New Flashlight ........ | SouthernPaddler.com

New Flashlight ........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
WELL....I DID it Again.. :roll:

For years I have used a Mini Mag light , 2 AA cell flashlight when out camping and even here around the house. If fact I have two of them , one red one for camping and a black one for around here. The wife keeps trying to claim the black one for here use but so far I still have it. Now when she takes it I will just let it go but keep the red one as a back up for camping.

I like the red one since it is really easy to see if it falls out of my pocket while sitting around a campfire. The thing I don't like is the restricted distance it will shine on something. Yes it will light it up at a distance but not as well as I would like it to. Sometimes you just want more light when looking into the distance.
It seams like everytime there is something I want to check on at night while camping the bulb in the Mini Mag burns out and then I have to replace it in the dark , that is a trick to do , if you have ever done it then you know what I am telling you. :wink:

I have been looking at these and finally decide to get one..............
To correct that problem , when camping , I purchased a variable powered flashlight that has 6 different levels of brightness. It will go from a weak beam to use in the tent or hammock to a more powered beam and all the way up to a really bright beam and just with two AA batteries for the power. The darn thing will even go to a strobe mode and for emergencies a strobe that also has a SOS setting. All the time using nothing more then two AA Batteries and it has a bulb life of 50,000 hours so replacing the bulb will not be a problem.
It remembers which setting you had it on the last time and returns there when it is activated , either for a quick look or by activating it for the constantly on setting. The switch in the base is the on and off and momentary switch , push the button for a quick look or all the way to have it on all the time , then again for off.

Plus it has a pocket clip that will go over some clothing to keep it where you put it so it does not fall out , the clip can be moved on the flashlight so either the base or head of it would go in your pants pocket or the pocket on a backpack for carrying it. Or anything else you would put it. It also comes with a carrying case ( Holster ) for your belt if you do not want to use the pocket clip.

On the low setting it will run for 110 hours before the batteries need to be changed and that is bright enough for around camp or in the tent or hammock to checkout things close by.
The best thing is that the weight of it is only 1.76 oz and it is made like a well made handgun , some really good craftsmanship.

It's the Fenix LD22R5 Black Flashlight , It is not cheep ( It's on sale right now :D ) but you really do get what you paid for with this flashlight.
http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fen ... eries.html

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Years ago, I carried an Eveready captain penlight - incandescent bulb. Then went to the Mini Mag lights. About 5 years ago I started using headlights with LED's. Light weight, waterproof (some of them), always point exactly where you're looking. I wouldn't ever want to have to go back to a hand held flashlight unless a headlight was absolutely unavailable. Here's some at Campmor:
item #: 82651 $20
Item #: 73080 $30
Item #: 82649 $30
Also a Petzl® Tikka 2 Headlamp at LL Bean $30

Other choices.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Back in the dark ages ( the 60's ) I use to use a headlamp. It was one of those which took the oversize Ray-O-Vac battery and had the power cord running from the battery ( in a Holster ) up to the headlamp. The lamp part was a good 2 to 3 inches across and had a elastic band holding it that could be used as a tourniquet today.
If you ran the power cord up ( under the back of your shirt ) from the battery to the lamp the cord did not get hung up as much on branches. :lol:

It was good for frogging or shinning gators since it left your hands free to use the gig. The best part was that it always made me a lot happier when I could take the darn thing off my head. It got me to where I really did not care for a headlamp and later in all my years of Law Enforcement it was handheld flashlights that filled the bill. Either as a light source or as a billy club , sometime both at the same time. The Kale Lights were indestructible and could break everything from pad locks to windows and things in-between. Heck you could run a car over them and they might get scratched but still operated like new.

Ever since then I prefer the hand held lights and I know the headlamps of today are a lot lighter and nicer but they just aren't a flashlight to me.

I guess if I was cooking the evening meal in darkness I might use one but I normally have the main meal before dark. If it is after dark then the stuff is usually cooked over a fire or the coals from the fire , steaks and potatoes.

I have cheated at times and have been known to stick the mini mag up under the side of my hat when fishing at night. That must make it a half A$$ headlamp. :lol:

Chuck...........

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I had (may still have) headbands with loops to attach a Mini-Mag to a hat or head. Worked fairly nicely. If I come across it again, I'll send it to you.
I don't have much need for whacking, so find the newer headlamps OK. I had a head lamp like - or a good deal similar to - the old you described. Like you, it felt good to get it off.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I had (may still have) headbands with loops to attach a Mini-Mag to a hat or head. Worked fairly nicely. If I come across it again, I'll send it to you.

Jack.........
I know what you are talking about...........I think campmor still sells them but I will not swear to it .
Thank's on the offer but I'll pass. I tried one a long time ago and have never used it again , it is somewhere around here and I haven't even looked for it..