended horsepower is for your size boat, or conversely, see what size boat will handle the size motor you are contemplating. Be sure to take into account the weight of the older motor vs. the newer ones.