Next question, new build, Fillet filler | SouthernPaddler.com

Next question, new build, Fillet filler

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Hey Folks,
Next question. Wanted to try something a bit easier to sand than the pine flour I used on the pirogue last year as I have 10 seams to fillet this time rather than two :shock:

Picked up some phenolic microballons from Raka planning to use them on the fillets but now I'm reading that they shouldn't be used for structural fillets in more than a 25% concentration as they are not as strong as the wod flour or other fillers.
Opinions?

Thanks
Brad

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Swamprat,

i don't know about the micro-balloons but with the wood flour, What worked for me, was that after I had applied the wood flour fillets, I waited till it was just starting to go off, then mix a small amount of plain epoxy & hardener and apply it over the fillet with the tip of my finger tp smooth it out. Came up allmost like glass and required very little sanding.

Hope this helps mate.

JEM

Pine woodflour is about the friendliest filler you'll find. I use some mahogany woodflour and that worked very good for sanding.

But Mick is right...try and do all your smoothing and cleaning up of excess goop before it fully cures. Save yourself lots of time.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Thanks guys,
The only place I really ran into trouble last year with the pirogue was up in the stems where you can't get in there with the sander and thats also where I pushed a batch of epoxy a bit and let it go off before I dumped it. so I have several little areas there that are kind of ugly. Guess I'll use the phenolic microballons to fill in wire tie holes with and stay with the pine flour for the seams.

Thanks again!

Biloxi Bacon

Jun 11, 2006
islandpiper said:
a stainless steel spoon is the best inside cornering tool

Sounds like a good idea. Gets the nod. :)

I'd thought buying a box of tongue depressors (~$10) for mixing and using them also for tooling the radius on those inside fillets. I'll surely try the spoons. Shoot, might even be able to steal a couple outa the kitchen.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you epoxy saturate the wood on each side of the seam and let it dry, then sand it very lightly to get rid of the whiskers or fine wood particles that stick up and are hard.

After that is done then lay down some masking tape what ever distance from the seam that you like and fillet the seam. When the fillet is almost cured ( still stickey but not runny ) then pull the tape and you will have a straight edge and uniformed fillets in the boat.
If there are some large gaps in the seams then tape the out side of the seams to stop the fillet from making some hard ridges on the outside of your boat. ( Lots of sanding if you don't do that) :twisted:

DO NOT hold off or get distracted before the tape is pulled or you will have a lot of work to do...........

Chuck.

islandpiper

Hey Biloxi Bacon, you are just down the road a little. Next time you get over here near Hammond La drop me a line and we can get together and tell lies about how many boats we've built!! :lol: hope things ae getting better for you all over that wy. I was in Biloxi at Christmas.....my oh my. we are rooting for you buddy.

Biloxi Bacon

Jun 11, 2006
islandpiper,

Things are much, much better than they were when you were here at Christmas. Still whacked-out, though. Appreciate the concern.

Hey, when I was a youngster (in my 20's) a group of us made several trips down the Tangipahoa. It felt like great adventure. Loved that river!

When I get over that way, I'll certainly give a shout.

Joe