new fly box | SouthernPaddler.com

new fly box

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I've been using small, cheap Walmart plastic tackle boxes to hold my flies and decided it's time to make something nicer. Scrounging through my wood pile, I came upon some sycamore cutoffs a friend gave from a rocking chair project. After a fairly intense session at the table saw , I came up with a few choice boards and built this.

To get this effect with sycamore, you have to cut it to a true quarter-sawn section. That entailed ripping at an angle and changing the angle every few cuts to keep the grain lines at 90 degrees to the surface. If you get just a few degrees off of 90, this effect goes away and you're left with a fairly plain looking board. I'm imagining a boat built with accent strips of quarter- sawn sycamore.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Re: nw fly box

That is one nice box Joey. Next time you get a sycamore log or a hackberry log lay it on the dirt and cover the ends with dirt. Keep checking the ends and if they start getting soft cut the log up into boards and dry them. Hopefully the spalting will be all through the log. Pretty stuff. Hackberry can be very attractive. May we see pictures of the inside of the box? That is if the inside is finished. Depending on the size of the timber or log it can be hard to keep your cuts completely quartersawn. Sometimes it is well worth the effort as we can see in the pictures. Well done Joey.
Bob

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Here she is, Bob.

Mostly sinking spiders and popping bugs for bluegills. The ones on the left are experemntal bass flies. Never really fished for bass yet. The bushy appearance of the maribou turns into a sleek fish shape when it moves through the water.

I've seen some spalted hackberry and it's beautiful. Kind of inexact science to try to do it on your own , though.

Joey