night time | SouthernPaddler.com

night time

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Have any of you fish at night in a pirogue? I want to do some night fishing. I'm mostly worried about stability and falling into cold deep water in the dark .

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Better think about lights, too, unless you are going where there are absolutely positively no powerboats.

I haven't ever tried it, in answer to your original question.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Yeah, I have a headlamp from my backpacking days. Coast Guard requires a 360 white light. That should be easy enough to mount.

I want to catch big fish. It seems night time will be the best way to go. It's not too bad because I work nights anyway.

I though of outrigging the pirogue to add stability. I never go far from the boat docks anyway. It's just that if I hook one of these 20lbs+ cats don't want to be going for a swim.

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
This is what it says in Tn.'s book.

Sailing Vessels & Vessels Under Oars
A sailing vessel, under sail alone, shall exhibit the lights shown on figure 4, 5 or 6. A vessel under oars or a sailing vessel of less than 7 meters (22 ft. 10 in.) shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in figure 4, 5 or 6. However, if she does not, she must have ready at hand an electric light or lighted lantern showing a white light as seen in figure 7 which must be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collisions.
Anchored vessels must show the appropriate anchor lights.

I have a cheep (from Wally World) set of battery powered clamp on bow and stern lights that I clamp on to the bresthooks of my canoe.

Richard