MY NEW WORK BENCH | SouthernPaddler.com

MY NEW WORK BENCH

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
I have been kicking ideas around for some time about a bench to build my boats on. Well, it's a done deal. Went with this design. 2 sections 8 feet each X 30 inches wide.
STITCHANDGLUEBENCH.jpg

They stack when not in use.
Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Casters lock and work great
Picture003.jpg

Long view and showing how I cover with a couple of loose panels for layouts.
Picture004.jpg

Pirogue

Nice workbench. I'd be willing to bet, with a little more engineering, you could make those legs collapsable thus having a workbench you could tuck away, or make it portable for say, someone on the board who would like to borrow it for a spell!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Pirogue said:
...with a little more engineering, you could make those legs collapsable...
I've always marveled at how, on TV, they wheel a gurney up to the tail gait of an ambulance and those rigid legs collapse up into the flat configuration. THERE is a geezer gizmo to which I give a tip o' my hat.

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
Kayak Jack said:
Pirogue said:
...with a little more engineering, you could make those legs collapsable...
I've always marveled at how, on TV, they wheel a gurney up to the tail gait of an ambulance and those rigid legs collapse up into the flat configuration. THERE is a geezer gizmo to which I give a tip o' my hat.

Awe man! Now ya'll have done it. I was pretty happy . . . now you got me to thinking. :wink:
I bet that could be done pretty easy.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
SCENE: Basement or garage workshop.
POSITION: About to commence short, running start.
GOAL: Ram workbench up cellar stairs, or up stairs to garage overhead storage space.
ACTOR: Preacher, in bib overhauls, Red Man packet peeking provocatively from a breast pocket next to a square, carpenter's pencil, red bandanna draping, manfully from left, hip pocket.
ACTION: Silence pervades the set. Preacher breathes in deeply, and exhales. One extra collapses from the aroma. He breathes again, holds it, sets his mighty muscles, and begins the assault.
SOUND: Heavy breathing, rapid steps, rolling wheels, a rumble of heavy wooden bracing unheard in the civilized world since the time of trebuchets. Rapidly, the first step of the stairs approach....... BAM!
"DAMN!" the wheels didn't collapse."

Long, mournful sighs, a tear or two. "That sneaky Kayak Jack lied to me again." sigh

Nice idea Preacher! After my garage fire the cleanup crew built me a fine workbench. like yours, it is in 2 sections 8 ft each, for a total of 16 ft of workspace, but it is attached to the wall and can hinge down should I ever want to do something as morally questionable as parking a car in the boatshed - I'm sorry, the garage. My bench-mounted tools are mounted on thick ply bases which are normally screwed down, but they can be pushed back to the wall to give me the full uninterrupted length for long, narrow workpieces. Please cleanup the drool before it damages your keyboards, folks!

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
ancient kayaker said:
Nice idea Preacher! After my garage fire the cleanup crew built me a fine workbench. like yours, it is in 2 sections 8 ft each, for a total of 16 ft of workspace, but it is attached to the wall and can hinge down should I ever want to do something as morally questionable as parking a car in the boatshed - I'm sorry, the garage. My bench-mounted tools are mounted on thick ply bases which are normally screwed down, but they can be pushed back to the wall to give me the full uninterrupted length for long, narrow workpieces. Please cleanup the drool before it damages your keyboards, folks!

He who would park a car in the boat shed is beyond reprehensible and approaching the level of a politician.

Too late about the drool.