Not a paddle craft but still boat building. | SouthernPaddler.com

Not a paddle craft but still boat building.

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
Chuck sorry this isnt a paddle craft but its still boat building hope you dont mind me borrowing the expertise on your forum.

First a lil background......

I'm rebuilding, almost from ground up, a small speedboat that had a lot of problems when I aquired it. There was only 1 seam on the entire boat that was taped and otherwise no other fiberglass was applied. I've had to tear the decking off and completely strip back to bare wood the rest of the entire boat. I've also replaced the back corners on the side from wood that was rotted beyond repair. I've completely redone the entire hull now including glassing the whole bottom of the hull. And now i'm working on the top deck. I've redesigned the deck that was flat and put some curve into it.

I've got the decking on and i'm using dookie schmootz to smooth seams and dimples where i've used brass screws to aid in holding the deck in place while the epoxy was drying.

My question is, should I completely finish smoothing the deck before applying the fiberglass or should I fiberglass now that its smooth enough to do so and finish smoothing the dimples with dookie schmootz after the glass has been applied? Its currently smooth enough to apply glass succcessfully, but will require more filler to give a smooth final finish.
deck10.jpg

deck11.jpg

deck12.jpg

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
that red 35 your looking at is a 1957 model and is the motor for this boat. It runs like a champ. Last time out I pulled 43 mph before I spun the hub on the prop. Took in about 2 gallons of water in the 20 min I was out which is why I tore the boat down to nothing to start over. :) The one behind it is the newest of 7 outboards I have and is a 1978. I'm kinda a fan of the older equipment that doesnt seem to break as easy as the newer stuff.

yep jack its a 2 seater alright. 11' long and about 5' wide at the widest point.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Wimperdink,

Mate I would do as much prep work on your timber as is needed before you apply the resin. it is a lot asier to sand than the fibreglass.

Looks like a real nice little boat BTW.

Your Johnno 25 is the same vintage as the 30 I have on a 13 footer here.
Great motors. Mine has ben running in salt all these years and is still going strong. Very little corrosion and the engine is as strong and solid as when it was new. Gotta be happy with that. :D

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
hairymick said:
Heya Wimperdink,

Mate I would do as much prep work on your timber as is needed before you apply the resin. it is a lot asier to sand than the fibreglass.

Looks like a real nice little boat BTW.

Your Johnno 25 is the same vintage as the 30 I have on a 13 footer here.
Great motors. Mine has ben running in salt all these years and is still going strong. Very little corrosion and the engine is as strong and solid as when it was new. Gotta be happy with that. :D

timber prep was already finished... I put down a coat of epoxy, then i've already filled the cracks and the screw holes with dookie schmootz to smooth them over.... just have some gentle dips in there now that need more filler... but was just concerned as to weather the glass needed to be as close to wood as possible or if I should smooth everything out perfect adding a few layers of filler and making my perfect smooth surface before putting the glass down. As it sits, the glass will apply nicely with no air bubbles from dips or holes... but the gentle dips still there will still have to be filled weather now or later.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Hey Jack............I heard that! :evil:

Chuck....Quit pok'n fun at Wimperdinks Mellow Yellow! Every picture we see of your projects has a can, or two, or three.....of Bud in it!

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Chuck....Quit pok'n fun at Wimperdinks Mellow Yellow! Every picture we see of your projects has a can, or two, or three.....of Bud in it!

Ah ha!! :D i just worked out what "mellow yellow' is.

Wimperdink, mate you are a man after my own heart. A man's gotta have something ta wash the sawdust down with, and dehydration is a terrible thing. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Mellow Yellow iz how ya build fast....real fast.

regards
bearridge

Groucho: It says here that you and your wife have eleven children. Why so many?
Contestant: Well, we just love kids.
Groucho: I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth sometimes.