new decks and interior repaint (pics) | SouthernPaddler.com

new decks and interior repaint (pics)

Scooter

Pain in the butt how small projects take on a life of their own and become freakin' HUGE. I'd originally intended to install basic plywood flotation compartments. Then it became redwood/spruce decks. Then since I had to remove some almond paint from the edges, it woulda been stupid to repaint only those edges when I've never been happy with the almond anyway (looks too white in the sun). So....spent Saturday sanding ALL the almond in preparation for a different color.

Originally I had insisted on oil-based paint even though water-based house paint is widely accepted in boatdom. Almond was the only real choice in oil. Then wife got some latex mixed to match her mom's house, and I realized THAT'S IT. That was the color I wanted in Spud (the name of my pirogue...he doesn't answer to it though).

So....went down to Lowes before dark to have a gallon mixed in gloss (can says enamel). Just finished the second coat this morning, and I like it ALOT. :D

Although simple flotation compartments resulted in a major repaint of the interior, I think it's been worth it. Next thing is to have some dark burgundy mixed for the hull.
2007_0603Image0030.JPG

2007_0603Image0031.JPG

2007_0603Image0033.JPG

2007_0603Image0043.JPG

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
To quote Jim Carey in dumb and dumber! " I LIKE IT A LOT"
Your hard work has paid off well. That is one great looking boat with the combination of the wooden decks and the paint it all works very well. Be proud Scooter! I am a big fan of the natural wood look, but this looks great also! :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I concur with part of what Chuck sez. Spud does look good.

But - there is something quick & simple in boating. Actually, two things. tipping over and reading tidal charts.

The boy needs to start eating some grits so he can understand things...... Ya know .. The Good Lord says the water will go this way and you better like it or find something else to do for 6 or more hours. As far as tipping over , I will pass that on to the expert .... Kayak Jack.

Chuck.