Northern Forest Canoe Trail | SouthernPaddler.com

Northern Forest Canoe Trail

A

Anonymous

NFCT

Just know what the site states.

From the looks of it, re-supply will not be that difficult until ya get into Maine,which has the most miles. Campsites and portages well marked. Enough towns to break up the trip. What more could you ask ?

I am building my canoe just in the hope of doing "parts" of the trail.
I have in and outalws all over the Northeast, so getting to and from
different parts should be fairly easy.

Time will tell.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
By God Johnny,

Yer a paddlin' son of a gun. Why dont ya take one of them blueberries 'n send us a line ever now 'n then....jest so we kin hear bout paddlin' trips? Mebbe ya kin take pichurs 'n send 'em here?

Dont send no pichurs of canoe totin'.....reminds me of those chain saw races 'n the old army dentist in my hometown who didnt use no "caine".
069.gif

good luck
bearridge

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
John,

I'd been contemplating a shorter trip along the western end of it. Gathered some info. I'll email you some maps, and (after I get my lazy self over to get a new color printer cartridge) will print off some topos & mail them to you.

For my purposes, I abandoned the plans because I can do similar or better trips closer to home (East Lansing MI).

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
Maps, portages, etc

Jack - thanks for the maps. I appreciate it.

If, and that's a BIG IF, I actually do this thing it'll be 2008 at the earliest. And IF I do this trip I'm sure as hell taking a paddle cart. I'd also do the ultralight thing like we do with backpacking and have maybe 20 lbs of gear and food at any one time (not including PFD, paddles, etc)

Lots of big ifs, and I haven't decided anything for sure right now. I need to get my paddling chops up for some of the whitewater sections and learn how to really pole my way though.

Still.......

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yeah, a canoe cart would be a good idea. Maybe one with a V-8 engine attached?

I recommend that you go to http://www.expertgps.com/ and subscribe to Xpert-GPS you get ALL topo maps for the CONUS for life for about $75. When I look at the topos, you see the portage routes and all. MUCH shoulder time for our boat. Good thing is, mildew won't be encouraged on the boat. :lol:

My other map source is DeLorme Street Atlas. Don't let that "street" label fool you. It shows waterways down to and including intermittent streams, and roads down to 4-wheel drive paths and some single trackers. Also shows places to eat, sleep, get an adult beverage, mileages, routing, police & medical facilities, etc. I like to put tags on my maps indicating the police & medical facilities - and then hope it's a waste of my time. But - if an emergency occurs, I'm already partly prepared.

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
Set of maps

I too am (vaguely) considering a paddle of the 740 mile trail, perhaps late this summer. As you probably know, the NFCT held it’s Second Annual Fund Raising Auction earlier this month. I was the winning bidder for the complete set of 13 maps, along with a first edition of the book, “Paddling Through Timeâ€Â

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
I read that article, and have hit most of the pages on the site. I agree with the map purchase hint, and once I get closer to making a decision to actually do this I'll pull the trigger on it. We have alot on our plate for the forseeable future, so this is on the back burner for now. It's still on the stovetop though, possibly for either 2008-or 09. I'm damn sure doing "something" in 2010, but that something might be taking a year off to build a house.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
John,

I may have had a change of heart. Was looking at that area for September 08. Thought better of it. May be persuaded to go along if a partner interests you.

If you prefer to not have outsiders, I understand and have no ill feelings. Just a thought.

HINT: I'm not as pretty as your lady, but can snore in either popular or classical music modes.

HINT# 2: Don't believe anything that Old Spare Key or Oldyaker tell you about me.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack is a perfect Gentleman. He doesn't snore, doesn't flatulate, and he don't smell bad either!
Kayak Jack said:
John,HINT# 2: Don't believe anything that Old Spare Key or Oldyaker tell you about me.

Looked at NFCT my ownself. Would like to do a portion. Time is my only obstacle. :(

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
It is a helluva drive.........will keep this one on my radar. At worst......we could meet in Erie and caravan. Bing Crosby and Bob Hope Road Trip.
Road to New England

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
Jack,
I have not really given this trip much thought, as yet. I have a busy Winter ahead:
Jan. 14th - 8 day dog sled trip in the BWCA
Jan. 27th - fly to St. Maarten Island for a 1 week stay
Feb. 3rd - Board a wooden three masted clipper ship, with 32 passangers who help crew, and sail for 8 leisurely days to Puerto Rico
Feb. 10th - arrive Puerto Rico with no specific plan, or return flight ticket. Will just rent a car for 30 days and play it by ear. I do want to camp on Culebra Island and in El Yunque rain forest, for which I am packing my Hennessey Hammock. Also plan a night paddle in the bio-luminescent bay. If anyone knows of other "must see" locations in PR, I am open for suggestions.

Will probably return to NJ middle of March.

Early thoughts on paddling the NFCT (if I decide to go) would be to launch sometime late July, early August, to complete the trip before it gets too cold in Maine. Only other thought was to be on the lookout for a new canoe - river tripper type - to better handle the rapids.

John Depa

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
John

I was wondering when you would get time to do the paddle in the NFCT knowing what you have on your plate at this time. Besides I would expect you to be back in the BWCA so the lake could ice up and let you use your canoe as an icebreaker ......... AGAIN.

OK .. I see your logic ..... Do the dog sled this year so you have a running knowledge of how it is done and then later if things ice up turn your canoe into a dog sled ....... This leads to the next question....

Up there paddling and things turn solid , where are you going to find the dogs ? Sorry but I had to ask .. Ha Ha Ha

Happy New Year.........

Chuck.

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
Chuck,
If you look on the reverse side on the Southernpaddler.com T-shirt, you will notice a moose - symbol of the North Country. Should be no problem hitching up to one of them to pull my canoe across the ice.

John