Nalgene Bottles... | SouthernPaddler.com

Nalgene Bottles...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
OK, Here we go again! :roll: A local TV news media put out yet another report where Nalgene bottles are bad for your health. Those who have been wilderness canoing for awhile know we have been down this path before. I started getting emails from novice paddling/campers who have heard this report. Myself, I love the stuff. I have been using the bottles for a long time.
I have not grown extra appendages or lost eye sight, gone sterile, grown hair on the palms of my hands or gone crazy. Some on this forum may beg to differ. :? I have scoured the internet and the most I can find is inconclusive evidence. The most I can find is if you eat a Nalgene bottle everyday for the rest of your life, it may cause a problem. :roll:
This issue has been presented before with any definitive evidence, Nalgene is still here....

What say you good members of this fine forum? Or, do you know any proven evidence one way or another?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Nalgene themselves published a synopsis of the event that triggered this story. As I remember is, a high school science teacher did a poor job of monitoring a project, a student stored straight chlorine bleach in a Nalgene bottle, and there was a slight residue of a substance that was thought to be carcinogenic.

Operational words here are straight (or nearly straight) chlorine bleach, and thought to be. Food grade lexan is used widely in the food industry and has been for years.

Poor reporting that tries to create trouble has been used for years too.

I still purchase and use Nalgene bottles as the standard of the industry. A few million others seem to be following my lead. Darn!

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
prodMenuImageBottle.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalgene

DM
mike

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I can vouch for Jack......Lordy I never thought I'd hear myself say that.... :cry: .Anyhow, Jack is a first A1 number one Grandpa.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Tor said:
oldsparkey said:
I have quite a few of the Nalgene Bottles and continue to use them, So far there has not been any detrimental effects

mmm...? and many more of you use Nalgene too, no ill effects you say. :roll:

Tor

Let's see.....my Lexan (same plastic compound) bottles are four years old and used daily. So far the only side effect is that seem to be four years older. Pure chance? I think there may be a connection.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
When a reporter/newspaper needs a corner-filler, they often drag out old myths and reprint them:

"Henny Penny - the sky is falling in!"

"All the gold is gone from fort Knox."

"Donald trump only 24 years old."

"World is no longer flat."

"Teen ager dies after eating gritz and Viennie snausages."

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
When a reporter/newspaper needs a corner-filler, they often drag out old myths and reprint them:

Yeah, truth is he was just nauseous for a few weeks....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
BEARS BUDDY said:
Kayak Jack said:

Yeah, truth is he was just nauseous for a few weeks....

Nauseous is eating at Jacks favorite restaurant .... the Road Kill Cafe at Everglades City. There chow ranks right up there with smoked oysters and turkey burgers. Or it might of been there waitresses that got Jacks eye , I think the one gal said she was only 80 which had to be a lie since she moved like someone 96.
The cashier was quick , he was a walking computer as long as he did not have to add anything up over 10 and make change for it.
Gritz and Vienna's are a campers gourmet foods , only thing close to them is Beenie weenies. :D

Chuck

Tor

Well Gentlemen,

I came across a little information in chemistry world which you may all be interested in. Especially the epoxy users.

bisphenol A is getting a blast by the regulators this is the compound that is used in the nalgene type bottles and a fair proportion of the epoxy that you use as a boat builder 'cept tx riverrat...

apparently they're going to label it as toxic now whoa there boy don't be rash (pun intended).

of course its toxic as are the rest of the hydrocarbons in plastic, perhaps what the regulators should be doing is making sure that the chemicals are use in such a way that they become less toxic

I could rant but I don't have the time... :x

this article regarding bisphenol A may have been the spark for the comments in the press about nalgene etc...

Tor

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
As Mark Twain said, "GOD! - save us from the do-gooders!"

Just wait until those regulators find out how damned toxic gasoline is! They'll wanna take it off the market. And - it explodes now and then, too.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I started using my Nalgene bottles to store whiskey and brandy....I figure if hooch kills germs, it oughta put a hurt'n on the bisphenol A. :wink: