My favorite time of the Year | SouthernPaddler.com

My favorite time of the Year

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
FALL ............ AUTUMN .......... Whatever you call it, this is the best time of the year! Cool nights, brisk days, pretty - even beautiful - leaves. Bugs are dead and kids are in school. Hot apple cider with a cinnamon stick and a big doughnut. Another summer under our belt. Summer reruns are over. Halloween, Thanksgiving, my birthday, Christmas, Hannakuh - the world celebrates in the Fall!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
FALL ............ AUTUMN .......... Whatever you call it, this is the best time of the year! Cool nights, brisk days, pretty - even beautiful - leaves. Bugs are dead and kids are in school. Hot apple cider with a cinnamon stick and a big doughnut. Another summer under our belt. Summer reruns are over. Halloween, Thanksgiving, my birthday, Christmas, Hannakuh - the world celebrates in the Fall!

I have to ( Dam It :shock: ) agree with you :wink:

Fall is nice down here since it is longer then when we have winter for about 3 or 4 weeks. Around here it is the sun moving south , the shadows of everything are pointing north and the days are getting shorter.
The north sidewalks are sunlit and not shady anymore. While the ones that were sunlit ( sunny ) during the summer are now in the shade.
There is a leaf change , they go from green on the tree to brown on the ground ( some do have colors in them ) while all the tropical's and evergreens stay the same.
It does get cold . at times , during the winter , sometimes even down into the real low temps , below freezing.
Fall and Spring are the best times with winter tossed in between them , just to make everything better.

I am looking forward to the cooler weather , even made sure I have a pair of long slacks and one long ,sleeve, flannel shirt in case it gets cold enough to wear them.
Like you , I am looking forward to Halloween, Thanksgiving, my birthday, Christmas that the world celebrates in the Fall and Winter. Heck , even some camping where Right Guard and Bug Dope is optional or even not needed due to the better weather.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
<SNIP> even some camping where Right Guard and Bug Dope is optional or even not needed due to the better weather.
Right Guard??!! You wore Right Guard camping? That explains the bugs we had on Outhouse Key. :wink: I wondered about that, all this time. Between you and Yakus Formidableicus - Mac and I were in trouble. :wink:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I shared a tent with Kayakus Jackus..... He needed even more right guard but not under his armpits! :roll:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Well Bob, The Mizzus has let up on giving me as much abuse and I have been missing it...... So I thought I would log on here to give Jackass... OPPS! :oops: I mean Jackus Kayakus someone else to pick on and give you guys a break. :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Welcome back, Yakus Stupendicus. Aye god it's been a while.
I've camped with this guy off the southern tip of Florida, in the Gulf of Mexico - and on a big lake in Canada. He hauled my sorry arse across much of Pennsylvania one day. He's a good guy.

JEM

I don't do any soup or gumbo cooking until I have a day without running the A.C.. Had a cool weekend 2 weeks ago and made my chicken noodle. The full pot didn't last past Sunday evening.

This weekend looks to be nice. Since the wife and kids will be gone, I do some boat building instead.

islandpiper

So, you got your plane back? How many hours in your book now?

I made a couple gallons of chicken vegetable soup on monday last week and it didn't last long. All flavor and goodness and probably pretty low calorie, too.

We turned the AC on freeze and ate in the house to give us that AUTUMN IN MICHIGAN feeling. It ran in the hign 90s all week here.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
HOT DOG..... Finally.......

65 here at the place this morning and it sure felt good as I went for my walk. 1st time is several months that arriving home I was not drenched in sweat in fact I was as dry as when I started the walk. Had a good breeze as I walked along to keep things cool.
The place is open and that nice , cool , breeze is coming in the windows , it sure feels good. :D

They are saying 59 for Orlando in the morning and this early in the season ( Normally we expect weather like this at the end of October) it is something to enjoy , sure is a lot nicer then all the heat we have been having. Guess I am not the only one enjoying this weather , this morning a lot of homes had there windows open when they are normally shut.
Some even have there Halloween decorations up. One place has some stuffed Crows on a wood fence , I had to stop and take a better look to make sure they were stuffed ( they are ) since some live ones were flying overhead.

Going to celebrate this weather with a big pot of some seasoned (spicy) Chili tonight.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
islandpiper said:
So, you got your plane back? How many hours in your book now? <SNIP>
The ruptured duck has been home a while now, thanks. About 250 hours, I think.

My Son made some roasted pepper & tomato soup last week. Great stuff! I now have the tail end of soup made with roast pork, brats, cabbage, onions, garlic, caraway seeds, beer, and V-8. JARVIS good eatin'!

Cold, windy, and rainy here. Got up early the last three days to go fly, and couldn't becasue of weather. AARRGGHH!! I'm getting grumpy.