My Midlife Crisis | SouthernPaddler.com

My Midlife Crisis

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Been a little "pre-occupied" in recent weeks. sometime, Life just gets in the way.

anyway, i would like to introduce you to the new love of my life.

Been thinking of getting something like this for a while now. It is a very long time since I have ridden one but have been feeling the need to get the wind in my face and to get as near as possible to horizontal around high speed mountain bends again.

Having my own lil crisis here now and loving every minute of it.

MyBikeandTatt002640x480.jpg

MyBikeandTatt003640x480.jpg

a very happy hairy,

MyBikeandTatt007640x480.jpg

and another one of these too :shock:

MyBikeandTatt009640x480.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick....

I really like your new ride , sure wish I had one of them around here.
That is the way to travel around the territory , see the sights and just have one grand time. Road machines eat up the miles and make each mile really enjoyable.
You can really wreck my day and have me daydreaming about going down the road if you could let us in on some of the facts about her. PLEASE.......

Looks like a Harley but if I see things right it is water cooled or appears to have a radiator on the front upright which means it isn't a Harley , I'm thinking a Suzuki Touring Bike. :D

Chuck.
PS. Matt ... They say Sturgis is the Granddaddy ( Top Dog ) of the meets. Guy's from around here will ride all the way out there for that get together on there bikes.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Guys,

re Sturgis, we have a couple of anual events that are probably similar, One at Bathurst and another at Phillip Island.

I am not into the ricky road racer thing with multi cylinders screaming like a box of blow flies, fairings and all that other bullshit. I like the feel and the thumping roar of two big cylinders. This one is a start in that direction.

It is 30 or so years since I owned a real bike and I have never owned a V twin before.

Chuck, thanks for the interest mate.

It is a Suzuki Boulivarde, C50

Engine capacity 805cc - probably at the bottom end of the V twin cruiser range.

My heart was screaming Harley (fat boy) 8) but my head said Japanese. I just can't justify the outlay at this time.

This bike has plenty of power for me at the moment. The dealer said she will hold 160KLM per hour (100mph) easy enough and I believe him - err - :oops: now 8) :D

We have all year riding here it never gets too cold and I have been feeling a strange need to get back to my roots for a looong time. recent events here have only re-inforced that need. A bunch of my mates are like me, old-ish farts who used to be bikers and are likewise getting back into them, only I am a bit slower off the mark than them. They do regular rides and camp outs all over the place round here and have a ball. Harmless fun. They are not the patch wearing gang maggots we see and hear so much about, just blokes who love to ride real bikes. Good people, I know and work with them and would trust each of them with my life. - another story, sorry.

anyway, I am off down the roadd today to visit one of them. He has a farm about 50 miles south from here. He Is recently out of hospital and is recovering from surgery. I am gonna do some chores for him. :D if he'll let me. A ex-pat New Zealander Maori, very proud and I may have to slap some sense into him. :D :D

would it be OK tp post some bike road trip reports here somewhere? :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick...

They are trips ...RIGHT.... That's why we have a trip section. Just do us a favor and list them as Road Trips so folks will know. :D

I understand what you are saying , have had 7 road machines in my earlier days , some even full dressed and a lot of fun to run around on. The folks use to ride with a friend of theirs , Capt Davidson of Harley Davidson , he was a Capt in Dads command.

From what I have been able to keep up on the bikes ( I keep looking and dreaming) you picked a dam good one. :D Just ride responsively and safely. If you figure out how to carry a boat on it , let me know. That is the one thing that stops me from getting another one.
By the way one your size will pull my little camper , not that I was thinking about that when I got it. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Chuck.
Looking forward to taking road trips with you , even if it is just on here.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Good point , and take the hammock to sleep in or a small tent and the Trainga stove to cook over. :D :D

My problem is the defibrillator , if I was on a bike and it went off there would be hell to pay. 4 wheels under me is a lot safer and about like being on a bike , I said about , no where as exhilarating and as heart beating but as as much freedom as the bike , it's close enough for me.

The Jeep can be open like a bike and around here it is the same class or click wise when meeting another Jeep Wrangler , soft top , we do like bikers do ... we give each other a nice Hi , How Are You Wave as we pass. Something the folks in there steel 4 wheel coffins don't do.

That's why I call the Jeep my imitation Harley. :lol: We have that commentary that bikers have as fellow freedom loving folks. Or as the old timers would say , Good time Charlies , we just enjoy what we are doing and have a blast doing it.

Like the Harley Riders say.... If I have to explain it , you would not understand it , how true that is. 8) 8)

leeh

Jul 24, 2009
That's a nice lookin bike. Looks brand new. Been years since I've ridden a road bike, decades actually. What're the helmet laws like there? Does the new tat have any hidden significance?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Big day yesterday!

I went down to my mates as i said. he is also a biker but rides one of those buz box sport tourer thingees LOL.

Out of nowhere, a bunch of other blokes turned up - all Maoris and in true Maori fashion, they all chipped in and in no time flat, all the chores were done.

Maoris, ate native New Zealanders and are descended from the Hawians. give them a guitar and a fire and before you know it, you have a party. Nobody on earth can party like Maoris :D Try to picture it, a bunch of Huge South Pacific islnders, heavily tattooed (as is the Maori way) and fearsome buggers all, and me :D . Nobody likes to beat each other up more than Aussies and Kiwis. never to let an opportunity go by, I know these blokes pretty well and It seems that word has got out about a few problems I have been having lately, and bloody Dave had organized this without my knowing to cheer me up a bit.

Long story short, I had a bloody great day with these very good men, made some new friends and have made plans to visit often.

Leeh, thanks mate. appreciate it. helmets are compulsory here - no exceptions. Re the Tatt, it is just a tripple shark in a sort of tribal style. No secret, just a design that i like.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Love the bike, wanted another one forever but that's one consession that I have made with the wife, never again :roll: . Instead I have to satisfy myself with this: :D

Dads%20Car.jpg

Good riding and be safe.

leeh

Jul 24, 2009
I was thinkin Pontiac Solstice. Much the same as the Sky, I guess. But very nice, BTW. Fun to drive?

Here ya go, Mick.
solstice.jpg

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Definitely a Sostice by Pontiac. Picked this up from the local Saturn Dealer, they were made at the same plant as the Sky, also exported as the Opel GT. I liked the looks of the Solstice better than the Sky, reminds me of the original Corvette. Not very expensive compared to any other two seater or even any other car. Lots of fun to drive and they make it in a turbo version, definitely something you could get into trouble with. :lol: I'm real happy with the tame version. They are getting lots of these with extremely low miles, I guess most people store them over the winter, not a problem down here in the south. This is my regular everyday driver, hate to put lots of miles on it but can't afford a weekend car, wait that's what my truck is, use it mostly to tow the camper and take the boats to the river. Rode a bike for a few years but gave it up after getting run off the road twice in a month. :evil: