Nantahala Oct. 07 Pt II | SouthernPaddler.com

Nantahala Oct. 07 Pt II

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
This iz the long "S" curve that makes the Nantahala Falls tougher'n they would be if ya jest lined up 'n run thru. There iz some tricky, big water 'n big rocks up at the top where I wuz when Miz Bear took this one. The problem here iz that if ya take on too much water, ya caint make yer canoe go where ya want it ta go.

Ya'll kin see some of it better in this one where I am catchin' Truckstop.

I been tryin' ta cross this stretch 'n catch the two eddies on river right fer near bout 10 years. Got it once a long time ago before they begun ta release more water two years ago.

I caught it. It took a while 'n there wuz many tries when I went over that last drop backwards.

Geezer gatherin' at the Lost Mine Campground.

The grand ole geezer aka Commodore.

Ronald Reagan dropped by.

Mothers hid their kids. Fish crawled inta logs. Men corked their sippin' whiskey. Mac wuz back....wearin' a stylish t-shirt. :wink:

Later that evenin' we roasted the Sparkanator. Everbody had ta come up with a bad word bout him. After two 'er three hours, I went ta git some shut eye. I dont know when the cussin' stopped. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

regards
bearridge

ps Mac sez Ole Sparkey learnt him ta spread the extra thick BS. I had ta step in 'n clear the air with some truthful talk.....like Jack does.

Sometimes the light's all shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
what a long strange trip it's been
Robert Hunter

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have to give Karen some credit , that is one great picture of Harry , really great.

Well ... NOW .. I'm glad I didn't make it , that is why or the way you guys roasted me and gave everyone else a break. :lol: Heck it was about my turn in the bucket .... anyway. :oops:

I'm sure there were plenty of topics you involved me in or about and none of them were true , except the part about me being a handsome devil and only telling the truth all the time. "O" my on here honesty will get you nowhere.

Chuck.
PS. Mac does have style and only wears the finer things in life. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
In all fairness to anyone wanting a normal tarp.

D.Cooke does make tarps that don't look like left over parts from a circus , you know the way a real tarp is suppose to look like. One solid color.

I had the pleasure of camping with John Depa and he had a normal one in a nice shade of green , it was relaxing , sitting under it there wasn't any need for sunglasses because of the weird colors. My guess is Johns wasn't made from left over parts.

Plus with the solid color , you don't keep swiveling your hear around looking for the corn dog stand , cotton candy stand or popcorn machine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
It's easy being normal......It's also very boring being normal.
Normal is like a hard boiled egg without salt....grits without butter......a nice clean shave with out after shave lotion....a cool beer that has gone flat.....
Now ya see, if Bear, Jack, and myself had normal tarps.....you wouldn't have anything to talk about. :lol:

Besides, the grandbabies love Pap Pap's Circus top! :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
WOW.... I go fishing and get two hits in a hour , this is going to be a good fishing day on the forum. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me ask this , You go camping and there are 20 campsites around the lake you are on , everyone except for one campsite has the bright colored patch work tarps and want to be seen.
The one camper without the patch work tarp has a green one so they blend into the woods and are a harmonious , non intrusive , natural part of the surroundings , who is not normal then but the exception. :roll:

Chuckles.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ozark said:
How many nickle balloons does it take to fill ol red that much?
Friend Oz,

In the ole days I blew 'em up, but nowadays I use a electric blower. It also comes in handy when the firewood iz a mite green 'n dont burn too good.

regards
bearridge

Lord, the money we do spend on Government and it's not one bit better than the government we got for one-third the money twenty years ago.  Will Rogers

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Your in the wilderness.....real wilderness like Algonquin....125 miles from the nearest hole in the wall ville or burg. You go day paddling from your base camp. The winds pick up and it takes you longer to get back and it's starting to get dark. The shoreline all looks the same in this twilight and you can't spot your campsite..........your blend in non intrusive tarp is doing a great job hiding from you and you spend the night in the canoe waiting for dawn to try and spot your camp.
OR............someone has a serious medical issue, the Provincial Park plane flys over the parks once a day.....will he spot the circus tent with you jumping up and down waving your arms for help......or will he spot that fine green tarp in those big green trees........

( Chuck stepping in here .. Down here a low flying plane would drop a 50 pound bag of Coke on the tarp thinking that is where the party is .:roll: )

If there are twenty other campsites around that lake......I won't be there....I like wilderness....not a commune.....

You don't catch alot of fish...do ya Chuckles? :lol:

Gotta run.....smoker is fired up with 6 chickens and an 8 pound butt roast for pulled pork sammy's! Back later!!!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
The Tuck wuz dry. Thanks to the drought, they stopped the releases frum most dams. The Ocoee 'n the Nantahala were the only rivers running in west Carolina.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I,m afrad I am with Chuck on this one guys. I even emailed Dan to ask if he could do one in camo or drab olive but unfortunately, he only does the colours he has.

Will have to get round to ordering a green one.

The multi coloured party jobs are a little too bright for my liking.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
I,m afrad I am with Chuck on this one guys. I even emailed Dan to ask if he could do one in camo or drab olive but unfortunately, he only does the colours he has.

Will have to get round to ordering a green one.

The multi coloured party jobs are a little too bright for my liking.

I guess we are alike on that item. I like to camp and make it so anyone camping near me can take pictures of the area without having something un-natural in there pictures. If they should take a picture in the area where I'm camping.
If I could get everything in Camo I sure would , if not then something that will blend in.

Heck I have been known to even pull the boat up off the water and into the brush then set my camp up back off the river (but with a view of the river and I have even washed out any sign on the river bank that would show I'm there ) so the paddlers coming down river don't even know I'm there. That just adds more enjoyment to there trip since they think they are the only ones in the area , except when I do the steak , garlic and onions for supper. :lol: :lol: :lol: Well that would depend on which way the wind is blowing.

Might be one reason why I have had Wild Turkeys and even some Deer walk into my camp before they knew I was there. Not even saying anything about the ladies paddling by getting a sun tan on parts they don't expose in public. :oops:

I have found it is a lot more fun when no one knows you are there. :wink: Just an old habit of mine , I don't like to announce where I am camping , there are to many spots where you have to that , called designated camping areas.

Chuck.
PS. I have been known to carry some camo skeeter netting to drape over anything that might be seen.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ole Spare Key,

Doin' any good? Catchin' anything....after the two this mornin'? :mrgreen:

Frum what I read, it dont rain on Mick often. I got my tarp fer rain. I dont give a camo thong whether anyone knows where my tarp hangs. I dont sneak 'n peek at the women. Cept fer the whitewater, I hope I dont ever paddle where the river iz so fulla folks they would see my tarp anyway.

Dang.....ya hooked me agin. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I kin think of a time when I mite want a small camo tarp, but not when I am jest out havin' fun. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Now Ned, them whores are going to tell different lies than you.  And when their lies ain't the same as your lies....well, I ain't gonna hurt no woman.  But I'm gonna hurt you.  And not gentle like before...but bad.  Little Bill Daggett