Newbie With UJ questions | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Newbie With UJ questions

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
BlueGill said:
...I asked about smell of the resin because I have developed a sensitivity to strong noxious fumes. Luckily is not an issue....
John

Exposure to epoxy can have a cumulative effect and you can develop an allergy to it as time goes by.

You can protect yourself by,

-wearing disposable gloves faithfully (try not to ever get the stuff on your skin to start with).

-cleaning up with soap and water, NOT solvents. Talking about your skin here, not the boat. Sometimes you need acetone to clean your work or your tools, but don't use it to clean your skin.

-being careful as possible about breathing the sanding dust or getting it all over you. (I try to wet sand as much as possible, and use a respirator when I have to power sand).

Here is a West Systems link on health issues: http://www.westsystem.com/ss/health-effects-from-overexposure-to-epoxy/

Not trying to be alarmist here. I have never had a problem with the stuff. Most others don't have problems either. But like any chemical, you can save yourself some trouble by not being too casual about it.

When you wrote that you had "...developed a sensitivity to strong noxious fumes" it kind of made me think.

GB

BlueGill

May 16, 2013
Tallahassee, Fl
thanks for the links. I've been diligent about exposure. I also am refinishing an old mandolin and whil sanding I was reluctant to breathe the dust, especially with the old varnish in it so used wet sanding and a mask when it was dry sanding. Good points

Ok, I'm ready to put the rub boards on but can't find 14 footers. Will it work to do a scarf joint there and screw and glue it all together at the same time? or keep looking or a 14 foot board?

BlueGill

May 16, 2013
Tallahassee, Fl
Well I took a business trip to Oregon during which I did some great work and sampled some single malt. Now I'm back home.

I got 16 foot boards for my rub boards and have screwed and glued one on. Will probably do the other tonight. Then I'll flip it and do the bottom before I take the sander and dress it up nice. Probably Sunday afternoon. The temperature is nearing 100 so that will be a great time to spend in the garage!

I've made a few mistakes and miscalculations but none that aren't manageable. I tried a scarf joint in a board for the rub board but it just don't bend like a real board so I went to Capital City Lumber and they had just what I need. I think I'll shop there from now on, rather than the big box.

It's really starting looking like a Boat Shaped Object.

Other than that. nothing to report other than the fact that single malt is so much more deliciously complex and flavorful than blended.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
When it goes from a flat pile of wood to a 3D shape, you really start to feel like you've done something! :D

It seems to me that if you have to scarf a rub rail, it's best to avoid the middle where most of the "bend" is. I try to keep it nearer the ends. And I'd give the scarf joint a good 24 hours before bending it into place. If you can find long enough pieces, they'll always be your best bet. Might have to rip them out of wider stock, but still worth it.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

BlueGill

May 16, 2013
Tallahassee, Fl
I had 8 foot pieces and so to avoid the middle where it curves, and to avoid having the scarf where the side board scarf joint is, I would have had to have 2 scarfs per rub board. Once I did it and tried the bend, I just was not satisfied.

Which is what drove me to a locally owned, contractor centered real old fashioned lumber yard, which is where i should have gone in the first place.

you're right. I got up at two this morning for a drink of water and stood in the garage door just marveling at what is taking shape from a stack of lumber. It's good to get back to the roots

thanks all

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you cover the joint with some fiberglass and epoxy you will not have any problems with them being in the center of the boat.
All of mine were butt joints and at the center. I covered them with about a 4 inch piece of glass the full width of the board ( 12 inches ) on the outside and inside. Then when the sides were together and the ends on I put the center rib right over the joint. :D

Chuck..........
PS. I tried scarf joints and they keep breaking on me so all of my pirogue's and the rest of the boats have been built with butt joints. The joint's are really covered with a double layer of glass. One layer when being assembled and then a final layer when the whole boat is glassed.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Cover scarf joints with glass? Chuck, I think you are talking about joints in the plywood. And from a "belt & suspenders" approach, that makes perfect sense. But When it comes to the rub rails and gunnels, I'd rather not cover them with anything but paint or varnish.

Particularly the rub rail, as it is subject to getting dinged up and is much easier to repair/replace if it isn't under a layer of glass.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BlueGill said:
hat was my next step but since I found 16 foot boards, I didn't have to. thanks
Well . . . . . . you could cut those 16' boards and reassemble them. :wink:
Actually, when needed, a butt joint with fiber glass reinforcement on both sides works well. They are a bit touchy to handle until cure is pretty well along, but carefulness counts a bit extra here.

BlueGill

May 16, 2013
Tallahassee, Fl
Oh there is no special story. I enjoy fishing although not often or well. I was once an active member of a blues music online community and combined my love for the blues with fishing and came up with 'BlueGill'.

I also have used DocJohn but since my pirogue is aimed to be a fishing vessel, i decided on bluegill for here. You can call me anything but hopefully don't call me late to supper.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
BlueGill,

So then, if you tell us about taking your axe to your boat, that would mean you decided to make some music on the water, not do some violence to a pirogue?
That's good to know. :D

Blues and fishing are a natural combination!
"Wrong bait, wrong place, wrong time of day, just out on the water, wasting my time away. . . "

Amen Brother, I feel your pain! 8)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

BlueGill

May 16, 2013
Tallahassee, Fl
I've been restoring an old abused mandolin as i'm also building this boat. Maybe they will travel together.

Going to cut the bottom out tomorrow night. Makes me nervous but i've measured twice so hopefully will be ok