New Guy | SouthernPaddler.com

New Guy

Ump

Dec 11, 2008
NE Mississippi
I have a set of plans to build a square back pirogue, it is plywood build. I would like to strip build it out of cypress. What thickness and width would be the best? I was thinking 2 - 3 in wide and 3/8 thick, but unsure if 3 in. would make the curves and turns. I was thinking 1/2 in. on bottom with 6 in. boards Thanks for any help, Wade

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Is this kind of what you're talking about?

bpskiff001.jpg

bpskiff004.jpg

those are cypress boards between 5/8 and 3/4" thick. Friend Keith and I bend them all the time, no steam, no water. You should have no problem with 3/8" thick boards. Just go slow and give the boards time to relax.

Ump

Dec 11, 2008
NE Mississippi
That's a little nicer that what I'm aiming for. She is one beautiful boat. Mine will be covered in camo. Thanks for the help. Wade

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wade....

Glad to see you are on here after all the trouble you had . BUT.... That is just the beginning of the problems for you.

Trying to decipher all of the information you will receive will really make you think or make you wish you were someplace else. We are full of information and sometimes we actually use a comfort station to get rid of some of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The problem you will have ( like everyone else who signed on here ) is figuring out which way to go and what to do.

Welcome to a good group of decent guys that have a lot of experience ( Tons of it about just everything ) and are more then willing to help you. With some help ( Not Much ) then you will fall into the same category and do the same thing for a new person joining us. It is a progressive effort and pleasure all of us enjoy.
All of us learn from each other as the clock of Father Time Marches on and we learn new things. :D

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Welcome , Ump. Great bunch of guys here. Take in all the hints and suggestions that are given freely and copiously :) and use what sounds best to you.

And remember one thing-- if you read of someone on this forum having a great working knowledge of "Boat Science" , it not necessarily the high praise you may think it to be. :lol:

Joey

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Howdy Wade,

Good ta have somebody ta tell these fellas I dont make it up az I go. Some of 'em likely dont even believe there iz a Tammy Wynette Memorial Highroad. :wink:

regards 'n welcome
bearridge

Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings.  Ed Gardner

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
We live on the other side of the state, but drive thru Tremont bout 4 times a year on our way to 'n frum the Carolinas. There iz an ole couple who live near the stop sign az ya come off 78 inta town. They garden. Miz Bear likes ta point out how the ole man gives directions whilst hiz wife uses the shovel. I tole it iz Wynette country. Back home, ever now 'n then she sez "ya figger this iz Itawamba County?" :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps The last 4-5 times we come thru town, she aint been outside workin'. Aint seen him neither. Miz Bear worries they didnt raize a garden last year. Reckon they feelin' poorly?

Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot, either.  Anonymous