New to the forum... and first question for the experts. | SouthernPaddler.com

New to the forum... and first question for the experts.

fishfreek

Howdy, new member here from central Florida. Been lurking for a while figured I would join the fun.

I am having a new American Eagle 12' solo canoe built and looking for an appropriate double end paddle. I am 6' 2" and plan to build a canoe seat from the plans I ordered from Uncle John to use in this canoe. Any suggestions on length for a double paddle. Would a good kayak paddle be long enough? About the longest of those I find is 230 cm.

Thanks for the help :D

fishfreek

Jack, Thanks for the link. I was being nice and trying to butter some of you up with the use of EXPERT..... It doesn't go over very well if the new guy jumps in and says Howdy how are all the drips and dips today..... :lol:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
fishfreek said:
Jack, Thanks for the link. I was being nice and trying to butter some of you up with the use of EXPERT..... It doesn't go over very well if the new guy jumps in and says Howdy how are all the drips and dips today..... :lol:
That was a funny and honest answer. Welcome to you.
Bob

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Please keep in mind a departed friend's definition of an expert--"An expert is an idiot more than 50 miles from home." I am an expert on the subject of experts. :mrgreen: :roll:

bcwetcoast

Feb 11, 2012
BEARS BUDDY said:
Please keep in mind a departed friend's definition of an expert--"An expert is an idiot more than 50 miles from home." I am an expert on the subject of experts. :mrgreen: :roll:

I always knew it as "An expert is someone who lives 50 miles away and has slides (I guess now that would be powerpoint).

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
fishfreek said:
Howdy, new member here from central Florida. Been lurking for a while figured I would join the fun.

I am having a new American Eagle 12' solo canoe built and looking for an appropriate double end paddle. I am 6' 2" and plan to build a canoe seat from the plans I ordered from Uncle John to use in this canoe. Any suggestions on length for a double paddle. Would a good kayak paddle be long enough? About the longest of those I find is 230 cm.

Thanks for the help :D
One of you double paddle guys still needs to answer his question.
Bob

ezwater

Feb 22, 2011
Probably you'll be fine with what you bought. But it depends on whether you sit high or low, or kneel, and the width of your boat, and the style of the blades on your paddle.

I started out with a 96 inch (244 cm) Clement double blade, back in the 70s. The blades are short, about 20" long, curved, and symmetrical. I've always used it kneeling. I'm quite tall. The paddle works very well for canoes with beam around 30 inches, and a high angle paddling style. High angle means that during the paddle stroke, the shaft of the paddle is 45 degrees to the water, or steeper.

Later I bought a 240 cm Werner Camano, a well-regarded sea kayak design. But I didn't realize that the Camano is designed for low-angle paddling. The blades are long and narrow and asymmetrical. When I'm kneeling in my canoes, I can't use the low-angle paddling style (which I think is for sissies anyway) and with high-angle style, it's hard to get the entire Camano blade in the water, and it doesn't behave properly anyway.

If you have the money, Shaw & Tenney in New England makes a beautiful long canoe double blade. They'll make it for you in sassafrass, which is light and tough.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
There's actually a pretty good reason for paddling low angle - actually, two of them. Whenever you paddle with your elbows above your shoulders, you increase the chance of dislocating a shoulder. Not only does that hurt a lot, it's tough to reduce the injury by yourself. And, it's tough to paddle back home with that sore shoulder. And, once dislocated, it dislocates a bit easier the next time.

Just a thought.