My practise boat. Now I'll take on building the Swamp Girl. | SouthernPaddler.com

My practise boat. Now I'll take on building the Swamp Girl.

gpratt

Jan 29, 2004
St. Cloud, FL
Yo folks

Chuck suggested I put this up for ya to look at. It's a link to the only other boat that I've built.

As soon as I get a little more work done around the house a Swamp Girl will be underway. After that a flats boat that drafts 3" when loaded. Plus of course my big dream of building a 25' offshore boat but I think I'll need to win the lottery for that one.

Although, now that I see the boats you guys are into I'll just have to see where the future leads me.

Here's the link:

http://66.70.13.66/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=30

I built her about a year and a half ago. It's 16.5' long with a about a 7' beam. Powered it with a 50hp Yamamha. So far the boat has worked out real well for me. It's set up for fishing basically. It'll drift across 6"-8" flats with no problems (depending on who's in the boat and where they stand of course). It handles rough water inlets with ease and she loves to get anchored over a good shrimp run for dippin. It's not a great boat at any one task, say off shore or very skinny water but it is a great around boat.

It was a real learning experience. I'd never really worked with epoxy and fiberglass before. The core material is fir plywood. 1/2" for sole and keel, 1/4" for sides, and 3/8" for bulkheads and so on. The bottom is glassed with 12oz bias, sole 6oz woven, and the hull sides 4 oz inside and out. Painted it using the roll and tip method. I used System Three epoxy and paint.

OK, who's for going fishin.

Gary

Allen

Jan 17, 2004
central florida
nice one gary ! you can go after just bout anything in a center console like that. cant wait to see how your swampgirl turns out!

~ allen

gpratt

Jan 29, 2004
St. Cloud, FL
Thanks for the kind words.

I am looking forward to sometime with a little more instant gradification. That one took me a while just working it just weekends and nights.

Gary