NEW WIRE-SAW | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

NEW WIRE-SAW

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I didn't buy the chain saw for camping. I bought it for something to cut limbs too high for my pole saw. I want to throw a rope over a high limb and pull the saw into position then cut the limb. I tried this with the wire saw and it almost instantly got too hot and broke. This chain saw might be just the thing for what I need.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
The saw arrived today. I tried it out on a 1.75" Pecan limb I cut off the tree 2 weeks ago. The saw easily cut through the limb in less than 10 seconds. I like it!

Oh! Almost forgot. It comes with a canvas pouch about 4"x4". You can fit it almost anywhere.

Mike

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Back on the original wire saw. When I used mine on a dead limb (about 2" diameter) I put my foot on the limb, and tried to cut by pulling the saw up and down. The end of the saw in my hands were near each other. This meant the saw was wrapped around the other side of the branch, and was contacting it over, say, a length of about 4". As the saw bit in, it got to be more than I could pull handily. Had I been a really strong guy, I think it would have overheated the saw. Brute strength not being one of my characteristics (I run more to being smart and devastatingly handsome - as well as possessing extreme humbleness) I spread my arms a bit to lessen the saw's contact area around the wood. Much easier.

They show rigging it on the ends of a strong branch, cut to a length so the branch bows outward somewhat like a real buck saw. This would then have the saw contacting wood in a much smaller area, and allow to ride rather than being pulled down into the wood as it was the first time I cut with hands next to each other and blade wrapped around the branch. That would also prevent the overheating of both the blade AND the sawyer.

Ideally, you have another guy pulling on the other end, like a real misery whip cross-cut saw. Keeping the saw stretched nearly straight automatically gives the right contact, straight across a piece of wood instead of around it. Also allows changing cutting angle to reduce the actual cutting face within the wood.

hairymick01

I just bought one of these a couple of months ago

http://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/ ... S-250.aspx

and taken it camping a couple of times now. A superb little saw, easy to start, plenty of power and nice and lite. So much better than my old Stihl 094 that was like swinging a 25hp outboard around.

Guys, unless hiking, I wouldn't bother with a little pocket thingy and would take a real saw. Even the chinese imitation Stihls on ebay are a better option in my opinion.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mick, I think you've gotten used to camping with a truck and trailer? I'm doing it in a canoe or kayak, and have to portage a dam or two. We take one saw per group. Everybody doesn't need a saw. I usually just kick the damned wood and break it in two, not caring if edges are square cut or broken jagged.

I think that Stihl invented the chain saw. I know we used to sell them in Dad's store.

bcwetcoast

Feb 11, 2012
Kayak Jack said:
Back on the original wire saw. When I used mine on a dead limb (about 2" diameter) I put my foot on the limb, and tried to cut by pulling the saw up and down. The end of the saw in my hands were near each other. This meant the saw was wrapped around the other side of the branch, and was contacting it over, say, a length of about 4". As the saw bit in, it got to be more than I could pull handily. Had I been a really strong guy, I think it would have overheated the saw. Brute strength not being one of my characteristics (I run more to being smart and devastatingly handsome - as well as possessing extreme humbleness) I spread my arms a bit to lessen the saw's contact area around the wood. Much easier.

They show rigging it on the ends of a strong branch, cut to a length so the branch bows outward somewhat like a real buck saw. This would then have the saw contacting wood in a much smaller area, and allow to ride rather than being pulled down into the wood as it was the first time I cut with hands next to each other and blade wrapped around the branch. That would also prevent the overheating of both the blade AND the sawyer.

Ideally, you have another guy pulling on the other end, like a real misery whip cross-cut saw. Keeping the saw stretched nearly straight automatically gives the right contact, straight across a piece of wood instead of around it. Also allows changing cutting angle to reduce the actual cutting face within the wood.

Jack

The problem with this method was the bending of the wire. Tight bends like that will heat up the wire. On our ropes at work, we try to keep the bending ratio of the rope over a branch or a pulley to at least 4x the diameter of the rope. The larger the diameter the less friction, easier to pull the rope.

bcwetcoast

Feb 11, 2012
mike said:
The saw arrived today. I tried it out on a 1.75" Pecan limb I cut off the tree 2 weeks ago. The saw easily cut through the limb in less than 10 seconds. I like it!

Oh! Almost forgot. It comes with a canvas pouch about 4"x4". You can fit it almost anywhere.

Mike

As an arborist, it pains me to hear you talking about pruning this way. There is no way you can make proper cuts using a saw like this. Most pros have difficulty making proper cuts with a pole saw especially at the limit of the tool, they would rather climb.

hairymick01

Jack,

Portage? PORTAGE? PORTAGE?

Wash ya mouth out with soap mate. Canoes are made to carry us, not the other way around. A good chainsaw beats the hell out of doing this :-

ImbilW80029.jpg

When one can easil give the washdowns a little haircut and simply walk the boat through like this.

ImbilW80020.jpg

If ya boat isn't big enough to carry a saw, ya need a bigger boat. :mrgreen:

Roger

Nov 20, 2011
Far South Coast NSW Australia
Dont you just love it. Paddling through the wilderness. The gentle sound of water lapping up against the side of the boat. The melodious tweet and chirp from nearby birds and the occasional kaplunk as a mullet leaps out of the water. All of this topped off by the wonderful roar of a chainsaw in the background. Ah! the beauty of nature.
PS I was bushwalking in the back of nowhere once and I could here the noise of a chain saw nearby. I couldn't imagine that there could be anyone using one in the area but when I checked it out I discovered it was actually a lyrebird. Sure did sound realistic.

Roger

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mick, I like your sense of humor. Actually, I let other guys do the chain sawing on rivers. They're called "canoe livery owners". Most rivers here are pretty typical of each other, so paddling one is similar to others. EXCEPT - where ther are cleared by the liveries. So, I can paddle one or two nice, clear rivers, take pictures, and put most any river name on them I care to.

No crocs, no pythons, no water moccasins, etc. Just clear water where paddlers can see bottom, with salmon and trout lazing along.

Portage is just a way to get from one piece of paradise to the next. Kinda like having to drive from home to the put in.

hairymick01

G'day Roger, LOL I just love the sound of a howling two stroke, first thing in the morning :mrgreen: 'specially when I'm the one swinging it round, turning perfectly good strainers into paddle paths. After the floods here a while ago, all the paddle trails were full of strainers - mostly hardwood. The tree I was chopping was a Terpentine tree, very hard to cut and on me and the axe.

Jack, we don't have canoe liveries here and certainly no one who goes clearing paddle trails - except the paddlers themselves.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick01 said:
Jack, we don't have canoe liveries here and certainly no one who goes clearing paddle trails - except the paddlers themselves.

Mick , it is about the same story around here. The outfitters will tell you the river is clear and you can run a Jon boat up it. Then when you drop the canoe in and start down stream the dam thing is choked off with all sorts of strainers , logs and blow downs.

On a lot of trips the guy's have mutter that we should of brought a chain saw with us so we could paddle the river and not drag the boats over all sorts of things.