My first build and questions... | SouthernPaddler.com

My first build and questions...

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
No questions now, just starting a thread that will follow my first build and serve as a place for me to ask a question or two along the way.

Now a bit of background. 'Bout 4 years ago came across this site and Matt's and got to thinkin' I wanted to build, but the old pocket book always said no. Well, the wooden boat building bug has bitten again and this time the fever is too high for it to just "go away," only medicine will be to actually build (plus gots to get on the water and need a constructive hobby), plus Uncle Sam is sending me more than normal this go round.

I'm starting this thread to kind of log my progress and to ask questions along the way.

With that said, I will be seeking to complete this first boat cheap (cheap play and basic hardware store materials) due to money issues (wallet is thinner than a babino's hair). Can't justify buying plans right now either, so have downloaded some of the free plans out there and read a bunch on here, and know I can do this.

So make room in the luni bin for another...

No questions now, but look out, cause I'm sure they will come.

Step 1 will be to clear off part of the carport (to be renamed boat building area).

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
As you have started the thread in the pirogue section maywe asume you are building a pirogue? Which one and desighned by who?

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Wow, that was quick. Slow day at work, just stepped away to another cup of coffee, come back & 2 replies...

Cypress, thanks for the offers and when if trouble hits, may reach out for a bit-o' free assistance.

Ozark, you are correct on this 1st build being a pirogue. After reading everyone's suggestions on here and over on Matt's site, appears to be the best thing to cut my teeth on. As for plans, well that's where my hard headedness will kick in, as it will be a combination of plans (or at least that's what's pictured in the ole noggin).

I've registered with Boatplans.dk and have downloaded their 12ft pirogue plans. Also have looked at the steps behind building an Uncle John's, and the plans for the Cheap canoe on Bateau.com (don't really care for those). I want a 15-16 ft boat and really like the look of UJ's pirogue,but don't have the tools to build stem pieces and can't afford the kit. So, this will be a combination of the methods used for both plans. Probably not the best idea for a newbie, but never did do things the easy way. Hoped end result is a 15-16 foot length, 32 in beam pirogue, with an inch or less rocker.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I know someone here that offered to give me a set of UJ ribs as I understand that is the kit. If you want them I see about getting them for you.
Paul

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Wow, thanks Ozark for that info...Will certainly have to think about that.

Somewhere out there I came across the measurements and steps for cutting and building stems and rib pieces, gave thought to building these myself, and could easily do so, only don't have all of the necessary tools.

This task/project will be completed using a hand saw for cutting ply. I've got a skill saw I could use to cut and build rib pieces, and could cut the stem length and angle. Just no way to cut the proper angles along the length of the stems.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Paul, methinks the basic tools for building the end pieces would consist of a measuring stick (probably a carpenter's square), a pencil, a wood chisel, and a hammer. Probably a pocket knife would be handy to trim around some edges somewhere. A few sheets of sand paper might be nice.

Of course, you're going to need some wood, too. Couple pieces of 2" X 4" oughta get you started.

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Thanks Kayak Jack,

Being a youngster (30 years dumb; starting the growth into a wise old geezer) I sometimes forget that handtools used to be used to build everything.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
My cordless drill has a little crank handle on the side. My cordless saw has a wooden handle.

There were no power tools present at construction of: pyramids, King Solomon's temple, Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria, Golden Hind. Kon Tiki, the outrigger canoe that sailed 2.000 ,miles to discover Hawaii - and another 2,000 miles back, etc. etc.

You WILL, however, want a power sander downstream. Fathers' day, Birthdays, 4th of July, etc are approaching as gift-time possibilities?

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
TOOLS??

Paul,
If you tell someone what you want the tool for, (ie; "I'm buildin' my own boat"), I can't think of a carpenter alive who wouldn't loan the tool to you.
There's something about being part of a boat-building scheme that will turn most of us on and make us want to be a part of it.
Some of the "Box" stores even loan or rent tools.

Lee

PS. There's two parts of this formula that were ordained by the Almighty Himself....
ASK........and........RECEIVE!! :wink:

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Wow...must say I've watched from a distance for awhile, but the support and advise you guys give around here is amazing. When I posted initially it was just to say "I'm here, and may come to ya with questions." Never expected the welcoming I've gotten on the forum plus a couple of back channel private messages to possibly visit with another forumite in the near future.

With that said, went to the local hardware store a couple of times this weekend and started crunching some numbers on what I estimate this 1st build to cost me going cheap.

Then I went home and started looking at some more of the designs out there, and....Well, let's just say that after looking at the Jem Touring Pirogue & Touring Pirogue-T, I really like the looks of those boats. In fact, since I first considered building a boat some 3 years ago, kept sketching a similar design & even tried to plan/build a model size out of poster board.

So, bottom line, while I may have desired to get on the water cheap and quick, my desire to build something that may last for years to come is overcoming me. I do believe it will be one of 'em 2 Jem Touring Pirogues that will get built. Just got to decide which one and start setting aside $$$ to purchase the build materials to do this thing right.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
LPM,

When that first few pieces of wood go together, and start looking like a boat, you will fall in love all over again. When you first launch your first boat that you built yourself, it will recur again. When, the first or second night out, you're sitting beside a campfire on a distant shore that borders a far away water, and you see the glimmer of light on your own boat, it will happen again, and again, and again. Welcome to the group.

Not all who wander are lost.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day again 1pm,

Not sure how I missed this thread, but welcome to the dark side mate. Lots of very good pirogue builders here. 8)

I am slowly but surely introducing the pirogue plague into Australia. :p

Mate, As I mentioned on the Jem site, The Touring Pirogue is a great boat. I am also playing with a UJ pirogue at my work. The build techniques and methodology are very different on these two boats. It is hard to say which is the easier build.

With either boat, you will end up with something very special. - enjoy.

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Hey Mick,

I've been on the dark side for a long time, just stuck in a state of limbo where could not justify building. Still can't really, but I just gots to get back on the water and my little 10 ft plastic folding canoe ain't gonna cut it no more.

As I just posted over on the JEM site, plans were just ordered for the Touring Pirogue. So, I guess the build process has begun. Cuz before this, all I did was think about it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
lpm said:
Hey Mick,

As I just posted over on the JEM site, plans were just ordered for the Touring Pirogue. So, I guess the build process has begun. Cuz before this, all I did was think about it.

Thinking about it , procrastination and worrying just does not do it , you have to jump that 1st hurdle.
That is deciding to do it and make your own boat the way you want it.
No one else on here will make it , we might offer suggestions and then some direction if you have questions but only you and you alone can decide to do it and then do it the way you want it.

Each boat made by the folks on here is as much as an individual as they are. It is something created by you for you and can become very habit forming , if not an addiction. :D

There are two types of wood boat builders , those who only make one and those who just can't make to many of them.

Chuck.

sheetsrep

Dec 7, 2007
Hey lpm, I think you made a wise decision on the plans :wink: Good luck with the build. Just remember its only wood and epoxy :D

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Kayak Jack said:
islandpiper said:
I'm going to be in nackatocorches loooooziana in april.......I'll meet up with the new guy and do my part to spoil him right.
... and another good guy bites the dust.

Not so sure about the good guy thing. Afterall, I enjoy eating my grits, love the smell of sawdust (probably will enjoy epoxy as well), and have gotten all of the puns on this forum so far.

Hey, figured I might as well join the idiocracy and build my own craft.