New Years Day meal.........Southern Style. | SouthernPaddler.com

New Years Day meal.........Southern Style.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
New Years Day.........Southern Style.

Don't forget folks there is one traditional meal to have on that day and it aint that bad the rest of the year. Makes a good camping meal , easy to make and is darn good.

1. Ham , ( diced up ) the amount is the cooks choice.
2. Black eye Peas , again the cooks choice but the more the merrier.
3. Rice to fill out the recipe. You guessed it , Cooks choice. :lol:

Slow cook everything or do them separately and then mix them all together in one container for the meal. I like to add some snap beans ( green beans for Yankees ) diced up celery and some onion with a few spices like Cayenne.

When served , some corn bread and honey on the side with a tall glass of ice tea.

Chuck.
PS. They say the amount of rice indicates the amount of money you will get , some folks use way to much rice. :roll:

JEM

It's gumbo in our house.

Browned my flour tonight already for a "low fat" roux. Was easy to do and has a nice camp-fire nutty flavor.

My first shot at gumbo was following the guidance of our very own Piper in his book viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8155&hilit=piper+book

It was good but I think a messed up on the roux. Plus I wanted to try the flour "browning" instead of frying in an oil/butter/fat base. Read up on different gumbos. This website has some great info: http://www.gumbopages.com/food/gumbo.html

I used to make jambalaya every new years day (not sure why but one year it started a tradition) but I think a good gumbo will be a more popular replacement in our house.

Decent crab for a reasonable price is hard to come by for another month or so around here. So my gumbo will be chicken, shrimp, and andouille sausage. Already tested out the rice cooker I got for Christmas and can't wait until it's time to eat tomorrow! :D

islandpiper

Matt, it's gumbo here, made it all tonight and it will sit in the fridge and be even better warmed up tomorrow with fresh hot bread and potato salad and rice, etc.

This time it was chicken, cajun sausage, ham and a ham bone and shrimp. Ya boy, that Gersham figured out the gumbo, didn't he?

piper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
today we're cooking beef - boneless chuck roast

mostly - for me anyway - grillades were strips of pork, trimmings from the boucherie that were quick and easy to cook and fed the folks helping and the other hangers around.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I'm making a catfish coo-bee-yon (court bouillon) today.

I just add stuff until it's right, but here's a recipe I took from L'Acadie Inn if anyone wants to make one. Or, just Google "Cajun Court Bouillon". It's differnet than the French stuff, so be sure to get Cajun.

Catfish Courtbouillon (Coo-bee-yon)

roux (see recipe below)
2 onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1- 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar( cuts bitter taste from tomato)
4 lbs. catfish cut into steaks or 4 inch pieces
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
seasoning
1/8 cup green onions, chopped
1/8 cup parsley, chopped

Once roux is made, remove from heat. Add vegetables and tomato sauce, stirring until it quits sizzling. Return to heat for a few more minutes and then add water (about 3-4 cups) & lemon juice. Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and cook for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season fish and add to the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir gently to avoid breaking up the fish (or pick up the handle and turn side-to side). Add green onions and parsley. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Serve with rice.

roux

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup oil

In a small black iron Dutch oven, heat the oil. Gradually add flour, stirring constantly. Lower heat while continuing to stir. Flour will begin to darken. Do not leave pot unattended! Roux should be the color of milk chocolate.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
Baked salmon, raw fried potatoes w/onions, chocolate wine.

How can fried potatos be raw?

Seams to me, if they are fried , they are no longer RAW. Perhaps that is another of them northern things, like not liking grits.

Perchance an unintended oxymoron. :roll: [here we go again]

Splain yourself Jack.

islandpiper

Ya....dem Norskies......

You can par-boil, or nuke a whole potato , then chunk it up to fry it. Or, you can chunk up RAW potatoes and fry them. Different thing, different result.

Further, the white russetts you get up north cook different in the fall when they are new than they do after they have sat in the warehouse or the cellar all winter. The starch/sugar ratio changes. So, the cooked product changes, too.

If you had ever spent a winter with about five pounds of bacon and a 100-pound sack of spuds you could figure out all sorts of ways to cook them, just for variety.

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Sorry, I haven't had my frontal lobotomy, so I'm not a real southerner yet. :wink: Piper San has it right, as that sneaky Baldy already knew, you start with raw potatoes.

As a side note, if carrying potatoes camping, I sometimes will nuke a potato only a couple minutes. It partially cooks it, makes it softer and more resilient to getting bruised in getting tossed around inside a dry bag, and they cook up a bit quicker over the fire in camp.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Jack, your spud is done

670x420_atomska_bomba_eksplozija2a.jpg