New Boat | SouthernPaddler.com

New Boat

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
Finally water tested her this past Sunday.The construction is based on Herb Cottle's work. She is just shy of 12' and 24" at the chine and 32" at the inwale. The cedar "ladder" was made from ripped cedar fence pickets. The rungs were fastened with Kreg pocket screws and construction sealant. Inside filets were done using construction sealant with the epoxy applied over all bare wood. She is little short for my frame on big water but should work well for the wife, child or on small body of water. The flat back produces to much drag IMO. Stability is good but not good enough to stand readily. I cut 1.5" arc out the bottom chines which stop bow hull slap and lessened a lot of rocker. IMO, I should have increased the side flare to 30 degrees and made her pointed on either end. Well here goes the next build.

044-1.jpg

045-1.jpg

043.jpg

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Nifty boat. I like skiffs, but my experances tell me the square stern does create a lot of drag.
You and Joey should compare notes on these tin can builds. Looks like they are catching on. How much does it weigh?

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
You have my attention. Looks great. On my build, the epoxy didn't stick the aluminum to the rails. On the next one I'll use some construction adhesive. Did you use bare aluminum or did you paint it?

Joey

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
Sorry about the delay but deer hunting has grabbed my attention just long enough to fill the freezer. She weighs about 25lbs. The flat stern cost me a little in added weight. I had the same problem with a leak developing between the aluminum and the wood. I recommend using Sika adhesive or sealant but don't use Pl Premium adhesive as it tends to bubble up if left exposed to air and not in a joint. I didn't paint the trim coil. It came with a baked on finish. I recommend checking out some siding suppliers if you want a different color other than white. Some have a whole pallet of colors like colored mortars to chose from.

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
jdupre' said:
You have my attention. Looks great. On my build, the epoxy didn't stick the aluminum to the rails. On the next one I'll use some construction adhesive. Did you use bare aluminum or did you paint it?

Joey

I used a wire wheel on my drill motor to get the oxidation off of the bare aluminum trim coil. I then wiped the aluminum and the wood with acetone, then painted some clear resin on the wood that the trim coil would attach to, then mixed up some resin with wood flour, not too thick so it could be painted on. Worked like a charm, I guarantee it won't leak.