My UJ Pirogue is done! UPDATED with on the water shots | SouthernPaddler.com

My UJ Pirogue is done! UPDATED with on the water shots

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
Finished my UJ Pirogue 7-24-07 and it took me about about 9 days to complete it.

Will take it out in a couple of days for a spin...

The boat weighs 50lbs and is 15'4" on top.
IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
TG......What kind of plywood did you use? Your boat really looks nice!
Mine took 8 months! Damn I'm slow! :(

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
9 days, WOW! That must be a new record! Mine took about 2.5 months working on it only an hour or two a day, some days more, but I wanted to give the epoxy plenty of time to cure and there was always that 4 letter word getting in the way(W$@k).

TG, you got yourself a right purty boat. :wink:

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
OldYaker---The plywood came from my local Home Depot and is just the Luan stuff with Exterior grade glue.

I guess it only took me 9 days because I worked on it day and night during that time. I tried to use the time wisely, like if I was waiting for epoxy to cure then I would be working on another part of the build.

And I did not stick to some of the recommended cure times. I mean if the epoxy was not tacky anymore and felt hard I would start the next step. It has been very HOT here in central Florida so that really speed up the cure time on the epoxy.

I'll be taking it out for the first time on Friday so I'll get some action shots.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Turned out beautiful Glenn and just a 9 day build. Yes please, give us some water shots!

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
Took the "Pee Ro" out for the first time this morning and I didn't sink!:D

No seriously the boat did great and paddle just fine. I took it to Juniper Run and paddle down stream about a mile or so and then turned around. Of course go down stream was a breeze and coming back wasn't to bad except when I got into heavy current and she wanted to go a different direction.

All in all it paddle alot better than a Solo Canoe I had and really wasn't that tippy.

Here are the pictures...
IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0611-1.jpg

And then on the way back to the house I decided to stop by at Lake Dorr (Spelling is correct) and see how it tracked in calm waters. I think if I can find a cheap kayak rudder I may add one but until then I can live with the way it paddles and tracks.

IMG_0618-1.jpg

IMG_0616-1.jpg

IMG_0617-1.jpg

Again thanks for all the help and I will be building more in the future.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dang.....ya'll have been postin' some fine lookin' boats on some sparklin' water. I thank all of ya.

regards
bearridge

If the world was a logical place, men would be the ones who ride horses sidesaddle. unknown

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Man TG That boat just gets better looking, especially when wet. You sure have some purty water to float down there. I will have to get down that way somwetime. I would love to hear more about how you think she handles as your boat and mine are just about the same size with three ribs and 15' ish. I'm still a novice paddler and need more info to campare etc. Thanks for any info. Again, Your boat rocks! :wink:

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
cctyer---To me the boat handles great and it is alot faster than my sit-on top kayak and to me just as stable.

Mine ways 50lbs which may be a little heavy but that little extra weight helps in stability I would imagine.

The only issue I had was paddling upstream in the swift current. It was fine in the steady current but If I ran into any real fast water the boat would head right for it.

But the boat is not design for river running and it will do me just fine for fishing backwaters and lakes.

And I don't see how you could paddle that style boat with a single blade paddle. My kayak paddle worked great and it was much like paddling a solo canoe or kayak.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks for the info TG, I have been doing some testing with both paddles and seat hieghts etc. I agree the single is harder to go staight with but it works well in tight areas just poking around. For me the double gets you there lots straighter.and quite a bit faster. I will post my findings soon.

Thanks again and happy boating!

Chad

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Glen,

i thought I had allready congratulated you. Either I am havine a "poppy moment" or something else has happened.

Anyway mate, congratulations. That is a magnificent effort - 9 days to build a boat - and a very good build at that. Bloody goodonya mate! :D

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
hairymick said:
Heya Glen,

i thought I had allready congratulated you. Either I am havine a "poppy moment" or something else has happened.

Anyway mate, congratulations. That is a magnificent effort - 9 days to build a boat - and a very good build at that. Bloody goodonya mate! :D

No I don't think you have gone bonkers...YET!

I posted it in the Pirogue section and then was asked to also post it in the Bragging Section.

But thanks...twice for the kind words! :D