My DIY stoves. | SouthernPaddler.com

My DIY stoves.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Just started looking at camp stoves, from a DIY point of view. Mostly from reading through post on this Forum, I found the Zen Stove web site, and it has tons of info on DIY camp stoves, tending towards the very light weight. If you haven't found that one, it is here: http://www.zenstoves.net

My first attempt, (rather crude,) was of a wood burning stove, OK, more of a "twig burning stove," but for a solo camper on the go, it will do:

wb01.jpg

Lets you build and maintain a small fire, off the ground, shielded (mostly) from the wind, and you can put a small pot or pan directly on top. Made from sheet metal, it comes apart very easily and stores flat. Once you get a good look at it, you should be able to make it larger, change the shape, whatever you like.

Another from that same web site, or at least, I followed a link ON that site, to the designer's (of another stove) web page. This is Mark Jurey's web site for his "Penny Stove." What I've found to be rather odd about this one, is that there are a lot of people posting on YouTube about this stove, either comparing theirs to the Penny stove, or demonstrating what they think is wrong with the design.

Most of them really didn't seem to understand the original design, or they modified it, and then complained about it not working quite right. If that many people are that jealous of it, it's got to be good!

I didn't create a "work of art" with this one, but I must have understood the principle behind it, because it performs beautifully! :D I will make another one and pay quite a bit more attention to detail, and make every effort to make the next one "purty." Also, I will make the simmer ring attachment, as it can double the burn time.

Here is my first effort at this one:

ps01.jpg

I hadn't made a wind screen yet and I did need one. So, I used parts of the wood burner. It worked out. Too bad the flame is invisible in the daylight! That IS something you have to be careful about.

ps03.jpg

The small lid with the handle in front of the burner is just something I slapped together to put the burner out. Otherwise, you just have to let it burn until all the fuel has been consumed.

Oh yes, I did "simulate" a real cooking job. Don't have any "camp cookware" at the moment, and I wasn't about to drag any of my AllClad cookware outside, so I put 2 cups of water in a thin metal prep bowl, and after a timed 4 (four) minutes, it looked like this:

ps02.jpg

Not only boiling water, but a rolling boil, at that! :D When I do remake this one, I'll use a smaller drill bit to make the jets, and remember to make the simmer ring as well. With a simmer ring in place, this one should burn long enough to make rice. (Real rice, not that minute-stuff!)

There was also a "Penny" version of a wood-gas stove, and the way it was explained, it was a good companion to the alcohol stove. When you weren't burning wood in the stove, it acted as a pot stand and wind shield for the alcohol burner. A cooking "system," that would work rain or shine, with or without wood.

It ain't boat building, but it sure was fun! And it's cheap enough, I'm going to play this game some more! :lol:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Nice jobs! A windshield can be aluminum foil (heavy duty works a bit better) folded over a couple or three times. Fold a 1/2" - 1" lip out on the bottom so you can weigh down with stones or dirt to keep wind from blowing it away. Folds flat for carrying.

I made a windshield (high tech type) from elcheapo plywood. Three pieces, about 10"-12" high, one end is 4", other end is 5". Lay them side by side, narrow ends up, edges about 1/4" apart. Duct tape them together. This lets it lean in a bit and be more stable when stood up. I had to drill a series of 1/8" holes in the bottom area for additional cooling air to get into the fuel tank of my stove.

Lays out flat in front of your tent as a door step, as a seat on wet ground, etc. Fold outside panels in opposite directions and it packs flat. (PAT PENDING)

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
A triptych windscreen? Interesting thought, floor mat, door mat, could even reproduce some famous artwork on it. . . :D

I see where this can be another addictive hobby. More like I say, I don't have hobbies, exactly. . . More like "serial obsessions."

I'm not out to go "light-weight" to the extreme, just out to make whatever I can, so long as it is practical and functional. I do have to say I really like the gas jets produced by the Penny Stove. Kind of reminds me of what I cook on at home:

capital.jpg

Well, kind of. :D

I do have ideas about modifying the wood burner. Not so much the size or shape, but some kind of ridge running across the bottom pan, to elevate the twigs I push in from the front. When building a fire on the ground, I tend to build a "back log" fire. One larger log across the pit area, with smaller pieces laying perpendicular to it, one end resting on the back log, and tender/kindling underneath. When I put another log (twig!) in, I'd like the far end of it to rest up on something, leaving a space underneath it. This change will be easy.

As for the Penny, I'm going to make another using much smaller jets, and this time with a simmer ring, and adjustable version like the one on the Italian web site. (Link on Zenstoves site to Mark Jurey's site, to the Italian web site.)

Gotta' Run! Just heard the dinner bell!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

stickbow

Feb 25, 2009
Americus, GA
Nice job - have been playing with various twig burners for a couple or three years now, with little alcohol stoves for 6 or 7. I like twig burners for river trips, but keep an alcohol stove in my bug out bag - nice after a cold morning hunting to heat up a quick cup of instant whatever.

As for pots: cCheapest and from the ultralight backpackers, lightest pots are IMUSA brand 'grease pots' you can find at various places. KMart has them sometimes. Because they are thin aluminum, they transfer the heat really quickly. For less than 6 or 7 bucks, not too bad (compared with $60 or 70 for titanium that weighs more).

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I'll keep my current little twig stove, it does fold down quite flat and takes little room. I am still working on a small wood gas, well, kind of a wood gas burning stove, but without the fan. Did a real small one, saw some "evidence" that gasifacation had taken place and was burning. But this one had too short of a burn time and was actually too small to be useful, at least to my way of thinking. Next version will be based on a quart paint can, might try a larger one after that.

But for now, I'm impressed with what was originally the "tuna can" stove, and the current version is the "cat" or "cat can stove." This is the one made with a 3 oz can and a 5 oz can. I'm working on a variation of that one called the "Turbo Cat II Stove." (Seriously, Google it, the instuctions web page will come right to the top of the list!) I really liked the original and hope the new and improved version works out. Like the commercially produced Trangia, this one can bring water to a boil quickly, then simmer for an extended period of time, no problem at all. Actually, I think it will produce hot water for coffee or tea faster than the Trangia.

I did find one of the fabled "grease pots" at WalMart. This version is by Main Stays and has a handle riveted to the side. I'll might replace it with one that has the bail handle, instead. As it is, the new stove and it's combo wind screen/pot stand will fit inside the pot, lots of room left in there for fuel bottle, whatever.

I'll post a pic of this set-up when I do a test burn with the stand and screen.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Out camping I normally take my time about doing things and cooking a meal is one of them. That's one reason I like the Trianga , it does not hurry you and it can simmer if you want it to.
Most of the time I get it going and drop on the simmering ring , then put the pot over the flame. Sure it takes longer but I have a lot of time when camping and by using the simmering ring I found the meal still gets as hot as without it :roll: and it saves fuel in the process.
Just have another cut of tea , coffee or in the evening and adult beverage and chill out while getting a meal ready , that is the reason for being there. To relax and get away from the daily hurry up and get things done. :D

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
KYJ,

Thanks for the link. Funny thing is, the company that wants to sell this item posted video clips on YouTube, and they were so poorly done, you really never get a good look at the item they're selling. BUT, someone else did a video review and posted it on YouTube, and that is the one the company should link to. Check out this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sesECu07Pxs&feature=related

For me, where I live, if I'm not making a "proper" camp fire on the ground, I'd rather use a stove that has a bottom, keeping the fire from direct contact with the ground. And that would be easy enough to add to the littlbug stoves. I am one of those who would rather "leave no trace." (That littlbug is a nice piece of engineering though.)

Chuck,

You hit on an interesting point, that is, too many are too concerned with how fast water can be brought to a boil. Since most of what I'm studying was originally written for those interested in very light-weight backpacking, the one comment I've come across several times is,"If you are in such a hurry, why are you walking?" :D

You are quite right! What's the rush? I'm more interested in "easy," myself. It's nice that I can produce a cup of tea or coffee fairly quickly, but as for the rest, most of my camp cooking has been largely "heating up" something already made. Kind of "heat it up and eat it up." If I can make my hot drink and heat up dinner without a "reload," I'm happy. The stove I just finished will do just that.

I don't really expect that out of the little wood burner, but then again, the tending and feeding of a wood fire is often an end in itself. Very relaxing way to spend time.

Any way, here is my current effort, the Turbo Cat II:

tcii01.jpg

No, really! That's my Wally World version of the "grease pot," after I found the BBQ Grill Black spray paint. The entire stove is packed away inside:

tcii02.jpg

OK, the plastic bottle IS just a prop. :oops: It is a stand-in for a fuel bottle, and as you can see, there is room for several of those in the pot, as well as other items. Heck, I could add another stove like my Penny Stove as a back-up. Here's the contents, all laid out.

tcii03.jpg

The combination wind screen/pot stand is on the left, surrounding the "fuel bottle" and the rods the pot sit on. The burner itself is at the 3 o'clock position and almost out of the picture at the bottom is the simmer cap, which really doesn't work very well. I'm working on a (working replacement.)

tcii04.jpg

In the above picture, the wind screen is set up with the burner in place, and the pins that make up the pot rest have been installed. Once the fuel has been poured in, just light it and set the pot in place, like this:

tcii05.jpg

If you need to cut back on the heat output and extend the burn time, this burner gives you some options:

tcii08.jpg

On the left, you should be able to see the air intake holes fully open. On the right, the intakes have been closed off, and a simmer cap has been put in place. I've found that by just closing the intakes, the burn time of a given amount of alcohol is almost doubled. Add to that, a simmer cap and you should get another increase in burn time. So far, the simmer cap hasn't really worked out for me.

It does what it is supposed to as long as the air intakes are left open, or at least, partially open, other wise, it acts more like a snuff cap. I need to make one with a bit larger opening.

My last burn test gave me 17 min. on an ounce of fuel. I know the stove will hold about 2 1/2 oz, so I could probably live without a functional simmer cap and just just the air intake adjustments. But, I also know I won't be able to let it go at that! :D

Oh Yes! This IS fun! :mrgreen:

Well, Friday will be my first night back at work in about 3 months. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Just a little update on the simmer cap thing. . .

I'm DONE with it! :D

The last version of a simmer ring gave a 42 minute burn time with just one ounce of alcohol. This gave a very low heat output, but gave it consistently for a full 42 minutes. I had a pot on the support with about a cup of water, perhaps just a bit more, and it came up to a temp just at a boil, but it never broke into a "rolling boil." Lots of steam when I lifted the lid, air bubbles clinging to the sides of the pot, and a small area about where the flame was on the bottom, where there was actually a small boil taking place. Just enough that you could hear it, but not enough involve the entire pot. A "mini-boil" I guess you could call it.

And this is with the new simmer cap in place and the air intake ring in the "closed" position. This means the temp could be further varied by opening the air inlets a little, half-way, or all the way. More variation can be had by removing the simmer cap and then varying the opening of the air intake.

I'd consider this one, "Throttled!" :lol:

What I did was to use the original pop-top lid from the 5oz can. I left the tab attached, but rotated it out so it could be used as a handle. Then I cut a hole in the center, one inch in diameter (approx.) This sits on top of the burner, covering the 1 3/4 inch opening.

Guess I'll have to find something else to mess with. (Like the top-loaded, down-draft wood gas stove. . . )

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Fla Mike.......
I am sure after your operation the Docs have you getting med's from some pharmacy , next time you are there ask them for one or two of the 6 oz bottles for cough syrup or any liquid that they have.

My pharmacist gave me two of them and they are really nice for carrying the alcohol that is needed for the little stove. The bottles are light weight , hold the 6 oz or what ever amount you wanted to get them in and best of all , measured so you know how much alcohol you are using. The are leak proof.
The two 6 oz bottles fit inside my complete cook kit and single pot really nice.

I found out some pharmacists charge for the empty bottles , the normal amount is around 50 cents per bottle. :D

I never could understand why all of the camping , backpacking and outdoor magazines do the boil test on every stove. I'm not sure about anyone else but out camping I never had to catch a taxi or train to get someplace. Heck I don't even take a watch with me since what time it is is determined by what I want to do or feel like doing.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
In another direction - I sometimes carry two cake pans. One nests inside the other. They are about 8" or 9" wide, and maybe 15" long. (somewhere in there.) Sand in the bottom of smaller pan, a small camp fire. Larger pan sits upright, nested onto the back edge of the fire pan, acting as windshield and reflector. A small, personal fire that won't start fire in carbonaceous soils such as muck or peat.

Rocks make nice fire places, but are heavy to carry. Some areas (Florida and Louisiana come to mind) seem to lack handy rocks for fires.

A conical hole in the ground serves as a nice fire place too.

islandpiper

Jack, we have lots of rocks here in Louisiana. The problem is that they are about 40,000 feet deep here under Tangipahoa Parish. I saw a rock on the ground near the road just a couple miles north of here one day, but when i went back to take a closer look it was gone. piper