My New Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

My New Pirogue

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
I just wanted to show you my new Pirogue.
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k52 ... ogue26.jpg
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k52 ... ogue24.jpg

Without all of your help I would have not been able to complete it. She 14' long, 32"-33" wide at the gunnel, 24" at the chines.30 degree bow and 15 degree at the stern( I tried put on a transom but it wouldn't work- next time). 4mm luan sides butt jointed and 1/4" ext ply on the bottom. I have 1x2 cedar strip on the bottom for a keel. The gunnels and chines are 1x2 cedar glued on pl premium adhesive. Filets are epoxy and flour but used pl masonry sealant towards the end and now prefer it. Breasthooks are 3/4" Poplar dowel and thwarts are made from an old shower rod flattened on both ends and thru bolted with ss hardware. The interior paint is Deckscapes stain one coat so far over one coat of epoxy. The outside and bottom is Sherwin Williams all surface exterior latex.

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
Thank you , Ron.

Has anyone tried the Sherwin Williams all surface exterior paint before? My carpenter buddy was telling me it was same as marine paint just in different package. I was just wondering about it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Without all of your help I would have not been able to complete it.

Are you sure it was all of us that offered the correct ideas ( help ) about building it , The reason I ask is that the pictures show it floating. That is plenty of probable cause to think it was another group that helped you on that. :wink:

Good job and you should have a lot of fun years using it for your relaxation.

Chuck........

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
So far the paint is doing well. I did wait 2 weeks after the last coat before launching though. It did get some scratches on the first launch. Of course I feared the worst but just down to the primer. Handles mud no problem.

I should have taken pictures of the olive drab the girlfriend picked up. When I got the second coat on the boat looked like a pickle. I can only imagine the comments I would gotten on the water if I had left that color on.

I think on my next one I am going try putting a transom modeled after a traditional Glades Skiff.

I have to say that without this site I could have never done any of this. Thank you all for everything.