National Scenic Rivers | SouthernPaddler.com

National Scenic Rivers

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
think that's either an old website that hasn't been updated or there's different types of designated scenic waterways in louisiana

most of the rivers and just about every bayou around here is a "scenic" waterway according to the state folks

scenic designations means, among other things, that we can't pull up sinker cypress logs. No real big deal as there are plenty logs in the non-scenic waterways, but i don't understand how folks benefit by leaving these old logs buried in the mud for the rest of time

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
seedtick said:
think that's either an old website that hasn't been updated or there's different types of designated scenic waterways in louisiana

most of the rivers and just about every bayou around here is a "scenic" waterway according to the state folks

scenic designations means, among other things, that we can't pull up sinker cypress logs. No real big deal as there are plenty logs in the non-scenic waterways, but i don't understand how folks benefit by leaving these old logs buried in the mud for the rest of time

"Wild and Scenic" is a federal designation. Wonder if our great state has it's own twist on the term. Wouldn't surprise me :roll:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Tick,

That site iz up ta speed. It iz the National Scenic Rivers. A state kin call a local river "scenic" if it makes folks feel better. A National Scenic river stops folks frum buildin' along the banks. They try ta make the river go back ta the way it looked when the High Sheriff wuz a little pardner......rite after the Crow Magnums come up suckin' hind tit. :wink:

Usually only a short stretch of the river iz actually protected frum folks. Less than 50 miles of that New River in Northern Carolina that iz national scenic. Only 26 miles of Black Creek iz National Scenic. Bout 150 miles of the Missouri River iz protected.

I dont see that pullin' sinker logs does no harm, cept fer the noise of the engine. Many (but not all) National Scenic rivers keep the noise makers off 'em. I figger less than 1% of the river miles in the USA iz protected.

regards
bearridge

Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact. George Eliot

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
i really like the part about trying to put things back the way they used to be........maybe if they hadn't built the levees on the Miss River and blocked off streams like Bayou Manchac and Bayou Lafourche, we wouldn't have so dang many people around here now and we certainly wouldn't be wailing about coastal erosion and wetlands loss

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I think they jest tryin' ta save a few small spots so the little pardners kin see what rivers wuz like before folks messed 'em up. Kinda like a museum where they show folks what the ole time boats looked like. :wink:

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Rivers with some protection under state river programs.
http://www.americanrivers.org/site/PageServer?pagename=AMR_content_68a1

In addition to the Chattooga, Georgia has Ebenezer Creek, and the Conasauga River and the Jacks River. The Jacks River flows into the Conasauga and has Georgia's largest volume waterfall. They both flow through the Cohutta Wilderness and the Conasauga starts there. The shortest trail to Jacks River Falls actually starts in Tennesee and is about 4.6 miles one way of fairly easy hiking along an old road. There is a shortcut that can save a bit if you know where it is.

1364.jpg

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
bearridge said:
A National Scenic river stops folks frum buildin' along the banks. They try ta make the river go back ta the way it looked when the High Sheriff wuz a little pardner......rite after the Crow Magnums come up suckin' hind tit. :wink:
If I'm not mistaken, wild and scenic rivers are also protected from flow control, i.e. dams and weirs. Am I correct? (or full of Boat Science?)

Beesboy

Sep 2, 2010
Seedtick,
I know this is an older post, but Louisiana has an additional Scenic River program that is State Law. Here is a link to information on the program along with map of all the streams in the state. Leave it up to LA to complicate matters by more laws. :D