New Pirogue Comes Home to Roost | SouthernPaddler.com

New Pirogue Comes Home to Roost

islandpiper

After long negotiations, arm twisting, coin tossing, a trip into the confessions booth, and a seance, channeling the spirit of Muddy Mike, the old Cajun.......Swampwood and I brokered a deal and I came home with his pirogue.

It's waiting beside my shed right now, while i get the hangers back up on the rafters. Then, it'll be inside till i can get it out and in the mud where it belongs.

Here is a pic of the bottom (graphite) next to my old UJ (green).

P4110381.jpg

Lots more pics in my photobucket file:
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr34 ... 20Pirogue/

Thanks Larry!! piper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I'm glade it made the trip fine for you. I know you will like this boat a lot. Please keep us posted as you make it your own.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
He'd had a lot of enemies if that were the case. Even a poisonous snake would have had a hard time getting to the bacon that day.

(In Nam, we had five kinds of snakes. Four were poisonous, and the fifth one ate you whole.)

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
After looking at your photobucket site, I have to say that I'm somewhat concerned that only 2 of 13 pictures show the boat in the proper paddling position: open side up. You have done this before, right :roll:

islandpiper

Rpecot.......You've been transferred to the "safety engineer" position now?
:D :D :D I got this boat with no operator's manual, instruction book, easy-start-guide, directions or even a sketch of how to install it onto the water. So, I'm sort of flying blind here.

When i can get it and all my stuff to landing and fill it up, i'll show you the "right side up" pictures.

The bottom is actually VERY NEAR to the same footprint as my UJ. The flare is greater, or appears that way. I didn't measure the actual beam of both boats, but will do so, ASAP.
Set out side by side, the new boat SEEMS larger. (more space for a second Dutch Oven, and if i'd lose 30 pounds or so, i could pack a couple of cast iron skillets, too)

piper

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
islandpiper said:
The bottom is actually VERY NEAR to the same footprint as my UJ. The flare is greater, or appears that way. I didn't measure the actual beam of both boats, but will do so, ASAP.
Set out side by side, the new boat SEEMS larger. (more space for a second Dutch Oven, and if i'd lose 30 pounds or so, i could pack a couple of cast iron skillets, too)

piper

Piper,
Looks like the new boat can carry your UJ, you, and 2-3 dutch ovens and not break a sweat. :D :D
After all it was weight tested by our other friend, BK. :lol: :lol: :lol: