New guy from shalimar Florida | SouthernPaddler.com

New guy from shalimar Florida

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Hey everyone I love the site. Just got my uj pirogue. Working on scarf joints now and was wondering what glue to buy. I know uncle John says the glue isn't real important but I'd like something strong. Oh and make it something they sell at lowes. It's close to my house. Lol! Got lucky last night and scored a 4x24 craftsman belt sander for $89. It was a display model. Regular price...$199. That should make finishing those scarf joints go fast! Anyway got called back offshore early so the pirogue will have to wait a week. Later guys, Capt. Ben

skbilly

Oct 12, 2009
Kansas
Welcome Capt. Ben! I am no expert, but was told Titebond III was good, Lowes should have it. Post lots of pics of your build, I love seeing new ways of doing things. :D

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Ahoy Capt. You are right about the belt sander making fast work of the scarf joints. On mine, I had to try again, because I ate through the ply so fast with the sander, there was nothing left of my "scarfs". Go very lightly with your new toy, and you'll be alright.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Thanks guys. That's to funny about chewing up your joints. I was kinda wondering about that. What grit belt should I use? I have 60 and I think 120? After reading about your experiance I'm thinking 60 may be a bit much? I'll get some photos when I get home. The funny part about the sander is my girlfriend was helping me with the build. When we started sanding down the scarfs with my palm sander she said Theres gotta be a faster way? I said yep but belt sanders are expensive. So we go to sears where she works. I spotted the sander and she said "get it!" so the lesson is.... It's easier to get the wife or girlfriend to agree to new tools when she sees how hard some of these things can be. She was all for new tool equals less work. Lol!

skbilly

Oct 12, 2009
Kansas
Bently said:
The funny part about the sander is my girlfriend was helping me with the build. When we started sanding down the scarfs with my palm sander she said Theres gotta be a faster way? I said yep but belt sanders are expensive. So we go to sears where she works. I spotted the sander and she said "get it!" so the lesson is.... It's easier to get the wife or girlfriend to agree to new tools when she sees how hard some of these things can be. She was all for new tool equals less work. Lol!

Now why didn't i think of that. :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
So, when you want a new power saw, just dull up the teeth on a hand saw (on just one side if you REALLY want her to be frustrated), and ask her to make a cut or two. Dull up the bit in a hand drill and ask her to drill a hole or two, and voila'! a new power drill is in your Christmas stocking.

No end to this line of possibilities. To get a home brew outfit, just buy cheap beer, and secretly buy some expensive beer. While she drinks the cheap crap, show her the bill for the expensive stuff (all bottles of which you keep cleverly hidden off site). Casually mention how good home brew is, and how inexpensive.

Ask Yakus Imaginationicus (Oldyaker) or Piper San for some even sneakier ideas.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
-
Kayak Jack said:
So, when you want a new power saw, just dull up the teeth on a hand saw (on just one side if you REALLY want her to be frustrated), and ask her to make a cut or two. Dull up the bit in a hand drill and ask her to drill a hole or two, and voila'! a new power drill is in your Christmas stocking.

No end to this line of possibilities. To get a home brew outfit, just buy cheap beer, and secretly buy some expensive beer. While she drinks the cheap crap, show her the bill for the expensive stuff (all bottles of which you keep cleverly hidden off site). Casually mention how good home brew is, and how inexpensive.

Yep! Jack is right. That works great until you do it one too many times and she figures it out. OUCH!
Bob

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Wannabe said:
-
Kayak Jack said:

Yep! Jack is right. That works great until you do it one too many times and she figures it out. OUCH!
Bob

Then you can ask Santa for an icepack and a first aid kit for that head wound!

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
captaindoug hit the nail on the pecan

go lightly with the belt sander

don't try to scarf a whole sheet of plywood, practice on some scraps first and finish off with a less agressive sander - like a random orbit or pad - until you get the hang of it

IMG_1358.jpg

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I'm using Titebond III on my UJ. Seems to work pretty well. Note: Titebond III is supposed to be waterproof, as opposed to Titebond II, which is not. Some folks may say to use thickened epoxy, but my whole thing is, I'm covering all of my joints with epoxy anyway, so Titebond on the joints will be good enough for me. :D

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
skbilly said:
Bently said:
The funny part about the sander is my girlfriend was helping me with the build. When we started sanding down the scarfs with my palm sander she said Theres gotta be a faster way? I said yep but belt sanders are expensive. So we go to sears where she works. I spotted the sander and she said "get it!" so the lesson is.... It's easier to get the wife or girlfriend to agree to new tools when she sees how hard some of these things can be. She was all for new tool equals less work. Lol!

Now why didn't i think of that. :)
At work, we would call this a "best practice."

I used a random orbital sander on my scarf joints. That would NOT be considered a best practice. :lol:

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
So I'm thinking I'll go with the higher grit to start then finish with the palm sander? Also another quick question? I'm making a two man boat. What's a good length without being too long?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bently said:
So I'm thinking I'll go with the higher grit to start then finish with the palm sander? Also another quick question? I'm making a two man boat. What's a good length without being too long?

A lot of that depends on the weight of the persons who will be in it and what they take with them. The type of water to be paddled also figures into the equation. Personally I would say the standard length of 15 1/2 feet erroring on the side of safety.

Chuck.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
More than likely just the girlfriend and I plus gear. Around 400lbs. As far as water, mostly shallow rivers. Real shallow. I may venture out in the bay to chase redfish and flounder. So maybe I'll go 15 just to be safe?

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair