New River Pics | SouthernPaddler.com

New River Pics

Deer Slayer

Sep 4, 2006
Last week's run on the New was great....a few pics

DSCI0327.jpg

Fishing at Fries

DSCI0347-1.jpg

20 miles, and a rain storm later we put in at Foster Falls having run the upper staircase. The New is now 6 feet above normal, and cranking at 8k CFS.

DSCI0337.jpg

The Mill Race at Foster...seldom runnable at low water

DSCI0340.jpg

Tent City

DSCI0344.jpg

Ernie drying out with the wet stuff... :lol:

Deer Slayer

Sep 4, 2006
The river is the New, located in NC, Va, and W.Va. Runs south to north. Rain a bit during the week, weather was cool, but comfortable making for easy paddling. As the volume was up, we were running at about 3 knots easy and making good time with little effort.

Should you get tired of the heat in your neck of the woods, portage that boat up. The Blue Ridges makes for a great get away...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_River_(Kanawha_River)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Deer Slayer said:
Should you get tired of the heat in your neck of the woods, portage that boat up. The Blue Ridges makes for a great get away...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_River_(Kanawha_River)

That's why there is a migration from down here to up there in the summer ( Myself included) , then in the fall you get the leaf peepers. Plus everyone I know down here for the last 50 years has moved or is planning on moving up there. :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
very nice.....thanks. It wuz 105 heat index today so them pichurs felt like Calamine lotion on poison ivy swells. I wish I had been on that run. The New iz long. Any really tricky stuff on that run? Where did ya'll put in 'n take out?

regards
bearridge

The avoidance of taxes is the only intellectual pursuit that carries any reward. John Maynard Keynes

Deer Slayer

Sep 4, 2006
We put in at the PBL near Bridal Creek, and take out at the Allisonia PBL, the start of Claytor lake (and miles of dead water).

The Bridal Creek to Independence section sees Penitentiary Shoals, Mountain Island, and the Molly Osborne. After the Molly is a low water bridge that's gotta be run River Right, else portage around.

Nothing for the Indenpendence to Baywood section, as well as the Baywood to the River PBL. From the River PBL to the town of Fries is an evil takeout, and a back breaking portage around the dam and into town.

From Fries to the New River campground you've got Double Shoals, a 2.5 mile Class II/III technical boulder garden with few eddies. Another miserable (but short) portage around another dam. Then a short paddle to Buck's rapids. The campground is below Buck's, and River Left.

Next up is a short paddle to another dam portage (again short). The put in below the dam is dicy as it's in the sluice way. Can get interesting. Sheeptown Rapids is next, nothing much really other then a minor pain known as the infamous Austinville pourover. Miss the break in the ledge, and the boats will start flipping... :roll: Then a 2 mile dead water paddle to the Shottower Rapids, sometimes technical, sometimes not, but always an easy II. Another dead water paddle (short) to Foster Falls (think staircase). We run the upper falls into the camp ground.

The last section, Foster to Allisonia starts off with completing the Falls, after that there really nothing of concern for the run into Allisonia.

Well, getting late, and tomorrow's Sunday gotta sign off, as it's back to work on the river shortly. Got 18 souls to float and watch over this coming week. Hopefully, we will have a little less rain this coming week. I'll post more pics when I get back in .