New to forum- building a wide jon boat | SouthernPaddler.com

New to forum- building a wide jon boat

captmike

Feb 16, 2011
Hello, i'm mew to the forum and just bought the jon boat plans from Don.

I plan to build a 12 foot long by 4 foot bottom with a front and rear deck and open in the middle. I plan to use ribs in the center area out of 1x2's and lay some kind of floor over them. I need a stable boat as light as possible. Also want to place pedestal seats w/ sockets on decks.

This is my first boat build. Plan to do some glassing wherever needed.

This will strictly be a trolling motor powered boat. Wondering what size plywood to use for the floor. How close to place the ribs, what size plywood for the decks. Thanks.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well your questions leave a lot to be desired about the use..... Rough water , deep water , quiet water , fresh water or salt water. All of them require a different build and I would guess the best person to ask is the designer.

Myself since I paddle and use boats in quiet water I can get by with thinner wood but I do glass encapsulate them with glass and epoxy and have the ribs where the stress points are on the boat. Glass on the inside , especially in the foot traffic areas will help to protect the area from wear and tear.

Sand and mud in fresh water will not wear on the bottom as bad as oyster shells and barnacles in the salt water.

This is the benefit of building your own boat , you build it for the area that you intend to use it in. Might call it a custom made boat for that area.

I'm sure you have some thoughts on that since you decided to make your own boat for your pleasure.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Welcome. Someone will respond with the correct answers for you. I have not built a jon boat but will one day. I would like to add some thoughts for you to consider.

Do the plans build the boat you want? They should state the size wood, number of ribs needed, deck and seat options, and the need for glass.
Adding flooring, decks, pedestal seats, etc. won't help you reach you goal of a light weight boat.
Neither ribs nor fiberglass may be needed if their absense is designed for.
Could you link us to the plans? It may help answer you specific questions.

Sounds like a fun boat.

beekeeper

lil'moe

Jan 8, 2009
Lapland, IA
I think my first look would be to Uncle John-I know he has a plan for a jon boat that may give you some pointers. Hope this helps