NEW BUILD QUESTION | SouthernPaddler.com

NEW BUILD QUESTION

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
Ordered my glass and stuff and UJ's kit today...gonna go get my Wood this weekend. Question is...i've sawed paneling before and it splintered real bad and am going to use 1/4" Lauan to build my boat. Is there any way to keep it from splintering it?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Buy the finest toothed metal blade you can find for your jig saw. It will do a good job of cutting and no splinters.
Ron

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
I've got a fine toothed saw for cutting mouldings and a fine toothed blade for my jigsaw. Think i'll try both on some scraps and let ya'll know which one i went with. Am kind of a perfectionist and a damned neat freak so i'm gonna do this right or as right as i can. Will be wiping up any excess glue, resin, or anything else on the wood as i'm not crazy about sanding or scraping any more than i have to. Gonna get my Resin and UJ's kit probably Monday and am gonna get my wood this weekend. 1/4" Lauan and 3/4"x 1 1/2" for the Rub Rails. Hopefully will be building by Tuesday. Will take picture of my build and post them as i go. Sure appreciate you all for all your' help...talk with ya later!

woodchips

Mar 29, 2010
Montgomery, Alabama
Put a strip of masking tape on the center of the line you plan on cutting. Draw your line on it. (if your cutting instrument is biting on the up stroke...ie. circular saw, or jig saw) (if table saw - put the tape on bottom side because it bits on the down stroke) The tape seems to hold all those splintery edges down instead of letting them fly freely. We do this all the time when cutting down fine wood veneer work surfaces on office furniture. Then one quick pass of a file on the cut edge (where the tape meet the wood) and you pull off the tape resulting in little to no splintering.
Try a sample cut, check the results yourself and see what you think.