Newbie w/???s here & Y'all done flang'd a cravin' on me! | SouthernPaddler.com

Newbie w/???s here & Y'all done flang'd a cravin' on me!

A

Anonymous

First post here! Been thinkin' of building a light pirogue for poking around in the ponds, small lakes and what they call "rivers" (glorified drainage ditches) around here in north Missouri. So, was looking on the net for plans and found this forum a few days ago.

I was planning on just slapping one together and painting it inside and out with something drab and utilitarian, but after seeing the beautiful, clear finished works of art here and on some builder's sites, I GOTTA have a purty boat.

Up here on the tallgrass prairie, there hain't nowhere to get marine plywood, but I'm not against driving a few hundred miles down to St. Louis or Kansas City to get it, if it's worth it.

But I can get two different versions of moisture resistant 1/4" luan plywood: one is three plys and the other has a paper-thin veneer on each face with three plys in between. Which one would be better for boat building? The plain three-ply version is more expensive ($18 vs $9 per sheet), but appears to have lots less internal voids.

I've read y'all talking about 1/8" plywood. Is that available in luan or marine only?

I'm a big ole' boy (about 260 lbs, somewhat in the lard-a$$ category, but still got a lotta muscle in the right places) and will often have my dawg (about 100lbs) or my wife (about 130 lbs) along with me (depending on who I'm gettin' along with best at the time (uh... that'll mean it'll usually be th' dawg)). So I rectum the pirogue will haff to be a big 'un: close to 16 ft long and around 3 ft wide. Probably will have to have some internal ribs, like the Uncle John's designs, except add one or two more ribs (although I love the looks of that Cajun Secret sneakboat, which is ribless). What kind of plywood do y'all recommend, considering the size and loads I'm talking about?

I also like the looks of that JEM Touring Pirogue, if I made it a little longer, about 6" or 7" wider, and maybe a tad deeper.

What do y'all think? Any advise or recommendations will be appreciated.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Bo'

Welcome to the dark side mate. 'Course ya know once you start building, one boat will NEVER be enough. :D

The Unchle Johns piroges are beautiful little things. Quick and easy to make as they are, and not too difficult to modify to suit your needs. To make one as big as you mention however, you will need 3 sheeds of ply, instead of two.

Standard UJ pirogue is 24" across the bottom and 12" sides divides up nicely into just two sheets of ply. To go wider, and still keep 12" sides, you will need an extra sheet.

Someone here will correct me if I am wrong, but I think they will hold about 500 pounds.

The Touring Pirogue from Jem is also a beautiful boat. (I built the prototype) There is a little more work in mark out and build methodology etc. but still a quick, easy build and I tell you mate, I love mine. I just can't imagine my shed without at least, one pirogue in it.

I would suggest you have a look at this one. This will easily carry all you want and then some. Also, another quick, easy build and the plans are only 10 bucks. Cheap as dirt.

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... Pirogue500

Zeb

Dec 18, 2006
Co.Durham England
Hi Bo
Like Mick says the 500 sounds like the boat fot You.
I built one for my first go and had a lot of fun,She easily takes two adults and a child but is also a good solo boat too....win-win :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
BO

Some of the guys have widen there pirogues and the standard one is 15 1/2 feet , with the load you want to put in her I would suggest the 1/4 inch ply and especially since this is your 1st build. The thinner wood works out nicely but is harder to work with and an understanding of the building process helps with the thinner wood. For that reason I suggest the 1/4 inch wood for the 1st boat.

You can build them they way you want them , I stretched one out to 18 feet.

I have found that when someone builds one of them they usually end up making a few more. If this would happen then the wife can paddle one ... or the Pups while the remaining passenger goes with you.

I am sure some of the guys who have widen them will join in the conversation and tell you how they made theres. :D

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Thanks!

I'll definitely stick with the 1/4" ply as y'all suggest. Been looking at the Pirogue 500, but still love the looks of that Cruising Pirogue.

In the meantime, I've been reading on here and trying to get more educated. But I've also come to the realization that I'm gonna have to do some major rearranging of the basement to have enough room to build one. Don't have any other shed, garage or carport to use, and the crazy north Missouri weather makes it not good to try to build outside.

Also, I've heard about an epoxy that supposedly doesn't have any smell while wet and curing. Any of y'all heard of it? Any truth to it?

That would sure make it easier on me. The wife fusses when I start one of my "stinky" projects in the basement, even something as simple as rebuilding a lawn mower.

BTW, had to re-register due to a glitch on the forum, so decided to simplify my user name some.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: Thanks!

Boweevil said:
BTW, had to re-register due to a glitch on the forum, so decided to simplify my user name some.

That is what has me floored , it let you post as a guest and it is set so a person has to be a member to do that. I'm thinking the computer was napping and then noticed the mistake and zapped you. Causing all of the problems for both of us , computers ya just have to love them :twisted:

Anyway we worked it out and things are back as normal as they can be on here , which is not really normal at any call. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Weevil,

Epoxy had almost no smell at all. You do, though, want to ventilate the area whilst it's curing so the fumes go outside, or at least outside air is mixing in and taking out inside air. If your dryer has a setting for no heat, just unheated air, and you open a window or door in the basement, it will bring in air from the outside and vent it back out again, serving as a vent fan.

Does your basement have an exit (walkout door or slider at grade level) to get a fully assembled boat back out of?

If you have pilot lights in the basement: IE: gas fired furnace, water heater, dryer, etc.) do NOT open any solvents down there. Could be an explosively nasty surprise.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the warning about the pilot lights. I've got a boiler and Warm Morning heater down there that have standing pilots. Don't wanna launch the house into orbit.....

The house has a walkout basement and a big double door down there, so getting in or out is not problem.

I Googled on "marine plywood" and found a site that had a nationwide list of places to get boatbuilding supplies: http://www.glen-l.com/resources/lumber-suppliers.html. And on that list I found a place in DesMoines, Iowa, about 3 hours from here that carries the good Okoume BS-1088 plywood (both the Chinese stuff and the French stuff with the Lloyds registration), MAS epoxies, Epifanes paint and varnish, and all kinds of other good stuff. Here's a link to their site: http://63.227.79.155/cedartreeinc/index.html. I called them and talked to Marge and she was very nice and helpful.

What do y'all think of MAS epoxies?

Also, Jack, I've been accused of the same thing, but I just can't understand it; I can still smell just fine....

JEM

MAS is a premium brand epoxy and is ultra nice to work with. Kicker is it's also premium priced.

Check out Noah's marine www.noahsmarine.com if your price comparing. They stock MAS as well as other epoxy brands. I believe there is still a 5% JEM Watercraft customer (I think you bought the P-500 plans from me) discount standing there. Call and talk to Jason about it.

Of course there is value in buying from a bricks-and-mortar building. But it's nice to have options.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
BEARS BUDDY said:
Jack gives us a FFZ (free fire zone) and I am speechless. Where is the justice?

I agree , there is a rotten fish in the wood pile , I can smell it , Has to be a trap of some sort. Only a person with a devious mind can lay a foundation like that but it is so obvious no one will step in it.

Be almost like sitting on the hull of a freshly epoxed boat , all messy and stuck.

Back to the thought on this post ... For what it is worth department I have found and like the 2 to 1 mix on the epoxy , makes it easy and quick when mixing them.

Chuck.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
I have been using WEST system because it is locally available. If I have time I order other supplies from Raka. Great service and reasonable prices.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
BEARS BUDDY said:

I agree , there is a rotten fish in the wood pile , I can smell it , Has to be a trap of some sort. Only a person with a devious mind can lay a foundation like that but it is so obvious no one will step in it....
I figured the complicated double entendre would fend you guys off pretty well.

A

Anonymous

BEARS BUDDY wrote:

I agree , there is a rotten fish in the wood pile , I can smell it , Has to be a trap of some sort. Only a person with a devious mind can lay a foundation like that but it is so obvious no one will step in it.

Verily something stanketh!! He be sandbaggin'.