new pirogue | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

new pirogue

keith

some back ground on the shop: the outside area is where we do most of our work (no air ). picture #5 shows some crab pots, anchors (we made), pullys and chain falls ( we use to roll logs or boats) and a milking pot. photo #6 shows some skinning / hide boards, log arger, log dog ( came from the bottom of the lake stuck in a log for a hundred years) and stuff. photos #11, 12, 13 show our logging tools, cross-cut saws one man and two man, all four for cutting soft wood (long teeth), cypress. we made the broad axe, you can move the handle from side to side ( left and right handed),one side is flat for hewing beams.the adz's, we made 4 of them for our dugouts. the hatchets, ebay and antique stores. later, keith

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Tom iz droolin' ta see yer ole tools......naw, not that....the ones in them pichurs that dont come up no more. Reckon ya'll kin set up a Webshots 'er some spot where folks kin take a peek?

regards
bearridge

I cannot call to mind a single instance where I have ever been irreverent, except toward the things which were sacred to other people. Mark Twain

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
We probably need to do something like that but we always seem to run short of time. Retirement is tough, no holidays, no vacations, no paycheck............

In the meantime, why don't ya'll load up on gas and make a day trip down here and see this stuff in person? You're not that far away, we could sit and scratch for a few hours before you had to head back.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
someday.....someday.....Tom iz the tool fella, I jest wanna set round a Beowulf table 'n have a cold drink with ya'll.....mebbe listen ta some bagpipe Zydeco? :wink:

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
those were posted when imagestation was still in business

when they shutdown, so did the links to the pics

who'd athunk sony would've shutdown their photo site??

guess it didn't generate enough money

keith

bear i'm trying to send you some shop / tool shots, i copied this from above, hope it's in order. some back ground on the shop: the outside area is where we do most of our work (no air ). picture #5 shows some crab pots, anchors (we made), pullys and chain falls ( we use to roll logs or boats) and a milking pot. photo #6 shows some skinning / hide boards, log arger, log dog ( came from the bottom of the lake stuck in a log for a hundred years) and stuff. photos #11, 12, 13 show our logging tools, cross-cut saws one man and two man, all four for cutting soft wood (long teeth), cypress. we made the broad axe, you can move the handle from side to side ( left and right handed),one side is flat for hewing beams.the adz's, we made 4 of them for our dugouts. the hatchets, ebay and antique stores. later, keith

IMG_0770.jpg

[/url]

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
By golly ya'll got some tools.....tomahawks too! Someday that shop oughta be a nationalized historikle shop where the little pardners git ta see how stuff wuz done back in the ole timey days. Mebbe you 'n Tick oughta git a wax statue? Naw....it mite melt. A cement statue would be best....life size. Be sho ta put one hand out, so the museum folks kin move one of ya'll over ta the Logerator control panel frum time ta time.....'n zap 'em with the sireen.

One more pichur, if ya'll dont mind. Where do ya'll set af the end of the day 'n have a cold drink? I reckon there iz an ole gin fan in there somewhere ta blow the skeeters away?

regards 'n thanks
bearridge

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. Benjamin Franklin

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
Shop & tool pics

Thanks to Bear for asking and to Keith & Tick for the pics. I see a LOT of old tools that I too have, on the deck, in the shop and in the barn.
It's a shame that the knowledge (and practised expertise) of how to use them is a vanishing art. I was raised by a carpenter who WAS expert in the use of traditional woodworking tools and managed to absorb a wee bit of his knowledge along the way. FWIW, his drawknife is STILL sharper than I could ever make it even tho it still sees occasional (respectful) useage. I just wish I could get my crooked knives that sharp! Tom

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Nice.....I knew ya'll had one, but I figgered there mite be one over at Keith's shop too. :wink: Still lookin' fer a pichur of the table where ya'll set at the end of the day ta figger out world problems 'n who will be the next quarterback at LSU. :mrgreen: We put chicken wire round the one that sets out by my folks garden. Osha dont know bout chicken wire.

regards 'n thanks
bearridge

I asked him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.' Frank Layden, Utah Jazz President

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Is that counter right?

Almost 7000 views on this thread !!!!

Good thing we never drift or get off subject or nobody would be interested.

Friend Keith and I don't really do any real deep thinking sitting around a table. I got this OFF switch in my behind and when I sit down I tend to go to sleep. Not sure we're capable of deep thoughts anyway. Most of our discussions end up in us fighting and we move out into the yard for that.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
7028 when I clicked on it , now it should be 7029 :D

Folks forget that we are a world wide web site and think of us a a chat room , we are both from the way it looks to me. :lol:

I haven't checked the amount of folks that click on southernpaddler but last year it was over 8 million. It scares me on what it would be now. One of these days I will find out since the account with the web counter expired and needs to be renewed.
Heck what the nut's , no matter how you look at it there is a ton of folks lurking and looking and some even sign on with this nutty crew.

Chuck.
PS. I guess it is the braver ones who sign on or just some fearless fools wanting to be relieved of the day to day stress.