New Boat For My Brother-LAST POST | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

New Boat For My Brother-LAST POST

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
Re: New Boat For My Brother-10/24 WOOD WORK IS DONE

My problem with the resin not curing must have been another "fogger" incident. The stuff just wouldn't harden after a week of waiting. So a little elbow grease, vinegar, and acetone and off with the old and on with the new. Now I'm back on track and the fiberglass is set and sanded with #1 steel wool and ready for varnish. Waiting now for the gray inside walls to dry for a second coat.

The Red Oak for the top of the gunnels is in place and I also decided to stain the top rail even darker to match the fillets. That stuff is hard as iron and really difficult to bend.

All the rigging has been pre-fitted and holes drilled so I don't have to take a chance with a fresh varnish finish.

The Trolley is complete and ready to go, the seat is complete and only waiting for me to float this thing and get the center so I can place the seat. I even got TCF a pretty black crate to go behind his seat and a new (homemade of course) black mesh fish basket to hold all those Crappies (did I spell that right????).

Picture220.jpg

Picture215.jpg

Picture217.jpg

TROLLEY7.jpg

TROLLEY9.jpg

TROLLEY12.jpg

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
Re: New Boat For My Brother-TIME FOR VARNISH

Well, that's about it. Got the last coat on and the rigging on. Found 2 puddled spots that I will have to repair after she cures real good. New spray gun got ahead of me if you know what I mean. If the Lord is willing I will float her Monday or Tuesday and mount the seat and install the foot braces. After that she is a fishin machine. I was just noticing the Bumble Bee Yesterday and the B is kinda beat up . . . and I felt a little proud. She has slaughtered a lot of fish over the past year.

Picture223.jpg

Picture224.jpg

Picture225.jpg

Picture226.jpg

Picture227.jpg

Picture228.jpg

Picture229.jpg

I really like the pic below . . . it shows her rocker and shape.
Picture230.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: New Boat For My Brother-TIME FOR FLOATIN

Good looking craft but I sure noticed a marina in the background of the #2 picture and another in picture # 3. Heck what can I say a person never has to many boats for there fun.

Let us know how this new addition to the congregation works for you. :D

Chuck.
PS. Noah would be envious....... :wink: :wink:

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
Couldn't wait, just had to paddle this baby. First thing right after Church ran home, changed my clothes loaded the Honey Bee and drove to the pond at my office. Turned around and drove right back home and got the paddle. :mrgreen: When I got back to the pond I trollied her down to the water and jumped in. I had a blast for about 45 minutes. She handles like a dream even with the high seat. She's fast, faster than the Bumble Bee, turns around in a heart beat, and I tested her glide . . . more than 200 feet without turning and inch, and she drafts about 2 1/2 inches with my 255 pounds sitting in the seat. Yes, I tested to see if I could stand up and "NO PROBLEM!"

I took a rod out with me and slung a lure for about 30 minutes and she did great. I made sure I tested the extreme casts (as far as I could cast) and she still was solid as a rock. I did my lean outs and she did good there also although I believe I could have caused her to take on water if I tried hard enough.

Verdict . . . I will be building another one of these babies . . . for me :wink: :roll:

Yes, I did keep better records and have all my measurements and drawings.

Picture231.jpg

Picture232.jpg

Picture233.jpg

Picture234.jpg

Any problems? yes, I managed to apply too much varnish on the last coat with my new spray gun and caused some wrinkles on the front and rear decks. But, I'm going to let Bubba paddle her for a while and when the weather gets bad I will take her into the shop and redo the deck varnish.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERRY!

Link to the build album.
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee56 ... YS%20BOAT/

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Re: New Boat For My Brother Rev TCF

preacher said:
JEM said:
nice looking hull. From the images, the back end might be a little tough to get the side panels to follow the shape. But that could just be the image and not reality.

Thanks Matt. I am way ahead of the posted pics and yeah the drawing shows a more radical curved boattail than the build but not much. When I stitched it up it had a wonderful reaction, I immediately had 3 inches of rocker. I put all the measurements down in a lofting drawing in case this thing works out. I do know that it looks beautiful so far.

Good job. I like the shape. I have been trying to grasp the causes and effects of "rocker". Do you know the flair angle of the sides? Any positive or negative issues with the decks for a fishing?

Thanks
beekeeper

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
Re: New Boat For My Brother Rev TCF

beekeeper said:
preacher said:
JEM said:
nice looking hull. From the images, the back end might be a little tough to get the side panels to follow the shape. But that could just be the image and not reality.

Thanks Matt. I am way ahead of the posted pics and yeah the drawing shows a more radical curved boattail than the build but not much. When I stitched it up it had a wonderful reaction, I immediately had 3 inches of rocker. I put all the measurements down in a lofting drawing in case this thing works out. I do know that it looks beautiful so far.

Good job. I like the shape. I have been trying to grasp the causes and effects of "rocker". Do you know the flair angle of the sides? Any positive or negative issues with the decks for a fishing?

Thanks
beekeeper

Sidewall flair angle - I'm not skilled in boat design criterea enough to figure things like that out. I have acquired a computer program that will do that but I am just now trying to learn the program. The way I create and adjust rocker in my boats is to simply push the top of the side strakes out until the desired rocker is achieved. Then I secure the top of the side wall with braces during the filleting, glassing and ultimately the bulkheads are installed. The rocker is a great asset during rough water times and also when manuvering in tight places. I also think it looks good on a boat. This boat, for example is 28 inches at the widest point of the hull plate and 33 inches at the same point at the top of the sidewall. That also helps establish a little secondary stability.

As for fishing and decks I like the flat decks because I can put stuff on the deck and it don't slide off. If I'm carrying some bulky cargo I have 2 nice flat surfaces to put it on. The one drawback created by the flat decks and the rocker is when it starts to rain the water runs into the cockpit like it does in my Bumble Bee. I corrected that by building a header, between the front and rear deck and the cockpit, that pushes the water out to and off the sides.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks for your answers. I would not know how to use a computer design program if I had one. How much rocker do you put? I believe the angle of the sides could be calculated with the side height, bottom width, and beam width.

beekeeper

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
beekeeper said:
Thanks for your answers. I would not know how to use a computer design program if I had one. How much rocker do you put? I believe the angle of the sides could be calculated with the side height, bottom width, and beam width.

beekeeper
This one has 3 inches front and rear. Sidewalls are 10 inches from stern to midships, 12 inches at the bow.