National Organization for Rivers | SouthernPaddler.com

National Organization for Rivers

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
I found this at : www.nationalrivers.org/skills.htm a place that has much information on rivers. Did you know or are aware of the Supreme Court has ruled any river (no matter how small) is Fedral waters and the states may have overseeing, but all people can float it no matter how small the craft ( canoes/kayaks, ect). Even the local governments and the states can not close it.

Here is some safety tips to consider when heading our or planing to paddle a river: Thanks to The National Organization for Rivers (NORS):

"Axioms to Paddle By" (with thanks to the Oregon Kayak and Canoe Club)

1. Training, preparedness and common sense are the three most important things you can take on a river trip. They don't weigh anything, they are easy to pack in your boat, and they don't smell bad after an overnight river trip.

2. Don't go into the field unless you are dressed to play.

3. The river is always the boss!

4. Q. How strong is the river? A. Stronger than me.

5. Mother Nature plays dirty.

6. The river gives the test, then teaches the lesson.

7. Having rapids named after you is generally a bad thing.

8. Cold, tired, hungry, stressed-out paddlers tend to make bad decisions -- even if they are your friends.

9. Don't paddle it if you can't swim it.

10. Portaging is much easier than CPR . . . so is scouting.

11. All bleeding stops . . . eventually.

12. If it's cold, get it warm. If it's wet, get it dry.

13. When in doubt, dress for immersion.

14. Improper use of rope on the river can kill you. Proper use can save your life.

15. No on-the-job training at a real rescue.

16. It is much more important to feel good than to look good. (Unless you're a rodeo paddler or a raft guide.)

17. Fear is God's way of letting you know he wants you to stay alive. Pain is God's way of letting you know you are alive.

18. Pain is temporary. Embarrassment is forever.

good huh?
swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Think it out twice; paddle it once.

Never pass up a chance to take a drink of good water ... nor to pass it on once your body's done with it.

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you it's time to slow down.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Over the years, I have suffered all of the above, No. 3, 4, 5, 6, almost 7 thanks to Bears warning, 17 and 18 on the "Tuck" in May. And yes Jack, I had my share of drinking water that day..... :roll:

Shut up Joey!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Swampy said:
Don't go into the field unless you are dressed to play.
Friend Swamy,

The women that tole the High Sheriff ta "skin off them britches" could see we wuz dressed ta play, but I aint sho we knew what game. :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
tribe of the blue tarp

The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program.
Ronald Reagan

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Whashington Post had a reeporter on th' river that day and interviewed the High Sherrif later in camp .... ( one reason I waz in camo blue that night ...), Anywayz, the reeeporter asked why hit took sum 4 hourz to git away frum those sirens on the bank's o' th' Buffalo that mornin ...

Spark's answer was that he, "... Weren't about to tell hiz Brothers where Art waz..."

Kinda like when ol' Zeke got lost fer a bit ..... th' Cyclops had 'em! :shock:

Ya kan't rely on the WP though...... well maybe sum times .... thiz adventure had sum thin to do wit water ... :roll:

swampy

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
Think it out twice; paddle it once.

Never pass up a chance to take a drink of good water ... nor to pass it on once your body's done with it.

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you it's time to slow down.

A sucking chest wound REALLY sucks