New Okwata underway! | SouthernPaddler.com

New Okwata underway!

islandpiper

Well, I have started my new Okwata.....Sorry, Matt, I made a few modifications to your fine design, and my vision is an issue too. I used 1/2 fir plywood and couldn't bend the ends so I just made it a little shorter and then I used the extra wood to make a cover for rainy days. I put a chair into it since it seemed to fit so well. Wow, what a boat.

cynbolom%201.jpg

cympolom2.jpg

Piper

(actually , this is a shipping case for an 1885 Cymbolom, the national instrument of Hungary. A side job like this every so often pays for my boat-building habit.)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
islandpiper said:
(actually , this is a shipping case for an 1885 Cymbolom, the national instrument of Hungary.
Friend piper,

I recall some honky tonks where we woulda been better off with a first rate Cymbolom player......instead of chicken wire. 8) One drummer begun ta make hammer dulcimers....kinda like Ole Mal Daglish plays, then he branched out 'n started making boing boxes 'n buzz cats which he used ta show off at the New Orleans Jazz festival. He performed, then showed 'em off. More folks bought 'em cuz they had covers that turnt 'em inta tables.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/dmm

regards
bearridge

So when all the yielding and objections is over, the other Senator said, "I object to the remarks of a professional joker being put into the Congressional Record. " Taking a dig at me, see? They didn’t want any outside fellow contributing. Well, he had me wrong. Compared to them I’m an amateur, and the thing about my jokes is that they don’t hurt anybody. You can say they’re not funny or they’re terrible or they’re good or whatever it is, but they don’t do no harm. But with Congressâ€â€

islandpiper

Kayak Jack, If a hand comes out of this thing, it had better have a partner and be really strong.......the whole package weighs in at about 250-300 lbs.....

Bearridge, I you are driving by here for Jazzfest YOU'D BETTER STOP IN.....you go right by me in Hammond and Ponchatoula......did your cympolom player use one of the big ones or the small ones? This one is a full concert size, about the size and weight of a small piano.

Matt, think about it: this design is really stable and you can clamp a trolling motor almost anyplace! A few more dividers and it could be one big takle box and still have room for Jack's lunch and some old National Geographics.

Chuck, in Florida the wheels would be handy where you used to have lakes, and Wannabe, in Texas it will float where you used to have roads!!

Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend piper,

A tear welled up in my eye the last time I saw the Big Sleazy. I dont see myself ever drivin' down that way agin. I will miss Jackson Square, the donut place, the Greek cafes that make great red beans 'n rice.....the Zulu parade, Dixie Beer 'n walkin' past all the high dollar cafes. They may still be there, but I dont care ta ever set foot down there agin. I wish I had gone more often when I wuz younger. :wink:

David's boing boxes were hammer dulcimers made frum wood frum the last of the Delta tenant houses, with tin frum their roofs stuck in the strings ta combine the hammer dulcimer sound with the ragtime piano sound. Did ya listen ta any of hiz songs? I have more of hiz music 'n I am pushin' him ta digitize hiz other music....frum the ole days.

He joined up with one of my brothers 'n me fer a Mississippi River trip one summer evenin'. That may have been the first time I missed the time 'n distance 'n ended up paddlin' down the stretch above Victoria Bend in the dark. We scairt the fella on the tow who wuz chunkin' trash off inta the river when we floated by. He sez our balls wuz made outta brass. I reckon we fooled him. We wuz jest dumb.....like Forrest Gump.

David got invited ta Washington ta play hiz boing box at the Lincoln Center. The Blues Traveler Band hear him 'n wanted him ta open concerts fer 'em. David asked "how much". They tole him "exposure". I caint tell what David tole 'em ta do with that offer. Mister Sid Selvidge frum Memphis Tennessee (Mud Boy 'n the Neutrons) signed David ta a contract fer a year 'er two, but most folks dont care fer hammer dulcimer music 'n nuthin' come of it.

He haz all this music that he sells on CD's at the art festivals along with the boing boxes 'n buzz cats az furniture fer the yuppie houses. The furniture sells fer a lot more'n the music.

One time he tuned hiz piano way different frum reglar pianos. Back then we lived next door. At nite we laid in bed 'n listened ta him playin' that weird tuned piano. I dont reckon I will ever fergit the queer sound of that piano.

regards
bearridge

ps I will drive down ta Pouncatoula someday. Got any mandolins I mite play? :wink:

I had amnesia once -- or twice. unknown

islandpiper

Bearridge.....a man of letters AND music. I am impressed.

I need ot make a run of Mando's in the near future to fill a couple of patiently outstanding orders. Visit my site and tell me what you'd like and I'll do my best to work it in. Now......I do have a real by golly 1951 Martin A-style, very very good condition in the original case.....plays well and is priced affordably. Cash flow is more important than profit at times. Care to see it?

Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ya talkin' Martin guitar 'er mandolin? I got fired frum one job in my life....fer playin' the mandolins. :mrgreen: I jest like ta play 'em....not buy 'em....but now that I dont have a long shelf life, no tellin' what I mite buy. :wink: