Nantahala/Lost Mine trip May 07 | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Nantahala/Lost Mine trip May 07

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Mr. Bear
Nice hat? Please bring it the next time you fellas do my river. The boys with the banjos need a new target. I did enjoy the pics. It looked to me to be a fun river. Although I prefer slow flat water it did look like you were havin a time. Thanks for sharing your adventure. Happy Paddling.
Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joe.

Judging from bears hat , I would say he has been eating to much rice and needs to go back to honest food .. like GRITS.

Unless that is what he cooked his grits in , if he inverted it like a stir fry pot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
PS, Bear .. Ya hat is going to give all of us a lot of fun to pick on , just like the manikin wearing it in that unsinkable red U.S.S Missouri he is in on the river , or should I say RIBBER. :roll:

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Chuck
If I can get another group of tree huggers in we can roast dead cow in that hat then stir fry a coon or possum. You have ta figer the what bad could come of it . Some body coughin on the food.
Joe

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I really haf ta stop look'n at those pitchurs wit dat hat.....I'm hav'n flash backs when I'm sleep'n..... :?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
I really haf ta stop look'n at those pitchurs wit dat hat.....I'm hav'n flash backs when I'm sleep'n..... :?

Are ya sure you are looking at the HAT ???????? an not what is under it . That would keep the boogie man out of the bedroom , roaches , critters , rats , mice's , bed bugs , snakes , preachers , hurricanes , thunder storms , blizzards , snow , tornadoes , wives and even the girls from hooters.
A weapon of visual destruction an devastation :p

Chuck.
PS... Jezeeeeee it even would turn MRE'S sour , if that is possible since they last over 100 years.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Joe,

Back in the early 90's bout 10 of us put in at the top wearin' tall, black witch hats. Dave got 'em frum the art 'n theatre folk who had jest done a Will Shakespeare play with a heap a toil 'n truble.

There wuz a parkin' lot fulla top notch, high dollar whitewater paddlin' gear. They never seen a motley crue like us wearin' tall, black witch hats. We dont have pichurs. That wuz before I had Miz Bear fer shuttle bunny 'n pichur taker. These days it iz purty dreary on the river. :(

One time Dave come across this big orange navy surplus raft they used ta rescue space cowboys like Gus Grissom who fell inta the ocean. It musta been 30' long....mebbe more. Some a the gals got these Jap lanterns. Someone come up with a wet bar 'n we set in lawn chairs late in the day. We run the Falls. It had folks talkin' fer a few years, then that Hinkle fella shot Reagan in the ass 'n nobody tole campfire tales bout it no more.

Bout the time the Russians, french, Italians, Canucks, etc. come fer the world paddlin' contest there, Dave come up with the idea of hookin' two sit upon kayaks ta a frame with seats 'n oar locks. He got the local muffler shop ta build him a frame which he attached with velcro straps.

I watched when Dave 'n Diana come down the river 'n run it thru the Falls, then eddied out 'n come back up 'n put the nose inta the big drop. That day Dave wore hiz overalls 'n turnt hiz John Deere cap sideways. At the top of the Falls he stuck hiz tongue outta the side of hiz mouth.....like Billy Bob done in Slingblade (really a Kaiser blade).

So ya see.....there must be somethin' in the water. :mrgreen: :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Jesus was a Jew, yes, but only on his mother's side. Archie Bunker

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Bear & swamprat I have to say I really liked the pics good job even if you weren,t the taker. :) Looks like you guys enjoyed it & really had a good time.

I believe I would like to try it some day. The guy in the green canoe did take a swamping. Got ask what is the yellow looking stuff in the canoe,s (flotation) .

Also I don,t paddle white water but I do wear a life vest on some river s. I have a regular fishing vest. It tends to rise up on my back when paddling, front & sides rub you on the neck sometimes. Have to keep pulling it down.

I like the ones you & your buddy have on , what kind,name brand & where did you get yours.

I have to say it looks like your an exsperanced white water paddling ole geezer. :wink: :lol:

Can,t wait till I see sparky in there paddling. :) :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend catfish,

The weather wuz mitey purty....sunny everday. I wished I had left my big fella sleepin' bag at home. Yer welcome ta join up with us next time.

Yeah, folks dont blow out with az much....style...az Swamprat. He come up with a smile 'n wuz ready ta give it anuther try, but he iz gwine ta have ta wait til fall cuz we already had Joyce Kilmer planned fer the last day.

The yellow bags have air in 'em. A canoe fulla water iz hard ta control 'n hittin' a big rock kin destroy yer boat....'er the paddler if ya end up tween a canoe fulla water 'n a rock.

I paddle a sit upon ever now 'n then, so I got a kayak lifesaver. Mine iz a Lotus Design. I picked it up at the NOC store a few years ago. http://www.noc.com/store/category_18_1.html

regards
bearridge

Woodrow Call: What do you want legs for anyway? You don't like to do nothing but sit on the porch and drink whiskey!
Gus McCrae: I like to kick a pig every once in a while. How would I do that?

gator_8_em

Oct 30, 2005
Southeast Georgia
Great pics and what an adventure, guys. A group of coworkers and myself have taken up white water kayaking and we're due to try the Nantahala in June, our third summer at white watering. I didnt realize you could do this sort of thing in canoe but I think I'll stay with the yaks, seems like they would be easier to maneauver. Each year we get a few guys that phase out and a few new ones that try and so far we've managed to bring everyone home alive.

Almost forgot....I'm not very good at this, but still trying it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Gator

You want a good trip , get up there when bear is camping at the Lost Minds Campground , it is in the middle of things as far as white water goes. Plus he really enjoys helping folks do white water , when he starts talking and explains it you know he is serious when he starts drooling thinking about the river and it ain't nowhere near meal time.

White water is really his cup of pleasure , even with that nutty hat he had on last time. My guess is he got it so when he brakes dances he has a pointed area to spin around on while doing those twisty head stands/spins. :lol:

Bear , If I have volunteered you for something you don't want to do ( cuss me out) but I think it is better if someone who knows what they are doing points out the right way to do it. Besides it will get you more river time in your canoes.

"O" , if you manage to get with bear , you folks ( 7 scores of years and younger ) take mercy on him and respect your elders. :roll: ( Man I'm in deep do do now)

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend gator,

It gits in yer blood. Hope we see ya'll on the river one day. Dont fergit ta give the Tuckaseegee a try. After May 19 they'll be releasin' water on it. Makes it a fun river....a good, short, warm up paddle fer the Nanny. Dillsboro to Barker Creek...take out at James Jackson's place (Tuckaseegee Outfitters). This iz a good "howdy" ta the new folks.

regards
bearridge

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy. unknown

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
( Man I'm in deep do do now)
Mister High Sheriff,

Yer always in it.....least that iz what my nose tells me. [How am I doin' Gerry?] :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Old paddlers iz like old fishermen--they don't die, they just smell that way. Bears Buddy

gator_8_em

Oct 30, 2005
Southeast Georgia
Friend bear......I'm one up on ya...we did the Tuckaseegee last year. I remember cause I kept wanting to call it the Tuskeegee (sp). I don't recall where we put in and took out but we did get out at an outfitters. Even bought a cd with pics of us on it. A good day was had by all.

gator

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Aint no point in missin' each other by a few weeks. I know how work messes up with paddlin', but how tied ta are ya'll ta June? Az ya seen, we pitch a tent. It kin be hot in May. It iz more'n likely ta be hot in June....'n crowded.

Kin ya'll come in May?

regards
bearridge

I know that poetry is indispensable, but to what I could not say. Jean Cocteau

gator_8_em

Oct 30, 2005
Southeast Georgia
bear.....can't change the dates since it's a free trip. One of the vendors that calls on us at work likes to show their appreciation for doing business with them and normally they take groups fishing or some golf outing but I suggested white water kayaking a few years ago and have been doing it ever since. Already got a cabin in the woods all lined up and guides who will be taking us down the river. Haven't been doing it long enough to do it by ourselves, unlike you. Maybe someday. My goal for this summer is to learn a kayak roll but haven't started yet.....their good intentions anyways.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend gator,

Anytime ya'll wanna join up with us, yer welcome.....all of ya'll.

regards
bearridge

I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called 'brightness,' but it doesn't work. Gallager