north and south potato salad | SouthernPaddler.com

north and south potato salad

islandpiper

NORTHERN POTATO SALAD

Figure one good size white potato for each person. Wash and peel these and cut into halves. Drop them in a pot, cover with water and ad a nice pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Don’t cook too long, just until they are soft enough to push a fork into, and then pour off the hot water and add cold water. That 36 degree tap water will cool them off pretty fast, but it may take two changes to do it.

Drain the cooked spuds and slice into fat slices about the size of a quarter.

Chop a white onion into thick slices and quarter them, and add them to the potatoes. A little chopped celery is nice if you have it.

Add enough plain mayo or salad-dressing to coat the potatoes when you stir it all up. Make it really fancy with a little pepper on top.

SOUTHERN POTATO SALAD

Start with one potato per person plus one for the table and peel them about 90% leaving just a little skin on in spots. Cube these potatoes into 1/2â€

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fer my Yankee pals,

Good mayo means Miracle Whip. We use a heap a salt 'n sweet pickle relish beats a lovin' spoonful of sugar 6 days a week 'n twice on Sunday. :lol:

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

ps I wont stick my nose inta ever recipe jest ta tell ya'll I put Zatarains in it. I reckon ya'll know that by now. :roll:

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence - economic, political, even spiritual - is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. Dwight D. Eisenhower

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mebbe yer rite. Back durin' the War of Northern Aggression, at the end of the day.....after the killin' there wuz a heap a vittles swapped. I figger there wuz a heap a "...hey Bubba, hole my rat sammich 'n watch this....". Most of what our guys tried wuz tasty.....cept fer the pot roast. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Even in America, too many Democrats take it as read that the natural destination of an advanced Western Democracy is Scandinavia. If it is, we're all doomed. Mark Steyn

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
islandpiper said:
Mayo is Blue Bell. Piper

Never heard of a mayonaise referred to as ice-cream, but heck I ain't been 'round for too long.

Now, take that southern tater salad recipe and add a Luzianna touch, boil your taters with a tiny bit of liquid crabboil (I prefer Zatarain's). Or, use the ones you got left over after a crawfish, shrimp, or crab boil.